Setting ESU LokSound Decoders to Match Function Key Operations with the LokProgrammer

SRman

I hope to assist anyone else who thinks like me and wants diesel and electric sound projects (or even non-sound decoder settings) to match each other's function key presses. There are a few reasons for doing this, with some being purely personal preferences, but others making sense when operating locomotives in multiple (i.e. a DCC consist).

Firstly, I have decided that I prefer the manual braking to be on F2 as this is always a momentary contact key on the NCE systems, and some other brands as well. That means shuffling the next few functions up one F key if the sound project designer has it on F5 (which seems to be the other default choice).

Next, I want Drive Hold / Drive Lock (whatever!) t be standardised on F8. I have a couple of projects installed where it is currently on F7, or other keys. Also, F11 for the flange squeal.

Lighting allocations depend on what's available on certain models, but purely to assist me to remember some of them without recourse to the function lists every time I want one of the less used ones, I have standardised on F17 being engine room lights, F20 tail lights on (some projects have F20 to turn them off, as they are on by default with F0), F21 cab lights, F22 night setting (for WiPAC style lighting), and F19 for depot lights (tail lights at both ends). There may also be shunting lights with all marker lights on, and separate high-intensity headlights - I haven't decided which function shunting lights should be on (maybe F16), but separate headlights are to be F18.

I will post screen captures of the settings on the LokProgrammer for the various loco classes as I work through some of them, but I would like others who are also inspired to do the same to post their settings - they don't have to agree with mine.

I worked with computers in the past (retired now) so am an inveterate tinkerer and like the challenge of doing these personalisations. I would strongly advise anyone attempting such changes to read and save the original settings first, then when tinkering, save under a different name - I add the text "- JL mod" to the end of the file name after the original naming, and if I make even more major amendments after that, I use additional "v2", "v3", and so on. That allows me to restore to a previous working version if it all goes pear-shaped.

My posts at present are aimed solely at ESU using the LokProgrammer, but much of this work is also possible using JMRI Decoder Pro software, which also allows modification to other brands of decoder. I find Zimo sound decoders a little obscure though, so don't tend to make as many drastic changes to the order on those. It still becomes necessary when running locomotives with the different brands in together. A case in point is an excursion train on my London Underground lines, topped and tailed by a Heljan Metropolitan Bo-Bo electric with ESU LokSound fitted and a Bachmann LT class 20 with a Zimo sound decoder on board. they took a lot of careful speed matching, but that's another story.

I intend to do separate posts for each type of loco or unit and there may be long spells where my time is spent elsewhere on other tasks.

Edited by SRman
Additional item
  • Thanks 1

After that long preamble, the first locomotives I got to grips with were the Accurascale class 37s, of which I have six. Four are refurbished types of class 37/4 and 37/6, and have the WiPAC light clusters plus top headlights, so have the full gamut of lighting possible.

Now let me say at the start that what Accurascale have done is perfectly good, but my personal preferences go, as stated in the preamble, include having the tail lights off by default. I also have sound projects on them from Accurascale, Jamie Goodman (who also did the Accurascale one), and legomanbiffo. The ones I installed myself have LokSound v5 DCC decoders, whereas the Accurascale factory-fitted ones have the slightly fuller LokSound v5 version, which allows more protocols but makes no difference whatsoever to the actual programming here.

Some sounds get shunted around the allocations too, to make room for the lighting and braking preferences.

So, here are the settings for the legomanbiffo 37/4 and 37/6 locos (although looking at this, I haven't done the F22 remapping for night running on this one yet):

legomanbiffo37602FunctionRemappingp1.png.5913164c7b30cbdd93c34b62248988c7.png

legomanbiffo37602FunctionRemappingp2.png.fadc410275e8a7f970eff553bccd57f0.png

18 minutes ago, SRman said:

My posts at present are aimed solely at ESU using the LokProgrammer, but much of this work is also possible using JMRI Decoder Pro software, which also allows modification to other brands of decoder. I find Zimo sound decoders a little obscure though, so don't tend to make as many drastic changes to the order on those. ..........

You probably need "Zimo input mapping".    That allows you to swap anything to anything.   eg. Swap "project writer's F5" to "throttle F2" and also swap "project writer's F2" to "throttle F17",  etc..   

As you indicate,  for the ESU decoders,  DecoderPro will do exactly the same changes, with everything laid out in a very similar table to that for the LokProgrammer.  

