R&DMRC Facebook Railex 2024

Saturday 10.00-17.30
Sunday 10.00-16.30

Layouts Attending:

7mm Scale

Alexandra Sidings - 1970s Blue Diesel parcels operation, based in NW England
Midland in Tewkesbury - Midland Railway C1907

4mm Scale

Brighton East - Circa 2000 Southern Region 3rd Rail.
Canada Street - BR Docklands shunting yard 1960-1979
Lowburn Park - North Eastern Railway, period about 1910
Market Bosworth - Period - 1908. Market Bosworth station and goods yard. Ashby & Nuneaton Joint Railway (MR and LNWR)
Mostyn - BR North Wales Coast main line in Summer 1977
Trerice - China Clay working

2mm Scale

Exchange Sidings - Early Manchester-Sheffield-Wath (Woodhead Line) electrics and steam locomotives. Fictional set of steam/electric loco exchange sidings.
James Street - BR steam & green diesels
Lighterman’s Yard - South East London in the late 1950's early 1960s

HO Scale

Beijiao - Accurate depiction of China In 2001
Pottendorf - DB - West Germany Era 3 / 4 (1950’s/60’s)

Traders

247 Developments

Alan Gibson

Artmaster (Brushes for models)

Bill Hudson Books

Cambrian Model Rail

C&L Finescale

Cheltenham Model Centre

CSP Models

Dart Castings

DE Video/Legomanbiffo

Dingo Servo Mounts

Golden Arrow Productions

Intentio

Isinglass Models

Judith Edge Kits

London Road Models

Minerva Model Railways

PenBits Model Railways

Petite Properties

Prickley Pear Products

Roger Carpenter Photographs

Roxey Mouldings

Severn Models

Squires/South Eastern Finecast/Greenscene

Stoneybridge Structures

Sunningwell Command Control Ltd: Digitrax Soundtraxx

Tim Horn Lasercut Baseboards

Demonstrations/Societies

The 2mm Scale Association

Gauge O Guild

Missenden Abbey Railway Modellers

Paul Bambrick Dioramas & Backscenes

Pendon Museum

Scalefour Society

The Scale Seven Group

Railex 2024 Advert A5 Final.jpg

Edited by gazzaday
Additional Traders added
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

33 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Is it going to be in the bowls hall again this year, or are you back in the main hall?

Yes, it is in the Bowls Hall again.  Unfortunately, we could not get the Main Hall, as the stadium were concerned about damaging the new floor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gazzaday said:

Yes, it is in the Bowls Hall again.  Unfortunately, we could not get the Main Hall, as the stadium were concerned about damaging the new floor.

what is been done about the Heat as last year it was way to hot as a trader we could not take a brake to recover i may have to think about atteding if notting is been done 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, gazzaday said:

OK, thanks. That's a bit disappointing, to be honest. I appreciate that it's beyond your control and it's too late to do anything about it now for this year. But if the stadium is going to continue being unhelpful, then maybe the time has come to look at a new venue altogether for 2025.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, mozzer models said:

what is been done about the Heat as last year it was way to hot as a trader we could not take a brake to recover i may have to think about atteding if notting is been done 

We too share your concerns about potential heat issues.  We are working with the Stadium to ensure that ventilation system is operational in the event of hot weather.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, MarkSG said:

OK, thanks. That's a bit disappointing, to be honest. I appreciate that it's beyond your control and it's too late to do anything about it now for this year. But if the stadium is going to continue being unhelpful, then maybe the time has come to look at a new venue altogether for 2025.

We have looked locally to source alternative venues of comparable size and competitive cost, but to no avail thus far.  If anyone has any suggestions, we will gladly investigate.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Having attended as a trader's assistant for a number of years, I found the Bowls Hall a poor substitute for the main hall last year. This seems to be another example of a sports venue failing to respect the value of one of its regular customers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Having attended as a trader's assistant for a number of years, I found the Bowls Hall a poor substitute for the main hall last year. This seems to be another example of a sports venue failing to respect the value of one of its regular customers.

If its that or nothing I know what I'd go for....well done to the organisers for perservering...

Chris H

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2024 at 20:59, Gilbert said:

If its that or nothing I know what I'd go for....well done to the organisers for perservering...

Chris H

I agree. I would rather the show were in the bowls hall than not have it at all. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I agree. I would rather the show were in the bowls hall than not have it at all. 

Generally, I’d agree but the heat last year made it almost unbearable in there and caused us to shorten our visit significantly. If similar conditions prevail this year then we probably wouldn't go, the time we were able to spend at the show didn’t justify the 200+ mile round trip.

