TT120 scale Class 313

Blefuscu

13 minutes ago, Blefuscu said:

I'm a bit nervous because I bought my ICE3 'on sale' on ebay... and then got stung with the tax and parcelfarce handling charge. 😂

That said, like you - i have been ok in the past.

Ebay its the wild West now....charge you but don't declare.....cowboys....some

3 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Ebay its the wild West now....charge you but don't declare.....cowboys....some

Oh.. don't get me started! Interestingly, they seemed a reputable shop. Even sent me nice catalogues.

I used to do a bit of 3d printing on etsy and ebay...  esty were asking me to shoulder so much responsibility for this stuff I just packed it in. Ebay was easier, but customers were paying and arm and a leg on worldwide shipping. It made me look awful, (compared to prices from China!), so now I just sell files. It's only pocket money to keep me in resin... and wheelsets.. after all!

18 minutes ago, Blefuscu said:

Oh.. don't get me started! Interestingly, they seemed a reputable shop. Even sent me nice catalogues.

I used to do a bit of 3d printing on etsy and ebay...  esty were asking me to shoulder so much responsibility for this stuff I just packed it in. Ebay was easier, but customers were paying and arm and a leg on worldwide shipping. It made me look awful, (compared to prices from China!), so now I just sell files. It's only pocket money to keep me in resin... and wheelsets.. after all!

My Pension pot is ready to be emptied. You draw I'll print! Got 5 pots of 1lt resin of ebay 64 quid...80 with voucher....got to get when cheap

• Funny 1

18 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

My Pension pot is ready to be emptied. You draw I'll print! Got 5 pots of 1lt resin of ebay 64 quid...80 with voucher....got to get when cheap

Yes, you have to get the deals when you see them. Although, I'm not so sure about the stuff I saddled myself with recently.

It's great to have your support - we're on one income at home, and it isn't mine! 😂 The trains need to pay for themselves!

• Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, Blefuscu said:

Yes, you have to get the deals when you see them. Although, I'm not so sure about the stuff I saddled myself with recently.

It's great to have your support - we're on one income at home, and it isn't mine! 😂 The trains need to pay for themselves!

Posted your 313 on 3mm e group so may be a odd download! There are a few banger blue fans in 3mm...one is tt100 on rmweb his stuff is spectacular 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Posted your 313 on 3mm e group so may be a odd download! There are a few banger blue fans in 3mm...one is tt100 on rmweb his stuff is spectacular 

Thanks!

I'm now laid up in bed after a minor op and can't do any modelling, so I've just been having a go at posting them on that Facebook instead. Normally I find social media too much like hard work. I'm only 50, so I think it must be neurological! too many notifications from too many directions. I don't think I will be able to maintain this flurry of activity,  and look forward to a return to vertex shifting soon.

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Many thanks for the very kind words Bradfordbuffer. I have to say that I have been looking at this thread and find Blefuscu's work amazing. While home 3d printing is not my area of interest per sey, I am absolutely loving the output.

The Deltic and its paint job is fantastic. The PEP derived EMU's are amazing, just think, a classic minories city terminus, either london or merseyside, with 313 or 507/8 and dmus plus a loco hauled parcels, would be immense.

So would 313 running on Jim Barry / Dave Wheelton's Aldgate Hill and Norton Folegate widened lines / Broad St inspired exhibition layout. Sorry Blefuscu for the 3mm dreaming thread drift, but do you see what you are responsible for....😆😆😉😉😉

Cheers and more power to your elbow (or 3d print knowledge) Blefuscu

Best

TT100 Diesels

• Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Many thanks for the very kind words Bradfordbuffer. I have to say that I have been looking at this thread and find Blefuscu's work amazing. While home 3d printing is not my area of interest per sey, I am absolutely loving the output.

The Deltic and its paint job is fantastic. The PEP derived EMU's are amazing, just think, a classic minories city terminus, either london or merseyside, with 313 or 507/8 and dmus plus a loco hauled parcels, would be immense.

So would 313 running on Jim Barry / Dave Wheelton's Aldgate Hill and Norton Folegate widened lines / Broad St inspired exhibition layout. Sorry Blefuscu for the 3mm dreaming thread drift, but do you see what you are responsible for....😆😆😉😉😉

Cheers and more power to your elbow (or 3d print knowledge) Blefuscu

Best

TT100 Diesels

Thank you! And I love the 3mm dreams! I think I mentioned somewhere my own dream is Hornsey station and depot, 1980, or trying to squeeze as much of it as I can into my loft - if I had a little bit more space I'd be tempted to print them in 3mm too... then i look at the railmaps and overhead photos i think it should be 2mm. Maybe that's how i ended up choosing tt, and modelling a deltic with no wheels 🤔

Whatever scale, it's great to hear other people take on these designs. As the number of designs out there increases, so do the possibilities...  combined with the really interesting stuff happening with Templot, I think these are good times.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Some BX1 bogie designs. I seem to have identified four variations...