• Agree 1

The Accurascale sound ones are as follows:

37/4 and 37/6 (this one was 37 423) Edit - there are some logic errors in this version of my file - I have posted a better one further down - Jeff (SRman):

ESULokProgrammerAccurascaleClass37423Settingsp1.png.ee50416736da4331278e97d71b54b5dc.png

ESULokProgrammerAccurascaleClass37423Settingsp2.png.401969c9a3e1c1539505f5b530cddfce.png

Note that sound slot allocations and the actual sounds in those slots can vary between different sound providers. I haven't really begun to bring those into line, except for the playable horns on F3 and F4.

Next, the Accurascale 37/0, in this case, D6704, which does not have anywhere near the number of lighting functions available compared to the refurbished types):

ESULokProgrammerAccurascaleClass37D6704Settingsp1.PNG.a93d7b183fc4ab6707c128e9e6d0ce4d.PNG

ESULokProgrammerAccurascaleClass37D6704Settingsp2.png.3c9c45c579ed8834ff2a10dead6d13d4.png

I did post the 37/0 list in the Accurascale class 37 topic as well, which seemed to cause a few problems for some people. Having started this thread specifically for this type of operation, I hope no one can object here.

Edited by SRman
Updated 37 423 screen shots and note added
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

You probably need "Zimo input mapping".    That allows you to swap anything to anything.   eg. Swap "project writer's F5" to "throttle F2" and also swap "project writer's F2" to "throttle F17",  etc..   

As you indicate,  for the ESU decoders,  DecoderPro will do exactly the same changes, with everything laid out in a very similar table to that for the LokProgrammer.  

Thanks. I did do that on the Bachmann LT class 20 to help match it to Sarah Siddons, but I did it manually with the necessary CV changes. I di use Decoder Pro for most brands other than ESU, but the LokProgrammer is really much, much quicker with the ESU decoders. In my case, the NCE Power Pro is connected to the computer through a serial port, whereas the LokProgrammer uses a faster serial to USB connection.

Next, the legomanbiffo summary for 37 026 - after the screen shots I added F18 forwards works AUX11, and F18 reverse works AUX12, which are the car-style headlights fitted to 37 026. That means I took sound slot 8 off that function. F2 also had "Brake 1" added to its Logical functions.

legomanbiffo37026FunctionRemappingp1.png.6471e83aa0f7bb11747d22f856ff9153.png

legomanbiffo37026FunctionRemappingp2.png.5e4dbe1aa48a6c49a72947c05a4999f5.png

One other thing I haven't mentioned is that I have turned down the brightness of some of the lights. On 37/0 locos I turned the cab light brightness down, and on all of the AS 37s I turned the engine room lights down.

For the tail lights on F20, basically it involved swapping any references to "F20" to "not F20", and any "not F20" references to "F20" all the way down the sheet, working methodically so as not to get confused. For those who are happy with the default of tail lights being on when the lights are turned on, leave that set of changes alone.

Edited by SRman

Last but one for the 37 variations is 37 609 with Jamie Goodman sound bought from Roads and Rails. For all of the 37/4 aand 37/6 locos I have with the top headlight, I was assured by a DRS driver in the AS 37 topic that the headlight comes on with the WiPAC headlights, as they have a rotary switch for markers, day running, night running, and off, so I have set the top lights accordingly with F0 and F22.

AccurascaleClass37FunctionRemapping37609-p1.png.b733a84efceecd829f2cd00037915dff.png

AccurascaleClass37FunctionRemapping37609-p2.png.c6fa4f4017a5050caf177c360987507c.png

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

And on to the Accurascale class 92. In this case, I have three with Accurascale sound and one non-sound one, so that simplified things for me. Having set one to my satisfaction, I was able to load the same file with amended address to each of the others.

I did reverse the operation of F8 for AC or DC configuration, seeing as my layout is, or will be, Southern Region third rail territory. This means that pressing F8 will raise a pantograph, rather than lowering it after the original default for starting sound on F1 automatically raising a panto. Likewise, I have reversed the tail light operation as per the 37s, so F20 now turns them on when needed. Most of my trains remain in storage loops with locos attached, so tail lights are not usually needed.

Also, for straight electric locos, I cannot see a use for Drive Hold, so that has been left off, but it could also be kept relegated to a function above F28 the NCE system cannot reach (although the LokProgrammer could operate it).

This was 92 009, but the same settings were applied to 92 020 and 92 032.

