End of the line for (two-thirds of) the last Class 503

billy_anorak59

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

They could have had buffers and drop hook couplings fitted but it removes them from historical context.

but its too late now anyway, the cabs already cut off and in wales.

I wonder though if things like doors, glazing etc will be saved off the vehicles for scrap, replacing these isnt cheap.

To the groups credit at least they gave more heads up than when Bury scrapped its 504 back in 1992.. it was just stripped, then afterwards they offered what was left to other groups in the next issue of Rail.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, jbhtrams said:

now it is presently closed and no sign of it opening in yhd near future!

No idea what is happening at the Wirral Transport museum - last I heard was it had been taken over by something called 'Big Heritage' - whatever that is. Looks a great place for relatively modern single and double decker buses that have tenuous links to Wirral, but if you want all inclusive transport (which includes (gasp) railway! artifacts), you're going to be well disappointed. This was the last I saw:

https://bigheritage.co.uk/an-exciting-future-for-wirral-transport-museum/

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

but its too late now anyway, the cabs already cut off and in wales.

Yes, all too late - as you say, the DTS cab is cut and in Wales, and the TS was cut 2 weeks ago I believe. Shame really, as the TS DID have buffers, and could have been hauled stock, although I'm not sure how any heritage line would have blown the doors open at each stop, unless the haulage had a compressor. It's buffer arrangement is seen here:

P1050470.JPG.23424f3b4a3a9409b0669d373c086feb.JPG

All that can be hoped for is that now the DTS and TS have gone, efforts can now be concentrated on 690 and it can find a long lasting home and under cover. Preferably in its home environment.

• Like 1