Rapido to produce GWR wagons N19, Loco coal, and O18 5-plank open in OO

JShow

13 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Were there still any steam locos left in Llanelli to use its contents? Or was it in commercial service? 

Steam had finished in 1965; this wagon was in revenue earning service. We used to get ex-LMS and GWR ex-Loco Coal on traffic to Carmarthen Bay PS, but mone with such noticeable markings.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

There WERE, of course, BR steam locos elsewhere in Wales 'til 1989  -  though I don't suppose that's relevant !

Well, coal must have been got to them somehow? (Presumably by road now.)

Edited by Compound2632

27 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

... Presumably by road now.

... and it'll be 'orrible polluting 'foreign muck' that's been carted half way round the world at great environmental ( and financial ) cost  -  but we shouldn't get political on RMweb or the thread'll get locked. ( Loctite 243 ? )

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

... and it'll be 'orrible polluting 'foreign muck' that's been carted half way round the world at great environmental ( and financial ) cost  -  but we shouldn't get political on RMweb or the thread'll get locked. ( Loctite 243 ? )

The subtleties of the characteristics of different types of coal and their appropriateness for different applications is alas a lost science. Coal is coal, and coal is bad - though in this particular case, I would imagine that best Welsh steam coal would be less bad than the variety you mention.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, coal must have been got to them somehow? (Presumably by road now.)

Surely in later BR days they were oil-fired? There were oil trains to Mach and Aber so it may have come by rail. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Mol_PMB said:

Well they're back on coal again now, and the railway is a world away from the run-down remnant in BR days. I can highly recommend a visit.

I was in my early teens; I didn't see it that way. There was something special about the fact that the railways was visibly part of the "big railway". It was certainly seemed well-patronised. Remembering it in plain BR blue, to me it looks rather gaudy in recent photos!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

I was in my early teens; I didn't see it that way. There was something special about the fact that the railways was visibly part of the "big railway". It was certainly seemed well-patronised. Remembering it in plain BR blue, to me it looks rather gaudy in recent photos!

Maybe, but the plus points include the new workshop and museum, the restoration of the intermediate stations and loops in traditional style, the superb condition of everything, makes it worth another visit. Except perhaps when the Garratt is running...

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Maybe, but the plus points include the new workshop and museum, the restoration of the intermediate stations and loops in traditional style, the superb condition of everything, makes it worth another visit. Except perhaps when the Garratt is running...

I should go again!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I don’t know whether this 1973 photo from Loose Grip on Flickr will drag this thread back on topic or further off!

Aberystwyth Wales 1st April 1973

Note on the left the GWR wagon in black livery with straw lettering, I’m not sure if this is nominally a coal wagon or ballast wagon. 

And on the right a tank wagon in the Aber fuel depot. I’m pretty sure that fuel train was still running in the early 1980s when the VofR was oil-burning. 

This 1963 image from Ian Nolan shows some other GWR wagons in grey loco coal livery:

VoR Loco Coal wagons, 13 Oct 1963

• Like 4

It was about Rapido GWR loco coal wagon models, then onto the liveries of loco coal wagons in BR days, then about the VofR being BR’s only use of loco coal post-1968 until they converted to oil firing in the late 1970s. 
I’ve dragged it back to the livery of former GWR loco coal wagons but they’re narrow gauge. 
Stand by for Rapido to announce their first foray into OO9? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi,

Looking forward to getting these wagons, do you know if they survived until the early 60’s.

Thanks Fred

There's a photo of an N19 in use in the late 1950s in 'The Acquired Wagons of British Railways' Volume 2.

Some of the similar N30 wagons survived into the mid 1960s; there are more photos of them in the same book.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

There's a photo of an N19 in use in the late 1950s in 'The Acquired Wagons of British Railways' Volume 2.

Some of the similar N30 wagons survived into the mid 1960s; there are more photos of them in the same book.

The one in that book is an interesting one as it's from the earlier batch but has the self-contained buffers and short springs from the late batch.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2