Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Trainspotting TV series on That's TV

montyburns56

I've just noticed today that there is a TV series on the That's TV Freeview channel called Trainspotting which features an hour's footage footage of the railways in the 1960s. Today's episode was called Waterloo Sunset and was unsurprisingly about the lines out of Waterloo  from 1958 to 1967. There was lots of nice footage of the various Spam Cans and their cousins and even some footage of the USA Dock Tank. I don't know what is the source of the footage, but there's going to be some future episodes about the other regions. The next episode is Steam In The Midlands Monday 15th Jan 13:05 and then Bewdley to Blaenau Tuesday 16th Jan 13:05. Unfortunately it seems that there are eight episodes and most of them have already been shown. 😠

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...

There's some new railway shows on That's TV in the next week. There's a series called Railways: Now And Then with an episode for each region (SR & GWR episodes have already been shown)

Railways: Now & Then LMS Monday 29th April 12:10

Railways: Now & Then LNER Wednesday 1st May 12: 10 

Railways: Now & Then British Rail Thursday 2nd May 12:20

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It's also worth keeping an eye on their second channel, That's TV 2 (Fv65). This week it looks like they are showing films on Irish railways at 5am.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Nile said:

It's also worth keeping an eye on their second channel, That's TV 2 (Fv65). This week it looks like they are showing films on Irish railways at 5am.

Yeah, I was going to start a new thread about those as well.

I watched the LMS episode and it has some nice footage of the Cromford & High Peak line in it's last few years and ironically even the "modern" footage in the episode is now historical as it looks like it was taken in the late 90s.

On 28/04/2024 at 16:05, montyburns56 said:

There's some new railway shows on That's TV in the next week. There's a series called Railways: Now And Then with an episode for each region (SR & GWR episodes have already been shown)

If you have Amazon Prime, they are listed as available via Prime Video.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 12/01/2024 at 18:10, montyburns56 said:

I've just noticed today that there is a TV series on the That's TV Freeview channel called Trainspotting which features an hour's footage footage of the railways in the 1960s.

A couple of months ago they showed 5 programmes Mon-Fri on preserved lines.

They were quite old (2011-12?) and rather in the vein of those Demand branded DVDs that were often in the clearance stores.

Worth a look though if they show them again.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Railways then and now, originally published by Ian Allan Ltd in 1996.

Other recent films of interest were some preserved railway histories by Demand media c2011:

Bluebell,Swanage,G&WR,Avon Valley & Didcot.

As the current ones are repeats chances are they will be shown again.

On 29/04/2024 at 10:41, Nile said:

I've tried to record two of them and in both cases my PVR has said that the episodes were not actually broadcast, so I'm wondering if it's a mistake on the EPG or something else.

• RMweb Premium

I've also failed to record them. It could be an error, or it could be the channel isn't on-air on freeview at that time (like their main channel).

Either way I hope they get repeated at a more watchable time.

• Agree 1

On 28/04/2024 at 16:05, montyburns56 said:

I've just got around to watching the BR episode and it's the best of the lot in my opinion. There's some magnificent footage of the electrified Harton Colliery with one great shot of the shunter riding a wagon being gravity shunted with his foot on the brake. It would give any H&S inspector an aneurysm! There's also footage of the Woodhead line in it's last years, the Metropolitan line with footage of the LT Pannier, Battery locos and the Q Stock. Also featured is the industrial steam at Mountain Ash in the 70s and some S&D footage.

NCB 13 Harton 13-7-89 (1)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/04/2024 at 10:41, Nile said:

On 30/04/2024 at 17:15, montyburns56 said:

I've tried to record two of them and in both cases my PVR has said that the episodes were not actually broadcast, so I'm wondering if it's a mistake on the EPG or something else.

On 30/04/2024 at 18:16, Nile said:

I've also failed to record them. It could be an error, or it could be the channel isn't on-air on freeview at that time (like their main channel).

Either way I hope they get repeated at a more watchable time.

It could be the channel not putting the required or correct info into the data stream.

The "budget" channels are notorious for get things wrong.

• Informative/Useful 1