AccurascaleSoundClass92FunctionRemapping-p1.png.e10ecb35d5a51d2ffd39bdf6332a9dd1.png

AccurascaleSoundClass92FunctionRemapping-p2.png.4bfa74288cce3b0f02df85519ca5878a.png

For the non-sound loco, 92 043, I had a locally purchased LokPilot v5 DCC decoder, and Accurascale's Patrick very kindly forwarded a file with the settings they use on their LokPilot decoders, which included the settings to operate the pantographs and kept the lighting functions the same as on their sound decoders. As such, I had to do the same swaps for F8 and F20.

AccurascaleNon-soundClass92FunctionRemapping92043.png.59bbb9225b6cdf2c0ab5036e82af4d67.png

That's my lot for today. I have not completely brought them into line yet. the screen shot for 37 423 shows that the engine room lights on AUX14 were still allocated to F17. I will be swapping that to F18.

While some of these are still works in progress, one thing I like with being able to use the LokProgrammer or Decoder Pro software is that one can work on the files away from the layout, sussing out the logical sequences for the lighting functions and shifting the functions around without having to have the locomotive attached or stand near the layout to do it. It doesn't allow one to work out what sound slot is what sound though, so that needs the original function list to help work that out away from the layout.

There will be others to come, bit feel free to post your own versions. Mine are by no means definitive or the only way to do things. 😁

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting, I'll spend some time comparing with my settings to see if you've uncovered any little nuggets.

I thought I'd mention that you do have the ability to move and delete lines of info, seeing as you don't have them naturally running from F0 to F31.  I have to keep mine in sequence!

The magic buttons to move things around is carefully tucked away in the top left of the screen.  Highlight the row and use the up/down or delete buttons :

image.png.f76a48da71fb880fdda1c070ac4de821.png

Of course there's no need to move anything, as it won't make any physical difference with the decoder functionality.  It does make things easier to find though.

Steve

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 55020 said:

Thanks for posting, I'll spend some time comparing with my settings to see if you've uncovered any little nuggets.

I thought I'd mention that you do have the ability to move and delete lines of info, seeing as you don't have them naturally running from F0 to F31.  I have to keep mine in sequence!

The magic buttons to move things around is carefully tucked away in the top left of the screen.  Highlight the row and use the up/down or delete buttons :

image.png.f76a48da71fb880fdda1c070ac4de821.png

Of course there's no need to move anything, as it won't make any physical difference with the decoder functionality.  It does make things easier to find though.

Steve

Thanks for that tip. 😎 

I will be doing that when I next do an editing session. You are right that it doesn't affect the operation at all, but by gum it does make it easier to find the correct lines. 👍

• Like 1

I found some logic errors and omissions in my earlier 37 423 settings so I went back to the drawing board and deleted the head and tail light combinations and started again. This lot works as intended.

I am also including the amended Function List as it stands now. I need to add the light switch sound back in, once I work out which Sound Slot that is in (I know, it's in the AS list somewhere). The Uncoupling Cycle on F26 doesn't seem to work so I'll swap an unused Sound Slot into that, later.

I'm happier with the way this is set out, with my more usually used functions lower down the F numbers (i.e. higher up the list). A couple of the sounds listed may be incorrect, but I will get around to sorting those properly now I have the lights right.

ESULokProgrammerAccurascaleClass37423Settingsv3p1.png.14f5b7eb566074ecd1af14ac18836847.png

ESULokProgrammerAccurascaleClass37423Settingsv3p2.png.4c37b5569f5ab8030a18a31f249e72db.png

Class 37 Sound Function List - Modified.docx

I have a Dapol's class 59/2 fitted with legomanbiffo sound, and again I have no quibbles with the quality of the sounds or the original layout of functions, I wanted to bring this into line with the Accurascale locomotives as much as possible for the lighting, as it is much easier on my memory. This is v2 of what I have done, but there are still a few things to reallocate, particularly with sound locations. 

The operation of the lights is a bit odd on this model; it took me a while to work out that AUX1(1) is actually acting like a relay to switch the selection to the opposite end of the locomotive, so as an example, F0 for headlights with marker lights and no tail lights has Front light(1) plus AUX1(1), because, for some reason, the forward direction has the reverse switch. Head and marker lights for reverse is simply Front light(1). What this means for depot parking mode with red tail lights at both ends cannot be done with the existing setup. I had tried to do this on F19, but failed, although the entry is still in the list.

F16 has to move up to a higher function at some point for my standardisation, being a shunting mode with just marker lights leading and tail lights on at the other end, which works nicely. F22 for Night running lights works well too, with F20 for directional tail lights also working properly with both day and night running lights. The cab lights on F21 also work properly, when stopped only, and directionally.

