RAILEX (Aylesbury) 25th & 26th May 2024

gazzaday

• RMweb Premium

Railex has been the best exhibition for years that I can get to and as always looks to be an outstanding line up. 

With events disappearing and layouts dropping off the circuit due to many factors I’m sure we are all aware of, the organisers must be congratulated on putting this together and working to overcome difficulties presented. Too hot. Too wet. Too cold. We have to accept that there will always be a limit to what can be done - if anything, given that as stated above there is no alternative venue.

I for one am looking forward to Railex24 

Brian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Having managed Railex from 2005 to 2019 we had a team at the stadium management who was consistent and knew what we wanted and would go out of the way to help us. Covid found many of the long term staff move on and the centre taken over by Serco, so when we returned last year, we were faced with a whole new management team, so we had to go through all the stuff that had been automatic in the planning stage in previous years.

We have look at other venues but there is nothing which is local or affordable. The bowels Hall is on the same site, so we were not starting with a black sheet of paper. Hopefully we will be back in the main hall in 2025. Until you have run at least one show in a new location there is no way all issues that may arise on the day can be planned out. Hopefully this year we can learn and overcome things that happened last year.

Tim Peacock the exhibition manager and the rest of the Railex team are putting together a superb show for 2024, So feedback and constructive criticism are fine if it helps to make Railex a better show, although many things including the weather are outside our control.  The only way RAILEX will continue if we have enough visitors to cover our costs. So, if you can visit this year, we would love to see you.

David

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Just now, Penrhos1920 said:

Is there a bus service from Aylesbury station this year?  Or am I thinking of a different show?

We hope to, I have been in contact with the owner of the bus who is happy to do it, but he needs to arrange his drivers as he doesn't drive the bus himself.  So yep we should have green Routemaster.

David 

• Thanks 1

On 03/02/2024 at 15:45, Gilbert said:

and let's hope the organisers continue their good work. ....

I was there for a whole day in 2023 on a stand and although I enjoyed my al fresco lunch it was tolerable all day

52930501132_b693acae61_c.jpg

at least visitors had the option of popping out to enjoy the late Spring sunshine - however in view of the prevailing conditions at the time  I did wear shorts....as I do to Railwells (and quite  a few the venues these days) whatever the weather forecast.....

My Railex 2023 album is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/103471893@N02/albums/72177720308616327/

Chris H

I feel really hungry now..................................🙂

Just to say that BEIJIAO will be at Aylesbury this year, or perhaps I should say BEIJIAO.v4 will be at Aylesbury this year.

My layout has had several upgrades since its original launch on the exhibition circuit as with each showing we have learnt more and consequently made upgrades.

The layout is set in a remote part of NE China in 2001 where main line steam was till holding on by the skin of its teeth and with only a few weeks/months before main line steam finally ended, many railfans like me went over to take photos and videos. 

Our mission is twofold - if serious enthusiasts want to learn about what it was like to travel around China in the early part of this century and photograph 'big steam' in action we will be there to chat about our experiences and pass on our knowledge, but if the 'average visitor' just wants to see plenty of action - we will be there to entertain.

Keighley1.jpg.168b38e4dc6cf7377e8120966e58cbae.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

Unfortunately, Dingo Servo Mounts are no longer able to attend Railex 2024.  We will publish an up to date schedule of layouts and traders, as well as a floor plan in due course.

I must agree that the Sports Hall is the prefered venue, and the heat in the Bowls Hall in 2023 was oppressive, so here's hoping that both the weather and the ventilation are kind to us this year. It has always been a great show, the organisers are helpful and if the Bowls Hall is the only option, we will keep our fingers crossed.

However I am reminded that the Sports Hall also could get very warm, unless your stand was under the vents at the far end, which meant that folk at that end wore coats, while the rest of us were in shorts and teashirts.

Looking forward to the weekend.

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Please find attached the Floor Plan for our forthcoming Railex 2024 exhibition.  Unfortunately, James Street has had to be withdrawn at late notice due to personal reasons.  Nevertheless, we still have twelve great layouts on show plus a good selection of quality traders.

Layout list.jpg

Railex Floor Plan numbers.pdf

Edited by gazzaday
Updated Floor Plan with Key.
  • Like 1

How far below the walkway is the bowls floor? I would be slightly concerned that the likes of Baijiao that have a facia above the layout might find that the 'letterbox' can only be seen into by sitting on the floor!

Alas I'm in Switzerland that weekend so sadly won't be going, which is a bit of a shame as I'm also missing Expo this weekend.

Jon

I would say that that the walkway is approximately 12" above the floor of the Bowls Hall.  We experienced no problems viewing the layouts last year.  We will be publishing a promotional video soon, which will show images from last year to demonstrate the views that can be expected.

Please find attached a promotional video for our forthcoming Railex 2024 exhibition.  It is going to be an exceptional event with 12 exquisite layouts and 29 quality traders.  We look forward to seeing you there.

