RMweb

GW Pt Way Brake AA9

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Does anyone know where I might source photos of AA9 brakes, particularly an end phot. I have done a google search, but that didn't throw up anything.

I have the wagon bible, but there's only a side drawing.

TIA.

22 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Does anyone know where I might source photos of AA9 brakes, particularly an end phot. ... I have the wagon bible, but there's only a side drawing.

There's a photo on the next page of the 'bible' which - together with this A6 - would suggest that the ends are little or no different to any other contemporary GWR brake - 

32_14.jpg.05245aa7d2d65f471c533d5579b6bd06.jpg

Barry scrapyard : 30/6/79

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Thanks, I can't find anything on the site with regards to brake vans.

I meant, actually speaking to them, or at least asking them by email.

Several members of the GWSG are on RMWeb; this question might do better if asked in the GWR Rolling Stock sub-forum in the Special Interests section of the forum.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

I don't know whether this is any help. It appears to be of an engineers train. The vehicle after the crane and its match truck could be a brake van and part of the end is visible.

GWR 4-6-0 5848 Toddington Grange Malvern Link undated.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

There's a photo on the next page of the 'bible' which - together with this A6 - would suggest that the ends are little or no different to any other contemporary GWR brake - 

32_14.jpg.05245aa7d2d65f471c533d5579b6bd06.jpg

Barry scrapyard : 30/6/79

A great photo, thanks.  The devil is in the detail, the position of the windows relative to the planking and also that of the hatch. The planking on the AA9 is slightly different to that of the AA6.

I'm also looking at doing the AA6, so that photo is really useful.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I meant, actually speaking to them, or at least asking them by email.

Several members of the GWSG are on RMWeb; this question might do better if asked in the GWR Rolling Stock sub-forum in the Special Interests section of the forum.

Thanks, sorry I got the wrong end of the stick. I will ask the mods, to see if they can shift it to that sub-forum.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks John, just what I needed. It has saved me from making an enormous faux par, the drawing in the bible shows 12 planks for the sides and the photo shows only 10. Which makes a difference to how the end looks.

I am interested in Departmental use of ex GWR Toad brakevans.  Regarding some earlier posts which discussed  DW40357; I have looked at the picture of this vehicle as taken in Woodhams yard awaiting scrapping, and I have also looked at a couple of pictures held by the HMRS of the 'same' vehicle in much earlier times at Plymouth.

The HMRS picture shows the vehicle as  fitted with an end gauge for checking clearances under bridges and in tunnels.

Can anyone point me to information which tells of its conversion to a gauging vehicle and then from a gauging vehicle to an inspection vehicle as it appears to have ended its life?

Edited by Departmental