Dapol "N" JHA 102 tonne aggregate hopper wagon - Dapol 2F-050-003. Most are terrible runners.

AndrueC

• RMweb Gold

How did these ever make it into production, Dapol? I've just bought seven of them and almost every one suffers from the wheels scraping the underside of the chassis.

image.png.b695acd1ec32f5c645ef52f7fe87f05a.png

Is this a known issue and/or is there a known solution?

Ordinarily I'd send them back to the retailer but I've just bought them from Hattons so I'd rather not go that route as I'm sure they have enough on their plate at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

Very useful information. I do also have one broken coupler but since it's only one I can have that as the last wagon. I'd have removed the coupler from it anyway. Mine will be permanently coupled so hopefully not a problem.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, AndrueC said:

How did these ever make it into production, Dapol? I've just bought seven of them and almost every one suffers from the wheels scraping the underside of the chassis.

image.png.b695acd1ec32f5c645ef52f7fe87f05a.png

Is this a known issue and/or is there a known solution?

Ordinarily I'd send them back to the retailer but I've just bought them from Hattons so I'd rather not go that route as I'm sure they have enough on their plate at the moment.

Make up some 10thou plasticard shims. They run a dream afterwards.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

Plus ça change... 

Weird reading that, I've got 20 BYAs and they run brilliantly.

Sticking some washers/shims under the bogies will solve it. Yes you probably shouldn't have to, but hey.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I picked up some black nylon washers today. They are a little too thick at 1mm but the bogeys remain attached when a wagon is picked up and the running is much improved. They do still seem to slow a bit more than other bogied wagons on curves but I don't think it'll be a problem. I've also removed all but the front coupler in preparation for some Hunt couplers that I have on order. Having read about the weak coupling I think I'd rather go that route even if I don't intend to uncouple the rake very often (ideally not until/unless the layout is dismantled).

I might eventually switch the washers out for .5mm if/when I see some but I have no problems with them now that they roll freely. They are good looking models but Dapol need to address the issue of wheel scraping and poor couplers before they order the next batch. And, honestly, selling a model railway wagon that more often than not fails to roll is very poor QA.

Edited by AndrueC

On 12/01/2024 at 13:41, njee20 said:

Weird reading that, I've got 20 BYAs and they run brilliantly.

Sticking some washers/shims under the bogies will solve it. Yes you probably shouldn't have to, but hey.

Well I had 9 (I've sold some off since) and they were all awful. Maybe it was a production batch thing: I bought all mine from the same retailer, Hattons, not in a single purchase but at about the same time; and they all ran really badly and made a screeching sound as they did.

This are the photos that accompanied my original blog post. In the first photo you can just about see the shiny spots where the wheel flanges have rubbed against the ribs. Once the ribs came off, all my BYAs ran perfectly, as do my other wagons fitted with the same bogie.

BYA-before.jpg.393b3672bcf6c26a2d473ac0d09b39e3.jpg

BYA-after.jpg.3b8eabe32c0b4fe90ebd9b47680db2f3.jpg

Jim

• RMweb Gold

The Hunt couplers arrived today so the rake is on my layout. It turns out it's a good thing I don't have enough siding to run eight as I doubt I'd have a loco that could do it. My Class 33 'Ashford' which was the intended loco can pull them but suffers wheel sleep going up one of my inclines (~1.5 degrees, 90 degree turn, radius in excess of 3rd). And slows a lot in the double 'S' at the next corner. It also derailed at a turnout toward the end of that 'S' one time. Luckily one of my Class 68s was able to step up. It also slows a bit on an 'S' curve but not as badly and you could just say that the drivers are being sensible :)

I think the limiting factor now is just the weight of the wagons. They are heavier than anything else I've got. To be fair that 'S' curve is a bit cruel especially with the turnout near the end of it. Maybe the wagons will improve with a bit more running but I have my doubts. Anyway they run well enough now.

Thanks for all your advice.

Edited by AndrueC