These are just under 3cm long at 1:120, so I haven't gone overboard with rivets and cables. I have also back filled some of the space between components to (hopefully) give them a bit more mechanical strength. Hopefully these will look ok when the empty areas are blacked out and the components are picked out with frame dirt and brake dust.

The base I sketched out is mechanically compatible with a Piko one I had to hand. It's not very finished and subject to change, as I am thinking of use an M3 bolt to hold the bogies, or use an existing bogie and change the sides... Obviously, whatever I do here - I will make the free sides available.  

Bogie01.jpg

Bogie02 wt Base.jpg

Bogie02.jpg

Bogie03.jpg

Bogie04.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, natterjack said:

I'm assuming pinpoint bearings are to be used on the trailing bogies- just wondering if there is a regular UK source for the brass cups?

Several different ones avaliable 

I use 3mm society ones or for none members 3smr....Google will bring address

• Like 1

5 hours ago, natterjack said:

I'm assuming pinpoint bearings are to be used on the trailing bogies- just wondering if there is a regular UK source for the brass cups?

I noticed that https://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/ have n gauge top hat bearings too, which I presume would be ok.

I made a note about accommodating a recess for a brass bearing on the designs... but there are implications there when scaling the model up or down, so I just have the pinhole marks as a guide for now. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Blefuscu said:

I noticed that https://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/ have n gauge top hat bearings too, which I presume would be ok.

I made a note about accommodating a recess for a brass bearing on the designs... but there are implications there when scaling the model up or down, so I just have the pinhole marks as a guide for now. 

Get them whilst you can!

Shame as good range of stuff...ad some bits and vats off the stand at shows

Screenshot_20240215-021848_Chrome.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

3smr have 2 types of bearings

Thanks - I'll probably use one of those ultimately. I think there is going to be a bit of tinkering with the design before I fit the bearings.

I'm about to try a test print of the bogies...

Meanwhile I've added the .stls to the Class 313 on cults3d and have also listed them separately as a free design in case anybody wants to have a proper look at them. 

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/tt120-scale-bx1-bogies-for-class-313-emu

• Like 2

...and the ST.

underchassisST03.jpg.6e05c822739f10d780d530cd9557c7e5.jpg

The front bogie shown is the 210mm Halling H0m

https://shop.ferro-train.com/hallingShop/Article/ANT-ALX-210-H0M

I'm not intending to put a powered bogie on the second trailer, I was just offering it up for a look see.

You can find the 3D models of the Halling bogies here (they are in STEP format but easy to convert to .stl using freeCAD)

https://www.halling.at/Drehgestellantriebe-.html

• Like 5

Printed, they look something like this...

This was the second attempt as I'd used the wrong abs-like settings. "V2" feels very different to "+" too, they are quite different resins. I increased the supports 2nd run too.... Sometimes this printing game feels like witchcraft. 

The bogies were damaged in the first print run...  where two chassis adhered to the bed!! They are salvageable,  but I want to add a recess for my bearings (Peco n gauge ones) which have arrived.

Don't have a bogie yet. I'm still considering the Halling 21mm coreless one, as above... but need to sell some stl files first!

20240301_112308.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

To pick your brains, what sort of 3D print material would give the flexibility of modern RTR bogies which can be eased apart for wheel insertion etc. &  which seem to be some sort of polypropylene?

On 01/03/2024 at 14:01, natterjack said:

To pick your brains, what sort of 3D print material would give the flexibility of modern RTR bogies which can be eased apart for wheel insertion etc. &  which seem to be some sort of polypropylene?

Funny you should ask, but I just did a test fitting of Piko ICE3 wheels.

These bogies are printed in 'Anycubic ABS-like V2'. This was my first go with ABS V2, but it's very popular with in the Templot forum for printing chairs.

This wheelset popped in quite easily - but the resin hasn't been fully cure yet. It might be that it becomes too rigid and cracks once it's cured. However, it's predecessor, the 'ABS-like +' , remained slightly pliable even after curing so I'm hopeful that it will be ok.

I tried to fit a mueller 8.3mm tillig/bttb wheelset, but they have slightly longer pins. I'll need to re-version the bogie for those wheels if I use them and I'm also going to add holes for Peco NR-91 bearing cups anyway... these bogies are designed for the bin ultimately*, so that's no loss, but it's a promising start.

(*There's also a weird print defect on the back of the bogies where it skews off at 45 degrees before finishing off the print.)

fitted wheels.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

I've just cured the chassis, and it's still quite flexible at 2mm section.. The thicker bits seem very strong.

PS I've been curing them lashed to a wooden splint to prevent them turning into bananas, and that worked.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Blefuscu said:

I've been curing them lashed to a wooden splint

Forgive the oblique pun but we are on a learning curve with 3D much the same as with resin casting where control of distortion and shrinkage is a bit of a fine art that is only learned through trial and error.

19 minutes ago, natterjack said:

Forgive the oblique pun but we are on a learning curve with 3D much the same as with resin casting where control of distortion and shrinkage is a bit of a fine art that is only learned through trial and error.

Yep...can't make scrambled eggs without breaking the shell!

1st obstacle is getting it to grow out of build plate.... 

• Like 1