TT120 scale Class 313

Blefuscu

I just wanted to add an image of  what they look like now. Maybe its confirmation bias, but it seemed to me that they settled overnight and looked a lot better in the morning... I don't know if that really supports my theory of hygroscopic expansion. None of my methods are very scientific here, and problems often look better in the morning.

Also of note, my ICE3 bogies now have pickups. I recently discovered T7000 adhesive, having recently had to replace the screen on my son's phone, and I think it's pretty amazing. It describes itself as "Gravity magic rubber"

20240327_091549.jpg

20240327_091109.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blefuscu said:

I just wanted to add an image of  what they look like now. Maybe its confirmation bias, but it seemed to me that they settled overnight and looked a lot better in the morning... I don't know if that really supports my theory of hygroscopic expansion. None of my methods are very scientific here, and problems often look better in the morning.

Also of note, my ICE3 bogies now have pickups. I recently discovered T7000 adhesive, having recently had to replace the screen on my son's phone, and I think it's pretty amazing. It describes itself as "Gravity magic rubber"

20240327_091549.jpg

20240327_091109.jpg

Have you forwarded dated the 313 to represent UK rail in 2098 in a post apocalyptic dysposian future...with the mesh on windows has it cured the sagging window bars?

What can be glued with the t7000?

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Blefuscu said:

T7000 adhesive

Is that like an industrial strength UHU clear contact glue? If so, it may be similar to the E-6000 that I have used  on dissimilar materials for years to good and lasting effect.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, natterjack said:

Is that like an industrial strength UHU clear contact glue? If so, it may be similar to the E-6000 that I have used  on dissimilar materials for years to good and lasting effect.

Does it stick and string except where you want it to be?😀 

Would it be good for etched brass side to resin body?

1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Does it stick and string except where you want it to be?😀 

Would it be good for etched brass side to resin body?

These 'indusrial' versions are a lot less stringy than the domestic types and tend to have a longer cure time, but I'd recommend thinning any rubbery glue for applying etch. Award winning model aircraft scratch build Peter Castle uses thinned Evostic for his metal skinning; an example of his work in progress can be found here,

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/98687-118-supermarine-s6b-s1595/page/5/

• Informative/Useful 1

Further to the above, there are specially formulated water based glues for etch to plastic but I have no idea how durable they may be. Likely to be extensively used by the model ship and armoured vehicle fraternities on such as Britmodeller.

I've just found some in my tool shed; Gator's Grip and Gator's Grip Thin Blend (their recommendation for photo etch)

Edited by natterjack
update
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Have you forwarded dated the 313 to represent UK rail in 2098 in a post apocalyptic dysposian future...with the mesh on windows has it cured the sagging window bars?

What can be glued with the t7000?

It was partly inspired by the metal panels they bolt onto derelict buildings.

I don't know if it has cured the windows. These are better than my earlier prints... but they were also a different resin.

It looks like a black rubber cement, but smells like an impact adhesive. Might have to be careful bonding some plastics like styreen or hips.

Also quite a long curing time. I used clips to hold everything together...

...but it can hold glass screens onto metal/plastic phoned so I think it would be good for a range of non-porous materials. £4 for two tubes on amazon!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, natterjack said:

Maybe, it smells like a contact glue - but it's black. Has a bit of flex to it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Blefuscu said:

It was partly inspired by the metal panels they bolt onto derelict buildings.

I don't know if it has cured the windows. These are better than my earlier prints... but they were also a different resin.

It looks like a black rubber cement, but smells like an impact adhesive. Might have to be careful bonding some plastics like styreen or hips.

Also quite a long curing time. I used clips to hold everything together...

...but it can hold glass screens onto metal/plastic phoned so I think it would be good for a range of non-porous materials. £4 for two tubes on amazon!

Yep know the ones you on about lots in Liverpool on streets off smithdown road where they ripped down street houses to make new less populated communities...to be fair the houses on the hole where 30 years since some one cared for them so probably economic solution

The build looking well

Going to get someone that  glue for my 'glue box' and give it a go

I remember seeing rows of them when I was working up at Anfield. Not that we don't have a few in North London, but the impact of seeing a whole road boarded up has stayed with me.

I was just checking out the metalwork on that spitfire. That's incredible stuff... I don't think the T7000 would be a substitute for fine etched parts, I was going to use it mostly for holding the chassis parts/weights together.

1 hour ago, Blefuscu said:

I remember seeing rows of them when I was working up at Anfield. Not that we don't have a few in North London, but the impact of seeing a whole road boarded up has stayed with me.

I was just checking out the metalwork on that spitfire. That's incredible stuff... I don't think the T7000 would be a substitute for fine etched parts, I was going to use it mostly for holding the chassis parts/weights together.

You wouldn't recognise the streets now full of HMO for students especially near asda on smithdown Rd...

Ironically sight of a nutter hospital in 80s! Nothings changed but the litter is unbelievable! That's progress for you

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got the DM running today. Not a very exciting video! You can skim forward to see it running at different speeds.

It's been running for a couple of hours now on printed drive shafts...

I was hoping to get the carriage chassis going too but somehow the latest version of my bogies have 0.5mm less clearance!? I don't know how I ****** that one up, but they are painted now so will whittle them down rather than reprint.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

12 minutes ago, Blefuscu said:

I got the DM running today. Not a very exciting video! You can skim forward to see it running at different speeds.

I was hoping to get the carriage chassis going too but somehow the latest version of my bogies have 0.5mm less clearance!? I don't know how I ****** that one up, but they are painted now so will whittle them down rather than reprint.

Brill nice and smooth....hope you put toys away before tea!

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Brill nice and smooth....hope you put toys away before tea!

Ha ha, I think I'm good for another hour before I have to get food on the table!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just awesome work, great to see it running, a huge milestone. 

Take a bow sir !

Cheers

D.

17 hours ago, Blefuscu said:

23 hours ago, gc4946 said:

Impressed so far with your progress, what livery are you planning to complete your model?

Thanks. I'm going for a 1980's blue and grey... I've got 3 sets of usable bodies so I'm intending to paint up a couple of non-runners too. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Just awesome work, great to see it running, a huge milestone. 

Take a bow sir !

Cheers

D.

Thanks - yeah, it was wonderful to finally see it going. Especially with the Deltic still up on blocks. It's given me a real boost

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...