I can understand the reluctance of traders, even exhibitors, to commit when they risk having to endure that kind of heat for a couple of days. Hopefully the ventilation system will be able to maintain a more comfortable environment for them, it’s still a key show on the calendar and it would be a real shame if it was another one that was lost for the want of a suitable venue.

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, RANGERS said:

Generally, I’d agree but the heat last year made it almost unbearable in there and caused us to shorten our visit significantly. If similar conditions prevail this year then we probably wouldn't go, the time we were able to spend at the show didn’t justify the 200+ mile round trip.

Yes, I feel much the same. I don't want this to come across as critical of the organisers, because I know this situation isn't of their making and they're still doing their best to put on a great show in less than ideal circumstances. But the reality is that the bowls hall isn't as good a venue as the sports hall, not just because of the heat but also because it's smaller. One of the things I like about Railex is that it's always gone for quality over quantity, so the show doesn't feel cramped and you can spend plenty of time at each layout and still see them all, making for a good day out. But the bowls hall loses that, it feels cramped, so you feel less like lingering longer over the layouts.  And even with the organisers' best efforts there have to be fewer layouts present.  So it doesn't feel like a "whole day" show in that environment - last year, we ended up leaving a good two or three hours earlier than previously, because we just felt that we'd done everything in that time. But if I'm not going to spend all day there, then Aylesbury is a bit too far to justify the travel time. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

It's still going to be a good show and worth a visit.

and let's hope the organisers continue their good work. ....

I was there for a whole day in 2023 on a stand and although I enjoyed my al fresco lunch it was tolerable all day

52930501132_b693acae61_c.jpg

at least visitors had the option of popping out to enjoy the late Spring sunshine - however in view of the prevailing conditions at the time  I did wear shorts....as I do to Railwells (and quite  a few the venues these days) whatever the weather forecast.....

My Railex 2023 album is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/103471893@N02/albums/72177720308616327/

Chris H

• Like 1

There have been a number of comments on this post regarding the proposed venue for this year's Railex.  While the Bowl's Hall is not the Club's preferred first choice, in area, it is only slightly smaller than the Sports Hall.  The issues last year caused by the hot weather have been taken on board and we are working with the Stadium to ensure that there is adequate ventilation in the event of hot weather.  This is in addition to advising traders and layout owners regarding appropriate clothing and providing additional standalone electric fans to make the event more comfortable.

And to be absolutely clear - there are no alternative affordable venues available.  For next year we are hoping to be back in the Sports Hall if a cost-effective solution can be found to protecting the recently refurbished flooring.

Whilst we welcome comments on this thread to improve the show, we sincerely request that this is not tempered with unfounded scaremongering about what may or may not happen.  The confirmed layouts and traders for 2024 speak for themselves http://www.railex.org.uk.  And, whilst we already have plenty of trader and layout owner confirmations for 2025, we are also aware of the need for continued support for this event from traders, layout owners and attendees alike.  Without this support, Railex like Warley will no longer be a feature in the model railway calendar.

Successive RMWeb surveys show that Railex is considered one of the best independent model railway shows in the country. Unlike other large shows, we do not have big trade names to support our event, for which the operating margins are narrow, and the effort put in by Club members is considerable.

As far as this year is concerned, there will be a stellar line up of traders and quality layouts that you have come to expect from this event.  We look forward to seeing you there.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

I have attended Railex for many years, both as an exhibitor and a trader's assistant. It remains one of my few "go to" shows despite the advancing years and a round trip of over 240 miles to get there.

Last year the conditions in the Bowls Hall were not ideal owing to the weather. I also missed the spacious feel and relaxed atmosphere of the main hall.

Sadly, we are poorly served for good exhibition accommodation in this country. Few venues combine a comfortable venue, ease of access, good catering, good HVAC, adequate parking, easy access by public transport, etc. Railex achieved this with the main hall (although the catering is somewhat restricted) but the Bowls Hall was a let down last year. Hopefully the weather will be more moderate this year and conditions will be more comfortable for visitor, exhibitors and traders.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have been a member of Risborough MRC for a little bit longer than Railex, yes the main hall is better than the bowls hall but only just for it height, both suffer from heat, big tin roof on main hall, lower roof on bowls hall. Unlike some shows that are on different levels ours being on an accessible for all level is better for all.

I am normally on car park duties some years it has been extremely hot others totally wet, the weather is for ever changing. 

Catering has been an issue for many years depending on catering staff availability, it is a sports hall for others as well.

Please support the exhibition team lots of hard work goes into trying to keep every one happy, but you cant please every one.

Ian G

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Ian,

no one is, as far as I can see, criticising RMRC and the organising team, who do a great job.

My criticism is aimed at those venue owners/operators who provide poor facilities for the revenues they receive.