Gauge narrowing?

On a 009 layout I inherited the sharp curves appear to be set track, everywhere else is Peco flex. The track is fully ballasted so changing it would be a pain. 

However, there is one place where all locos just stop. After thoroughly cleaning the track and the loco wheels to no avail, I started examining the area more closely and finally discovered that the gauge appears to be narrowing - I can't get track gauge to fit in that area.

I really would prefer not to lift the track and I was wondering if gentle heating and manipulating with the track gauge would work to widen the gauge.

Comments and suggestions please especially if you have experienced this before.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

If the stress on the rails is making the gauge narrow, wouldn't relaxing the rail fixings just allow the gauge to narrow further?

It might but is it worth trying?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rynd2it said:

It might but is it worth trying?

If the gauge has narrowed that indicates to me that the rail fixings are already being squeezed and are under stress to such an extent that they aren't keeping the track to gauge.  The answers might be as follows -

1. Relay the track with fixed radius curves which are designed and manufactured to stay to gauge/plus propv9de a bit of gauge widening (undoubtedly the best remedy even if it will be a pain), or

2.   Try to remove some sleepers and replace with copper clad sleepers to which you can solder the rail using a three point track gauge give automatic gauge widening.  Thus if you can gut away existing ballast and sleepersa n bit at a time you might improve.

The proble with heating is exactly what are you going to heat and will that melt the fixings holding the rail or will the rail itself get hot and gp way out of alignment?

I've decided to bite the bullet and replace the two pieces, this is booked for an exhibition in May so I need to get a move on.

Thanks for the input

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

If you are going to damage the track anyway as a last resort before doing that could you wet and dry the inside edge of the rail to open it back out through the tight spot? How much is it tight by?

9 minutes ago, SR71 said:

If you are going to damage the track anyway as a last resort before doing that could you wet and dry the inside edge of the rail to open it back out through the tight spot? How much is it tight by?

The track gauge won't fit

39 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

The track gauge won't fit

But does it just about fit, or is there not a hope in hell of it fitting, even with 0.5mm removed from the inside edge of the rails? 🙂

2 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

But does it just about fit, or is there not a hope in hell of it fitting, even with 0.5mm removed from the inside edge of the rails? 🙂

I can just about force it in over a length of about 7", anyway I've bought the replacement track

I model in P4 18.83 mm gauge and some older makes of plastic-based track would become under-gauge, especially on curves.  I cut the outer sides of some of the chairs, allowing the rail to move outwards very slightly, and then I was able, just, to insert a track gauge.  The application of a soldering iron for a few seconds allowed the gauge to set to the correct value, and a few drops of superglue secured everything,

Definitely works for me.

John

3 hours ago, proton said:

I model in P4 18.83 mm gauge and some older makes of plastic-based track would become under-gauge, especially on curves.  I cut the outer sides of some of the chairs, allowing the rail to move outwards very slightly, and then I was able, just, to insert a track gauge.  The application of a soldering iron for a few seconds allowed the gauge to set to the correct value, and a few drops of superglue secured everything,

Definitely works for me.

John

Thanks for that, interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's not clear if the narrowing is flexi track or set track.   Both tend to suffer narrowing if the curve radius is reduced, most people don't bend set track but I do. but both get narrower, not much but its exactly what you don't want as gauge widening is fairly common as a way to get trains, full size ones around sharp curves.  The narrowing is worse if the ties between sleepers are left as standard, with 3 sleepers tied then a  gap, staggered  so the gaps alternate between inner and outer rails .   I ensure only pairs of sleepers are left connected when fairly sharp curves are involved and I cut all the ties when they get really sharp, and I have gone down to 12" radius in OO streamline on my latest layout.  That makes keeping sleepers absolutely at right angles to the rails essential.      Any kink will also lead to tight spots .  I suppose one could sever the sleepers ease them apart 1mm or so and glue it all back in place but relaying seems the easy option.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

On a previous layout which was to EM gauge, I used gauge narrowing to my advantage. 

I was using the Ratio track and for the sharpest curve, I used some of their 18.83 track base, which I had accidentally purchased!

The final track gauge when laid was about 18.4mm and worked perfectly!

2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

On a previous layout which was to EM gauge, I used gauge narrowing to my advantage. 

I was using the Ratio track and for the sharpest curve, I used some of their 18.83 track base, which I had accidentally purchased!

The final track gauge when laid was about 18.4mm and worked perfectly!

That's gauge widening