Ultra micro leds

rynd2it

4 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Are they enamelled wires?, if so, you should be able to solder through them.

Mike.

No they seem to be plastic coated

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

In that case, very carefully!

But seriously, I strip decoder thin wires with my teeth, I don't let anything, knife or cutters, with a sharp edge anywhere near the cable.

Mike.

4 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

In that case, very carefully!

But seriously, I strip decoder thin wires with my teeth, I don't let anything, knife or cutters, with a sharp edge anywhere near the cable.

Mike.

These are thinner than decoder wires, only slightly thicker than human hair. I was wondering if there was a chemical that would dissolve the coating

You may find you actually burn off the insulation with your soldering iron, there are “enamelled “ wires made so you can do this. The trade name escapes me at the moment! Alternatively you could use fine abrasive paper by gently pulling the wire through it.

hth

idd

2 minutes ago, idd15 said:

You may find you actually burn off the insulation with your soldering iron, there are “enamelled “ wires made so you can do this. The trade name escapes me at the moment! Alternatively you could use fine abrasive paper by gently pulling the wire through it.

hth

idd

I can't change the wires but the abrasive paper might work, I'll try it

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It's probably Kynar wire; doesn't burn off under a soldering iron and too fine to strip with cutting tools.

You melt it off

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mddc1JX-EWI

Don't get the iron too close to the LED itself or you can cause heat damage

That looks like it might do the job although as the last comment on the video said - it's not Kynar wire. 

2 hours ago, rynd2it said:

As a teenager, when using the very fine armature wire you'll see on loco motors, I used to dip the end of the wire I wanted stripped into methylated spirits, remove and then light the end. A very quick flame would burn off the insulation at the end of the wire quickly and neatly without removing excess insulation and without damaging the wire either.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I have just done some experiments, the soldering iron trick as in the video works well, the abrasive paper also works but needed quite coarse grit - 180 and not as neat 

• Like 2