starting again in a new scale - advice on disposal

11 hours ago, Simon G said:

I have sold quite a few items via Facebook selling sites, without any problems or hassle.  The main advantage over ebay is that you dont pay 10% or whatever in charges.  I have used two sites, Model Railway Trading Group being the most suitable for your means.

In my opinion, most dealers will only offer rip-off values!

What would you consider to be a fair margin?

Bearing in mind they are doing it as a full time job?

With all the overheads and legal requirements that are involved in doing that.

Bernard

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

You could sell the most valuable pieces i.e. the locomotives on Ebay and then just sell the rest to a trader.

If you can get a trader to show the slightest interest, if all the good stuff has already been sold. They usually want good and bad stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Bernard

I fully accept that they need a fair margin as they are doing it as a business. My earlier comment was based on a couple of instances where dealers offered approximately 10% of the RRP, not the much more reasonable one-third as suggested elsewhere in this thread.  The purpose of my post was to let the OP know that there is another way of disposing of items other than by dealers or auction sites etc.

3 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Bernard

Anyone with a bit of savey does not pay eBay 10% but 2%, but even at 10% its far cheaper than traditional auction houses at 40% and you get retail not trade prices

1 hour ago, Simon G said:

Iwhere dealers offered approximately 10% of the RRP, not the much more reasonable one-third as suggested elsewhere in this thread. 

I stated prior to VAT, we gave a third of rrp. VAT changed the percentages where in the end we gave up selling s/h items

Granted the easy route is to sell it all off to a dealer

Another route is to sell the decent higher value items individually, sell the rest as a single or double job lot(s). This would reduce the effort but maximize returns with less effort . 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Simon G said:

My earlier comment was based on a couple of instances where dealers offered approximately 10% of the RRP, not the much more reasonable one-third as suggested elsewhere in this thread. 

I think your mistake there is assuming that a dealer is going to be able to sell any given secondhand item for its new RRP. A dealer who is reputable and knows what they're doing should reasonably offer a seller a third of what the dealer thinks they can sell that item for.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1