Should I buy a new DCC controller?

Mol_PMB

Almost 20 years ago I first got into DCC and bought a Digitrax Zephyr DCS50 controller. I've still got that and it still works. I like the physical nature of the throttle and direction controls, although the function and programming interface seems very crude these days, and it's a lump that needs to stay in one place.

My layout is an O gauge 'Inglenook' style shunting layout, less than 8' long and I'd only ever have one loco moving at once (though there might be more than one loco on the layout). Some of my locos have DCC sound and lighting options, most have some form of stay-alive and I use compensation on many locos to ensure good track contact. I use 3-link couplings and the two points are controlled by switches independent of the DCC control.

So it doesn't really need a complex controller. I can see there might be an advantage in a handheld controller so I can be in the right place when coupling up to something, but the disadvantage would be that one of my hands is full with the controller, and the control interface might not be so intuitive. I can also potentially see an advantage in a better decoder programming interface but I have rather a mix of ESU and Zimo decoders.

Having seen this thread trending on the forum I'm wondering if I'm stuck in the DCC dark ages and perhaps I ought to drag myself into the 21st century!

My gut feeling is to stick with what I've got because it works. Some of my friends have very elaborate automated DCC systems to operate their layouts, which are very impressive but frankly daunting to me and probably unnecessarily complicated for my layout. 

Would there be a genuine benefit in me investing in a newer DCC controller? I don't need top-of-the-range fancy capabilities but is a modern entry-level system actually any better than what I've got already?

Thoughts welcome!

Cheers,

Mol

Digitrax generally means old designs with technology commensurate with the age of the designs, and even their latest offerings are not leading edge, rather more current tending to the legacy in the rest of the range BUT Digitrax is generally bullet proof and it will serve you well for many years if your use doesn't change. The fundamentals of DCC haven't really changed, unlike DC which was never really true DC and it is all the extra gizmos added such as PWM, halfwave, full wave, etc that is causing the DC problems because the modern motors are not always compatible with the older attempts to make DC 'better'. 

So, do you need a new controller or command station? I would say not unless you want (or need) something that isn't provided by your existing setup, such as more functions keys, or more power.

Edited by WIMorrison
spelling corrected!
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks, that's great advice.

I don't think I need more power as I'm only using smallish locos and shunting a few wagons at low speed. I don't use more than a few functions on any locos and potentially I think I could remap any higher numbers that I want to use to lower numbers that the old Digitrax controller can easily access. I might need to borrow a friend's more modern system to do the remapping but that should be straightforward for the ESU chips at least.

Cheers,

Mol  

A newer handset plugged into the LocoNet connection will give you full 28 (29) function access - there are several options for handsets, not just from Digitrax.   Or a smartphone/tablet, with free/cheap software plus computer link will do the same.    A Digitrax PR4 or a LocoBuffer will give computer access.  

Remapping functions is easier in Zimo than ESU, but neither would be simple on the Zephyr's keypad.  But, via a computer interface, and it all "just works";  tools like JMRI take care of all the high-number functions, indexed CV's (ESU), etc..  All work just fine on a Zephyr.    Only downside is the Zephyr's "read" is a little slow if reading in dozens or hundreds of CV's - the answer there is either get someone else to do it, or use the PR4 and its "program" connection instead as that's quicker.  

Only thing you can't do with a DCS50 Zephyr is RailCom(*), which I really can't see the need for with O gauge and a small layout.  

I still regularly use my DCS50, which must be approaching 20 years old now.   Its one of those very solid designs where the internals did allow expansion of features, even if the keypad is limited to functions up to F8.     

(* OK, you can, but it needs some odd hardware, only does "channel-1" and other than for tinkers like me, its not worth going there )

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe
  • Like 1

Many thanks Nigel, that's really helpful.

Being a bit of a luddite I hadn't realised that I could plug a newer handset into the existing base station. That's a great idea!

I've got friends nearby with an ESU lokprogrammer and with JMRI etc., so it's probably easier to do the occasional reprogramming there.

Cheers,

Mol

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been using Uhlenbrock Daisy 2 throttles with a Digitrax command station for 6 or 7 years now.

The Daisy just plugs into a Loconet connection - very easy to use.

I would add a computer interface and use DecoderPro for programming - Digitrax have the PR4 and Uhlenbrock have the 63120 to connect DCS50 to a computer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A Digitrax UT6 would be top of my shopping list in your situation. Wired or wireless depending on preference.

Programming's a lot easier when done via JMRI - a Digitrax PR4 or RR-Circuits LocoBuffer will plug into the Loconet socket on your DCS50; Alternatively there's very little wrong with the Sprog II as a programming device - it's also got the advantage of being able to run locos on the main without having to change track feeds.

Steven B.

• Like 1