Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LNWR Push-Pull Trains

I have tried looking up information on LNWR push-pull trains, but strangely, looking on goggle doesn’t give any results. Thus, I need to ask: what locomotives were push-pull fitted prior to the grouping? Any other information on LNWR push-pull coaches and services would be nice as well

The Angelsey line from Holland Arms to Red Wharf/Benllech was worked on a push pull basis. There is a picture of a train at Pentraeth which can be found on the internet and the engine appears to be a Webb 4ft 6ins tank (2-4-0). I have not been able to find any more details, there is also a picture of what could be the same train in LNWR Miscellany Vol 2, said to be taken at the terminus near Benllech but again nothing is too clear. 

6 hours ago, Thomas and Duck Fan said:

I have tried looking up information on LNWR push-pull trains, but strangely, looking on goggle doesn’t give any results. Thus, I need to ask: what locomotives were push-pull fitted prior to the grouping? Any other information on LNWR push-pull coaches and services would be nice as well

The 2-4-2Ts. Examples of both the 4'6" and 5'6" types got the gear.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/42285-auto-train-equipment-on-lnwr-2-4-2t/

Also some of the Coal Tanks* and I think the Watford Tank 0-6-2Ts.

*Ignore the name as it doesn't mean they were built for pulling coal trains, just they were a tank version of the 0-6-0 coal engines"

Jason

• RMweb Premium
On 04/02/2024 at 12:52, Steamport Southport said:

The 2-4-2Ts. Examples of both the 4'6" and 5'6" types got the gear.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/42285-auto-train-equipment-on-lnwr-2-4-2t/

Also some of the Coal Tanks* and I think the Watford Tank 0-6-2Ts.

@Thomas and Duck Fan, beware. The topic linked to above refers to the fitting of the Midland / LMS system of vacuum-controlled regulator (VCR) to ex-LNWR locomotives in LMS and BR days. This was different to the mechanical system used by the LNWR itself (of which I've never read a good description). The LNWR built a good number of push-pull driving trailers using its system that were converted to the VCR system in LMS days.

If you're getting seriously interested in the LNWR, I strongly suggest giving up Google in favour of buying some good books - many of which though out of print can be obtained second-hand at reasonable prices. Ted Talbot's Illustrated History of LNWR Engines and David Jenkinson's LNWR Carriages are good for those topics, while for operation, seek out Talbot's The LNWR Recalled and Hendry & Hendry, The North Western at Work.

I also commend the L&NWR Society: https://lnwrs.org.uk/.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 2