Warning from McAfee (scam)

I left an RMWeb page open. When I cam back a few hours later, there was a message supposedly from McAfee saying my anti-virus had expired and I had to take action.

This was undoubtedly a scam, and taking the action they wanted would have resulted in an infected computer.

The browser had redirected me to a new web pae that used the domain eu.securitypatch.life . I would guess this resulted from one of the adverts on the page. Users should beware, admins will hopefully investigate and stop said adverts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators

There have been no other reports and it cannot be replicated here.

Please run Malwarebytes or similar on your system rather than sending me barbed comments via the Report facility.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I've had something similar with regards a McAfee subscription, but I couldn't replicate it.  I was on an RMweb page and it was replaced by a message about an out of date McAfee subscription.  Hitting the back arrow in the browser (I use Chrome) returned me to RMweb.  I'm not sure of the reason and there didn't seem to be any issues afterwards.  It's happened about three times over the last month, but that's only a tiny fraction of a percentage of the number of pages of RMweb that I view, so it's not common.  However, I haven't had the same issue on any other website.  Obviously you can't fix what you can't replicate, and I can't really help identify the cause.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just for info this also happened to me about the same time. I'm using Firefox. Closed the browser and ran a Malwarebyte scan. Nothing detected.

On the McAfee knowledge center (Document ID: 000001899) It says 'These types of messages aren't 'pop-ups' in the traditional sense. These messages are web push notifications that are generated from websites that aren't associated with McAfee'.

It gives info on how to turn off web push notifications depending on your browser.

Paul

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Hitting the back arrow in the browser (I use Chrome) returned me to RMweb

If you let me know the URL of that page I can look further.

However, if there's any resident malware on a system it could be time-based or randomised rather than anything within the page.

The recommendation to run Malwarebytes applies here too.

• Moderators

@AY Mod I had the same last night (19:27 ish if it helps with log file reviewing!) when visiting 

Chrome browser running on Windows 10.

Edited to add that it has literally just happened (16:30) while I left the Cavalex Class 56 thread open - 

Definitely coming from that page as once on the scam page, the back button takes me back to the RMWeb page. Rogue advert maybe? Run Malwarebytes and that is coming back completely clear.

Edited by MartynJPearson
More information
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/01/2024 at 15:55, AY Mod said:

Please run Malwarebytes or similar on your system rather than sending me barbed comments via the Report facility.

Either yesterday or Saturday I had the same thing on my computer after leaving my computer on with RMweb running, I do have McAfee software since buying a new laptop and brought an annual subscription earlier this month. Clearly it was a malware, whether it came from RMweb or was just a phishing exercise I have no idea, certainly was not picked up by my McAfee or produced by them 

• Like 1

Happened to me again today. Left Rmweb open in two tabs while at work, came home and Mcafee spam page loaded. The back history for the tab goes back to Rmweb in both cases. I left around 20 tabs open across two browser windows and the only ones affected are RMweb, so I am personally satisfied that it is an RMweb issue rather than malware installed on my machine (I have 15 years experience in IT so would like to think I am qualified to spot/resolve malware).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, georgeds said:

so would like to think I am qualified to spot/resolve malware

So which page(s) had you left open?

I’ve had the same issue on two different PCs with different virus/malware software installed. It’s happened several times. 
Always when RMweb has been left open in the background and I’m looking at something else. Hence it’s impossible to say which adverts etc were showing at the time. 
Mol

6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

So which page(s) had you left open?

It actually just did it in front of my eyes while I was typing the original response to this.

Earlier today I'd left open this thread, ironically, along with the thread "when the real thing looks like a photo". Other tabs left open were variety of model railway suppliers, social media, pistonheads forum, youtube etc.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

I’ve had the same issue on two different PCs with different virus/malware software installed. It’s happened several times. 
Always when RMweb has been left open in the background and I’m looking at something else. Hence it’s impossible to say which adverts etc were showing at the time. 
Mol

Same here. I'm on my home/gaming PC now but experienced exactly the same thing on my work laptop as well.

Had  this  this  morning,  looking  at  the  Penryn  Castle  thread  at  about  10.05,  suddenly  just  went  into  the  McAfee  page,  clicking  return  put  me  back  in  the whats  new  index  where  I  had  been  before  the  Penryn  page.

Pete

• Moderators
20 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Anyway; it's been referred on to the ad-techs for investigation.

I have been live monitoring this for two days and have yet to see any such ad crop up, so there is not much I can do. If the issue persists, please request the URL linking to the advert, and I will be able to do some deeper digging.

So we'll need more/better information on any observations.

Andy, just now I had just left "The Night Mail" and was about to enter "Wright Writes".  Went upstairs to get some information, came down and the screen was plastered with MacAfee warnings, Bill

image.png.aad775cc299b232e4b5fd4de21b4e1f5.png

The above page popped up whilst I was browsing the thread below just a few minutes ago.  I think this is the only time it's popped up whilst reading a thread - the other times were when I wasn't actively browsing.

11 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

image.png.aad775cc299b232e4b5fd4de21b4e1f5.png

The above page popped up whilst I was browsing the thread below just a few minutes ago.  I think this is the only time it's popped up whilst reading a thread - the other times were when I wasn't actively browsing.

i've had this twice in the last few days on my chromebook.

• Moderators

The common behaviour seems to be if a page is left open.

The critical thing would be to find what Google ads were displaying before the pop-up is spawned. I accept this is a difficult thing to pin down 

For anyone who has had these pop-ups; do you actually have McAfee on your system or not?