DIGITRAX DCS210 - Does it have a sniffport?

Ok, let me start by saying that I am not a DCC expert/enthusiast - I know virtually nothing about DCC. I use a DIGITRAX DCS 210

I have a DCC problem and a friend who lives some distance from me has asked me if my system has a sniffport. 

Can someone answer that for me please?

Thanks

Paul

I am not sure that Digitrax even knows what a sniffer port is and looking at the specs on your command station doesn't suggest that it have one, or that capability.

What are you trying to do that needs the use of a sniffer port?

• RMweb Gold

Digitrax uses Loconet protocol for all its communication, so has need to 'sniff' anything else. What your DCS210+ - sold only as part of an Evolution Express combo, I think - has is a USB port, which may enable the knowledgeable (not me!) to connect an Arduino, which I believe can be configured to be used as a sniffer. 

Iain

Thanks as usual.

I travelled over to my friend (who does all my DCC sound installations) yesterday. He spent over 2 hours dealing with various problems I had. He uses a Z21 system. By the end, all the locos performed well on his system.

When I tried the same locos today on Digitrax system some reverted to their original problems and one had developed a new problem.

I have no idea what a snifferpoint does but I gather it might make solving my problem easier - may7be allowing him to communicate with my system?

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

A sniffer port enables a command station to read the output from another command station. The Z21 is able to read the commands output by a DCS210 (or 210+) but not vice versa.

I suggest that what you might need to do is to use the USB output into a PC that is running Loconet-Checker to see what commands and instructions are being sent from your DCS210. A Z21 would not provide that functionality because all it would do is take the DCC Commands and transit them onto the track run by the Z21 - the Z21 cannot read the DCS210 Loconet and you should not connect the two Loconet together as you will either damage the Z21, the DCS210 or potentially (and probably) both because a Loconet must have one, and only one master - and the 210 and Z21 are both masters.