Need help identifying this

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Whereas a colleague of mine once killed a computer that had been shipped from America by plugging it straight into the mains without flipping the power supply switch on the back.

A friend of mine son, did the opposite. He was fiddling with his PC as one does and found a switch on the back. Not knowing what is was for, he changed it. The resulting bang made him investigate further and discovered that it had been marked 240/110 Volts! So yes, he completely blew up the power supply and motherboard, as it didn't take too kindly to having 240V into the now 110V setting!

A little more information regarding PIKO.

During the "Iron Curtain" days PIKO was a sort of cooperative, different factories producing models of varying quality. They were marketed as "PIKO" & IIRC some was branded "Schicht" (spelling).

After re-unification PIKO became one company (probably with EU grants for re-tooling) and gradually upped the quality until it was up to the standards (& sadly) prices of today.

Many diesel/OHE locomotive drivers are modelled on Dr René F. Wilfer MD of Piko.

• Informative/Useful 1

Well it turns out my colleague clearly knows more than I thought 😂 he knew they were likely PIKO as soon as I showed him the picture of the set and said he’s happy to service them and get them working! He sent me a screenshot from eBay of the electric loco and it’s not far off what mum and dad reckon they paid for the whole set! 

That said I shall be keeping it as it’s got more sentimental value than anything.