LegomanbiffoDapolClass59-2LokProgrammerFunctionRemapping-p1.png.49b2cf27f897a02e8dc13c8ac251cf59.png

LegomanbiffoDapolClass59-2LokProgrammerFunctionRemapping-p2.png.ad5a914a088f733ff767a45fd7fe6803.png

The available AUX outputs are shown here, with all others greyed out and unavailable.

DapolClass59-2AUXOutputsAvailable.png.6a205f773f10bfe4314908011686b471.png

The end result so far is:

F0 forwards:

DapolClass59F0Forwards.jpg.15a71330bb9b086b5e57374f22d81ef3.jpg

F0 reverse plus F20:

DapolClass59F0Reverse.jpg.9ea7cca44f6fc892c75af9d48112cb64.jpg

F0 plus F22 forwards:

DapolClass59F22Forwards.jpg.8ca0e3072395af4d6f22b9ab56c9a36b.jpg

F16 forwards:

DapolClass59F16Forwards.jpg.56def60efab9f18dd3508892ba518c71.jpg

F16 reverse:

DapolClass59F16Reverse.jpg.b6affa9aae1a0baef7cbf81dafdd8f9a.jpg

F16 reverse photo taken at other end:

DapolClass59F16ReverseOtehrEnd.jpg.848ece7c9f3778d1349381bec9cfc977.jpg

What these photos, taken in dim lighting conditions also show is that there is quite a lot of light bleed between the lights in the clusters. The camera has picked that up and enhanced it a bit; it isn't quite as obvious to the naked eye, but is still something to be addressed if possible.

Finally, the modified function list as it stands now. I will be doing a few further amendments, but this shows my thinking and the results of my tinkering.

Dapol Class 59 Function Key List for legomanbiffo Sound - JL mod.docx

Dapol Class 59 F21 Forwards.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the latest bit of tweaking I did. This one is actually a much older project on a v3.5 decoder with legomanbiffo sound, fitted into a Hornby class 56 with modified lighting. The lights have been separated out to a degree, with marker and headlight at each end activated together, and tail lights separated out. There is the facility to separate the headlights as well, but with a v3.5 there are only six function outputs available for the lights, and I have plans to fit cab lights later.

Another fly in the ointment is that there are only 15 functions available overall. That means I cannot use F20 for the tail lights, so I opted for F10 for those, and F11 for depot mode, with red tail lights lit at both ends. F0 works the marker and headlights directionally, F10 is also set directional for the tail lights.

Adding another spanner into the works is that the whole locomotive seems to be wired back to front (radiator end is trailing by default), which meant it took me quite a while to work out which output worked which lights in which direction! I had added 1 to CV29 to reverse the direction but I got a headache trying to reverse the thinking while programming the lights, because the decoder settings still thought that reverse was forwards (if you get my drift).

Anyhow, here are the settings I ended up with in the LokProgrammer.

Class56v3.5ModifiedLokProgrammerSettings-p1.png.909966fbc039ba4e23d375fa95ce3056.png

Class56v3.5ModifiedLokProgrammerSettings-p2.png.40421c3167963c400464e79451b7657d.png

You'll have to take my word on what is working at the other end of the locomotive as I can only show one end at a time! 😁

F0: head and marker lights at whichever end is leading (directional) - no tail lights unless F10 is pressed:

20240226_125206.jpg.19d59fc31db5a186f31394413f5542c6.jpg

20240226_125237.jpg.904f38a256fe59f7154a412c9c4a0f86.jpg

With F10, red tail lights are on at whichever end is trailing (directional):

20240226_125125.jpg.bb9f3adcf6599f9f1eddc692db2dee3d.jpg

20240226_125138.jpg.95124b28290a85b9998345c987a2b25c.jpg

Selecting F11 results in both of the last two photos simultaneously.

The v3.5 LokSound doesn't seem to allow for the conditional programming that the later versions allow, so I can't say turn off headlights when F11 is selected, for example.

If I add cab lighting later, I can use F9 or F13 which are currently unused, and make that directional as well.

Also while programming everything I dimmed all of the existing lights, so the head/marker lights are set on a value of 5, while the tail lights are now 0 (zero), the dimmest they can go.

Edit: here's the Function List that I ended up with. Class 56 v3-5 Function Key List - JL mod.pdf

I forgot to mention that this particular project was a v4 one Bif modified to fit onto the v3.5, which meant leaving out a couple of things from the original, including flange squeal and a guard's whistle, which was only intended for rail tour use anyway, seeing as 56s are usually heavy freight locomotives.

Edited by SRman
Additional info and attachment