Hornby Castle class steam locomotive

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Strange question. I have got a castle class steam locomotive as a non runner in a group of locos. I believe it is R2498 but did Hornby make and earlier model, as there doesnt seem to be any space in the loco for a motor. Does anyone know if there was a earlier one and the code to find the service sheet at all?

That looks like an Airfix manufactured one.

Superceded by Dapol Pancake motored version then purchased by Hornby who used the same mech.

The final iteration of the "original" castle body mouldings then got a can motor.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

That looks like an Airfix manufactured one.

Superceded by Dapol Pancake motored version then purchased by Hornby who used the same mech.

The final iteration of the "original" castle body mouldings then got a can motor.

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

At the risk of stating the obvious, the motor was in the tender…

Had just had a quick look but tender feels very light, so thinking motor might be missing. But knowing it is an airfix one gives me a starting point.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Something's missing them, as the tender should definitely have a bit of heft to it.  The pancake motors and plastic spur gears were not especially heavy in themselves, though, and it may be that the ballast weight is missing.  Probably obtainable from Peter's Spares; Airfix, Dapol, or early Hornby will fit.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Something's missing them, as the tender should definitely have a bit of heft to it.  The pancake motors and plastic spur gears were not especially heavy in themselves, though, and it may be that the ballast weight is missing.  Probably obtainable from Peter's Spares; Airfix, Dapol, or early Hornby will fit.

Well was no motor in it when i opened it up, just some metal. It is a Hornby tender, so wondering if the loco is a Hornby one. Or if they are from different models?

Edited by barney121e

I know this may seem a bit simple. But is the tender exactly the same colour as the engine. In both shade and tone. Could it have had a Hall tender put with it. Meaning that it was either used as a static model or used as a second engine for double heading. Or perhaps the original tender body on a Hall tender chassis?. There is no mistaking the chassis of a tender driven Castle. It is full of big holes where the wheels sit.

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, cypherman said:

I know this may seem a bit simple. But is the tender exactly the same colour as the engine. In both shade and tone. Could it have had a Hall tender put with it. Meaning that it was either used as a static model or used as a second engine for double heading. Or perhaps the original tender body on a Hall tender chassis?. There is no mistaking the chassis of a tender driven Castle. It is full of big holes where the wheels sit.

Colours look the same but hard to tell. I think what I have is a tender which is on service sheet 213 and 306 but the loco is different. Guessing I have the a tender driven loco and an engine driven tender

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, barney121e said:

Colours look the same but hard to tell. I think what I have is a tender which is on service sheet 213 and 306 but the loco is different. Guessing I have the a tender driven loco and an engine driven tender

Unpowered tender, non powered tender maybe,  an engine powered tender sounds like  one with a motor.    That is an Airfix Chassis.   No motor, long weight, two pick up strips, push in crank pins.
The connecting wires to the tender have broken off, they have spades which plug in to slots in the tender.    The chassis is rubbish as the contacts drag and make the wheels stop while the loco is running. I cured mine, took the pick ups of, shorted the tyres to axle one side and fitted brass axle bushes  connected to a wire providing one side pick up.  Using a Hornby County 4-4-0 tender which also has one side pick up it runs beautifully, shame the tender does not.
The Body is, probably Airfix, might be Dapol but the chimney looks like a replacement as it looks central on the smoke box whereas the rear hole should be central.  my Airfix body has a similar chimney in the same wrong place fitted by myself 45 years ago.  I think the cab steps are missing; 

Airfix were non powered with stepped side tenders, Dapol loco drive with spur gear drive pancake motors Flat side tenders, Early Hornby like Dapol, then re engineered with a Worm drive can motor.   Decent model came out around 2012 with metal valve gear.
To complete the saga  Hornby Dublo Castle came out around 1957, very good model, Die cast body, X04 like  motor. In circa 1961  they ruined it with a cab full of Ring Field  motor, it became GR Wrenn, circa 1967 discontinued 1990s(?)  Last ones the chassis moulds were worm out, poor quality.  Best ones 1957 Hornby (But need bogie wheels upgrading) and 2012 on Hornby.
Tenders, Only the Airfix tenders couple to the Airfix chassis, Mine had an Airfix  Royal Scot tender chassis and modified straight side tender body. The Airfix tender drive is awful, 
I later fitted a Hornby tender but the coupling is completely different and needs substantial bodgery, to make it work.

• Informative/Useful 1

Definitely an Airfix chassis.

But the body is from a loco drive model as it's got a double chimney and that came in when Dapol upgraded the model before Hornby acquired the tooling. And if it's got a double chimney then it should have a BR liveried tender as they didn't get the DCs in GWR days.

So seems you've got a mixture of parts from different models.

Jason

• Like 2