Railex 2024

1 hour ago, gazzaday said:

Please find attached a promotional video for our forthcoming Railex 2024 exhibition.  

Just a very small point, your description of the Chinese HO layout, BEIJIAO, is slightly wrong - whilst I have been a member of Twickenham & District MRC for 55 years, the layout is actually my personal layout and not a club layout. Also, since the layout's return after COVID it has been slightly re-imagined. It is now set in 2001 (not 2004 as previously) and whilst the steam powered industrial remains as before, the three main lines are now all part of China Rail - a double track line which will eventually reach Beijing and a bi-directional line which links to local cities and coal mines.

The reason for the re-imagination is that back in 2001 there was still some steam left in one remote area of NE China and so this allows us to run steam on all three main lines tracks, whereas in 2004 steam was banned from China Rail. So, we are now set just weeks before the end of steam on China rail and the layout has many Western photographers with their cameras ready to record the last days of steam on China rail.

IMG_20230118_150500.jpg.3ce2b91028da18874a844933fdf1b4fc.jpg

• Like 1

In the run up to Railex 2024 we will be highlighting the great layouts that you’ll be able to see. Today it’s….

Alexander Sidings (Stand 13)

As seen in BRM. A 7mm scale layout set in the BR blue era in the mid to late 1970s in the North West of England. It depicts a low level small urban station and a higher level parcels concentration depot and loco refuelling point. DCC operated with sound, exhaust smoke and lighting.

Roy

image.png.6ea3d2054dd4dabf5caef8f0fe2ba481.png

Photo courtesy of BRM / Warners  - Photo taken by Phil Paker

• Like 4

Beijiao (Stand 20)

As featured in Continental Modeller. A large Chinese HO layout set in 2001 weeks before the end of steam on China Rail allowing steam, as well as diesels. on the main line tracks. And in the background, you’ll be able to see industrial steam – large 2-8-2s hauling coal cars from the nearby mines heading to the steelworks, banked by two locos to assist in the 1 in 30 climb. Read the full story here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/87250-beijiao-a-large-chinese-ho-exhibition-layout-set-in-the-21st-century/#comment-1491965

Exhibited by Paul Stapleton

Photograph by Andrew Burnham, Courtesy of Continental Modeller

Roy

Beijiao10ab.jpg.352090cb0af47926ecafc790bb99ebc5.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We hope to confirm the vintage  bus timetable soon and recommend  that visitors park in the Friars Croft by the station and Morrisons car park and get the vintage bus to and from the show.   

We have also secured additional free car parking in the hospital staff car parking, but ensure you follow the instructions from our car park marshals as parking in the hospital itself is chargeable and you may end up with a ticket.

David

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Lord Nelson said:

Beijiao10ab.jpg.352090cb0af47926ecafc790bb99ebc5.jpg

As it happens, that photo was taken quite early in the layout's development, since then BEIJIAO has been re-invented with a somewhat different backscene!

received_1364059077609706.jpeg.dfb3d499d6faa29cf10650a61ea7aaad.jpeg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Canada Street (Stand 28)

One of your last opportunities to see this fine layout before it is retired. It is exhibited in memory of Peter Johnson, the builder, with the kind help of his wife and friends.

As seen in BRM, the 4mm EM gauge layout aims to recreate the working environment of the numerous small diesel shunting engines once operated by BR. Operation portrays various locations around Britain between 1960 and 1979. Engines and wagons accurately model the rolling stock from whichever year and area are being displayed. Buildings are modelled on prototypes from a variety of real dockside locations.

Roy

Photo supplied by the Canada Street team

Class08inthesortingsidings.jpg.ae90cc66124d92fc8f02b9efcab7ddab.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Exchange Sidings (Stand 23)

A 2mm finescale BR layout, set in the 1950s, depicting a fictional location, inspired by the Woodhead line, where the overhead electrification scheme ends and where steam and electric locos rub shoulders. It consists of loco exchange sidings with stabling roads and a turntable. The steam locos are modelled on those based at either Barnsley or Mexborough. The EM1 locos were unique to the Woodhead system.

Roy

Photo - Alan Whitehouse

ExchangeSidings-AlanWhitehouse(1).jpg.cba05ffd0b5aae7ab2b4494b5d172a98.jpg

• Like 2

STOP PRESS!!!!

We are pleased to announce that Guyzance or as its probably better known ‘Shelfie 2’, as seen in Model Rail, has been added to the already terrific layout line up. This is a 4mm scale OO gauge layout depicting a 1970s Northumbrian rural coal disposal point at Guyzance, a small drift mine, 30 miles north of Newcastle. 

Photo - Paul Marshall-Potter

image2.jpeg.4e7532b3afe49002d3430fe2add2d925.jpeg

Also, we have just heard that, unfortunately, Intentio Models will not now be able to attend the show.

Roy

Edited by Lord Nelson
Additional info.
  • Like 2