Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, not the best is it - somewhat of a mouthful. Was that the only Sandy with a big tender?

Still, they do look more balanced IMHO with the larger tender.  Not sure I could stand a footballer though!

I'm afraid so, apart from the ones that became B2s.

• RMweb Premium

B2's....shudder.

Nice new (?) view there by the 'box, I prefer the colour version personally.

I've tried that view a few times Neil, but it is always very strongly back lit, which doesn't help. Nor does the fact that the bridge was never intended to be seen from this side, though you have all been very tactful about that.

I've tried that view a few times Neil, but it is always very strongly back lit, which doesn't help. Nor does the fact that the bridge was never intended to be seen from this side, though you have all been very tactful about that.

It actually looks better photographed from this side with the foliage and the assumption that the road may actually go somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

It actually looks better photographed from this side with the foliage and the assumption that the road may actually go somewhere.

It does Mick, and I would really like to extend it as I have done with Spital Bridge. That one has a wall to butt up against though, while Crescent Bridge has thin air and then a window recess. I'm still trying to think of a way round it, but no flash of inspiration yet. There will at least be a new bridge, complete on both sides, this year though.

• RMweb Premium

This morning we shall have another pre grouping interlude.

post-98-0-80609900-1483697648_thumb.jpg

New Year resolution number 317, put new lamps on the C12.

and then we have the last M&GN service of the day to have run the whole distance from Yarmouth, and the obligatory Ivatt.

post-98-0-68479700-1483697834_thumb.jpg

They do photograph surprisingly nicely, you know. Quite striking, really.

• Like 19

What do we have this evening, apart from an aching back? A shiny A4 - Lord Faringdon in the bay, waiting to take over the Up Glasgow.

attachicon.gif34 in bay.JPG

While at Platform 6 another engine failure, genuine this one, results in a run up the E.Lincs line for a D11.

attachicon.gif2670 1.JPG

Gilbert,

Very thoughtful of you to produce the D11, but it might have looked a bit nicer if the cleaners had done a "brush up" on it first.   You really must get a grip of those boys.

Mind you, even Faringdon is getting slightly travel stained. !!

Thanks anyway,

Stuart

It does Mick, and I would really like to extend it as I have done with Spital Bridge. That one has a wall to butt up against though, while Crescent Bridge has thin air and then a window recess. I'm still trying to think of a way round it, but no flash of inspiration yet. There will at least be a new bridge, complete on both sides, this year though.

At the foot of Crescent Bridge on the west side, at the junction of Thorpe Road and Midland Road there used to be a very very large substantially built advertising hoarding that hid the end of the wagon works from a road level view.

Maybe you could use this to disguise the west end ramp from the direction of the station viewing area.  Cannot find any decent photos of it and it just shows how observant I am as I had not realised that it is no longer there, I rarely travel that route though.

On the Google image it used to be where the fence is now and filled that whole area.

post-15323-0-29020000-1483714843_thumb.jpg

post-15323-0-81223100-1483714873.jpg

• RMweb Premium

At the foot of Crescent Bridge on the west side, at the junction of Thorpe Road and Midland Road there used to be a very very large substantially built advertising hoarding that hid the end of the wagon works from a road level view.

Maybe you could use this to disguise the west end ramp from the direction of the station viewing area.  Cannot find any decent photos of it and it just shows how observant I am as I had not realised that it is no longer there, I rarely travel that route though.

On the Google image it used to be where the fence is now and filled that whole area.

attachicon.gifthorpe-midland road.jpg

attachicon.gifThorpeRoad-aerial-1990s.jpg

That's a good idea, thanks Mick. If we can't find a way to extend the bridge in that direction, it might at least be possible to create a break in that way. We shall see.

• RMweb Gold

I had given up waiting, Colin!

But seasick?  Never.  7 years at sea, never threw it once!

Sorry Neil, having drawn the beard I couldn't help notice the resemblance to a certain blues artist. The resemblance occurring n my drawing rather than in life, obviously.

As for the timing, that's the secret of good comedy :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What a lovely way to end the day and to go to bed on. Thank you, Gilbert, such joy. More tomorrow?

With best regards,

Rob.

Definitely Rob. 266 Down deserves special treatment, and I find it as difficult to resist a Claud as I do a B17.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As promised, more of the Scotch goods.

post-98-0-95828000-1483870120_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-45838900-1483870158_thumb.jpg

This one only just got through quality control.

Just seen the Bachmann announcements. Thompson coaches on the way. :imsohappy: That will be a big help with putting formations together from loose stock. And why is it that, good though I now am at resisting inappropriate locomotives, the announcement of a Midland 1P has got me all hot and bothered? They got no closer to Peterborough than the Rolleston Junction to Southwell branch, and occasionally Newark shed. They did come to Lincoln shed though when Newark closed, and I remember them well -58065/85. Lovely little engines. Stop it!

• Like 14