DCC Setup Advice for OO and N Gauge Layouts

MoonM

Hi All - I am perhaps in the lucky position of starting afresh (well I do have an old Digikeijis DR5000 and 4088 but I understand they went out of business) in DCC in both N and OO Gauge in the same room.  If you were to start afresh and setup will reliable and trusted components, how would you approach this?  

-          Recommended control system?  It will need to be easily compatible with iTrain for train automation.  Ideally, I’d like to be able to run my OO gauge and N gauge layout on the same controller, bus wire and iTrain system (not needing to buy the same thing twice).  I have no idea whether this will be possible! 

-          Recommended surface mounted point motors for the fiddle yards and under board point motors for the scenic section.  Emphasis to be placed upon reliability and cost (inc. relevant additional DCC modules).  Again, need to be able to work with iTrain and automation. 

-          Track will all be peco.  OO gauge will be code 75 bullhead for scenic sections and code 100 for the fiddle yard.  N gauge will be code 55 for the scenic sections and code 80 for the fiddle yard. 

-          All stock will be RTR and relatively modern items.  Advice on DCC decoders will be welcome too as most my stock is DCC-ready only and I have not yet taken a decision on a consistent brand of decoders.  I don’t run sound on locos (not my cup of tea).  What is important to me regarding DCC running is reliability, slow speed performance and consistent stopping/braking (especially for getting trains to stop in the right place in blocks when automated). 

Thanks in advance for any advice that is available!  

Hi, 

Re surface mounted point motors I would avoid the micro linear servo type as they tend to have not enough power to reliably operate points.

Regarding DCC decoders for locos I try and use Zimo decoders when they are available. Of course selecting a decoder that is small enough and powerful enough is a higher priority than manufacturer.

I don't have much experience about consistent stopping and braking especially if you intend using ABC control with distance control.

Regards

Nik

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MoonM said:

-          Recommended control system?  It will need to be easily compatible with iTrain for train automation.  Ideally, I’d like to be able to run my OO gauge and N gauge layout on the same controller, bus wire and iTrain system (not needing to buy the same thing twice).  I have no idea whether this will be possible! 

My advice would be that almost anything that has a USB or network connection will interface with iTrain but avoid some makes such as Hornby, Bachmann, NCE, Gaugemaster, and MERG controllers or anything that has the command station and throttle combined into a single handheld item as they are not suitable.

In a controller you should look for multiple interfaces such as Loconet or Xpressnet to enable connection of commercially available items, with LocoNet as a preferred option and being useful for feedback controllers, among other items. Check that the system being considered supports boosters as you may want to put the 00 scale track on one booster and the N scale track on another booster.

iTrain will be able to operate both layouts simultaneously - as long as you choose the correct controller.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fruit of my experience is that standardising on a decoder brand is helpful, only one manual to absorb.

As it is I use two, Lenz and Zimo, and operate using a Lenz system, now coming up to 20 years since purchase. Straightforward decoder programming on both brands, bombproof reliability in operation, stable speed control and stopping distances.

The caveat, this is solely OO experience, largely using current RTR mechanisms as supplied* with some kit builds with Mashima or similar motors: no traction tyres allowed, and all metal wheels on stock, I don't use sound, and stay-alive is not required on my all live crossing points system, mostly Peco, some SMP and Marcway kits.

*Swapped out the bronze wheelsets on an early Heljan product for their nickel silver replacements, various simple rearrangments to improve pick up integrity and gear meshing on RTR  product introduced prior to 2013.

• Thanks 1