Warning from McAfee (scam)

11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

... For anyone who has had these pop-ups; do you actually have McAfee on your system or not?

I'm not sure that that actually matters, I have had similar "renew your McAfee" messages come up on my Android phone which certainly does not have McAfee . It's a very popular trick at the moment to get you to click on a link you really don't want to.

My primary PC, which does has McAfee installed (as well as very effective ad-blockers), also regularly displays what appear to be fake "registry issue", "need-to-renew", etc messages. It just seems to be a thing at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I too am getting similar messages from McAfee on one of the PC's I use at various web sites. So far it has not happened on RmWeb. (The PC does have McAfee installed and a full system scan shows no problems). On anther PC, with a different internet connection and Norton as the firewall/virus scanner I have not had any problems, though I don't use that PC as often so it could just be a coincidence. It appears to me that the 'McAfee' messages is just the latest scam on the web at the moment. When I have time I might visit the McAfee site to see if they are aware of what is happening and any fix, if one is possible.

Edited by MartinRS
typo
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, MartinRS said:

I too am getting similar messages from McAfee on one of the PC's I use at various web sites. So far it has not happened on RmWeb

Which is something that can confound attempts to hunt something like this down. Just because it shows over an RMweb tab it doesn't necessarily mean it's triggered it - it could be from elsewhere at an earlier of time. Understandably a user would report it here but it may just be because they spend more time on this site than others.

39 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

The common behaviour seems to be if a page is left open.

The critical thing would be to find what Google ads were displaying before the pop-up is spawned. I accept this is a difficult thing to pin down 

For anyone who has had these pop-ups; do you actually have McAfee on your system or not?

I agree that the page being left open seems to be a common trigger, although today's instance for me wasn't.  I was actually reading a post, when the screen scrolled up and then the McAfee page replaced the RMweb URL.  Obviously since it's unexpected, I suspect it will be impossible to identify the ads on the screen before the McAfee page pops up.

In my case, it's a work laptop, which does have McAfee drive encryption, but not McAfee Total Protection, which is what the popup indicates needs to be renewed. I do have a folder for McAfee Endpoint Security, but it's now Trellix Endpoint Security that is now running on this laptop.

• Informative/Useful 1

55 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

The critical thing would be to find what Google ads were displaying before the pop-up is spawned. I accept this is a difficult thing to pin down 

For anyone who has had these pop-ups; do you actually have McAfee on your system or not?

Or

Are they getting pop ups elsewhere as well ??? Nowt on Apple Mac.

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I have had this a number of times.  I'm not convinced it's RMweb-specific, I've had it happen to other tabs left open too, although RMweb was also open elsewhere at the time.  I have removed McAfee (which was installed but not used) and Malwarebytes found nowt, and still had it happen subsequently.  I'm using firefox, not seen it on other brwosers, but I don't often use them.

I am also getting spam emails purporting to be from Mcafee; obviousy I've not clicked om those.

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Yes I have McAfee, problem not reoccurred 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I have not had time time contact McAfee about the renewal scam yet. (I am not using the network with McAfee as its scanner). I did a web search and found this https://malwaretips.com/blogs/mcafee-membership-renewal-scam-email/ which suggests McAfee is aware of one manifestation the scam. "According to McAfee, over half of the recipients targeted by these scam messages didn’t even have an active McAfee subscription at the time, proving just how fabricated the renewals are." I'll read the full article sometime today if I have time.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, MartinRS said:

I'm failing to see what anyone can expect McAfee can do about the scam as it doesn't originate from them mind you.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

I'm failing to see what anyone can expect McAfee can do about the scam

Proactively alert their subscribers as to the existence of the scams using their name? Use their resources to track down the scammers (via the banking system), who are abusing the McAfee name and logo? I see that MacAfee are already taking action by offering a new service to protect users against scammers. https://www.mcafee.com/en-gb/index.html

6 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

I'm failing to see what anyone can expect McAfee can do about the scam as it doesn't originate from them mind you.

Their concern will be about the impact of this scam on their reputation, it must be costing them lost customers.

1 hour ago, MartinRS said:

Proactively alert their subscribers as to the existence of the scams using their name? Use their resources to track down the scammers (via the banking system), who are abusing the McAfee name and logo? I see that MacAfee are already taking action by offering a new service to protect users against scammers. https://www.mcafee.com/en-gb/index.html

That assumes those complaining about the phishing have actually lost any money through info gathered in this way, and the banks would only know that somebody has gained money from compromised accounts - not how the data got stolen.

41 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Their concern will be about the impact of this scam on their reputation, it must be costing them lost customers.

That assumes those complaining about the phishing have actually lost any money through info gathered in this way, and the banks would only know that somebody has gained money from compromised accounts - not how the data got stolen.

I was thinking along the lines of McAfee setting up a bank account, putting a small amount of money into it and then paying for the faux McAfee and tracking the money with the intention of raising an alert about the recipient bank account. (I do know that many scammers circumvent this with the 'buy me a gift card' scam though).

The fact that McAfee's new anti-scam software makes no mention of it preventing the faux McAfee scam does support your suggestion that they are concerned about their reputation especially as the BBC featured the McAfee scam a couple of years ago. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/42Jp1zjjqZBvSFPf5LhzHKv/mcafee-scam-nov-2021 There is a mention of the faux McAfee on one of McAfee's support pages. https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS103285&page=shell&shell=article-view The pop-up subscription warning appears to be  new variation on the earlier email scam.

I have always found McAfee scanner to be too opaque for my liking, which is why I prefer Norton.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, MartinRS said:

Microsoft have advice for anyone suffering from the pop-up variant of the McAfee scam. It's pretty routine stuff though some might benefit from reading it. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/what-is-the-mcafee-virus-pop-up-scam-how-to-get-rid-of-it/ar-AA14b42z

I think its just phishing where they use McAffe just because its one of the larger software companies, A bit like the phone scams quoting Apple

I had another far more annoying popups for over a month, thankfully its gone away, sadly a sign of the times we live in

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

I think its just phishing where they use McAffe just because its one of the larger software companies, A bit like the phone scams quoting Apple

I had another far more annoying popups for over a month, thankfully its gone away, sadly a sign of the times we live in

Possibly because McAfee used to be shipped with a lot of new PCs and Laptops so it's a good chance people will have kept it or be aware it was installed so more likely to believe a scam email is real.

I can get 4 emails a day over two accounts telling me McAfee has expired and I am infected with a gazillion viruses, thank goodness for Junk folders and filtering.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I've just had it happen at about 4.12pm. I was going from the F1 2024 thread back to Wheeltappers and it came up with the McAffe web page. The back button took me straight back to wheeltsppers.

FWIW the same scan has been hitting the DPreview (photography) forums over the last few days. Someone commented there that the supposed McAfee pop-up actually directed to an operation called securitypatch.life.