Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, great northern said:

Deltic is always popular, so here is one more angle.

243170574_3Deltic2.JPG.4968c70ee0c601e6d55ab9a3e69c944e.JPG

Hi Gilbert

On a summer Saturday with all the extra trains going to the seaside would they have ran Deltic. It wouldn't been able to show its excellent acceleration and top speed with so many slow steam engines in the way.  

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

On a summer Saturday with all the extra trains going to the seaside would they have ran Deltic. It wouldn't been able to show its excellent acceleration and top speed with so many slow steam engines in the way.  

Yes they would. You wouldn’t expect Gilbert to run it otherwise would you?!

This excellent publication gives all its workings. It was a regular on the Filey ho,I day camp train in the summer of 1959.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/dp1-59.htm

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Yes they would. You wouldn’t expect Gilbert to run it otherwise would you?!

This excellent publication gives all its workings. It was a regular on the Filey ho,I day camp train in the summer of 1959.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/dp1-59.htm

Andy 

But Clive has this strange attraction to diesely things you see, and so he likes to try and wind me up now and again... and again. As he is poorly sick with Covid, and feeling very rough at the moment, I will retrospectively grant a special dispensation in this case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

Well yes, because you see they gave it 13 to haul on a Saturday, when nothing was going anywhere very fast. On weekdays, it only had to haul 8 or 9, which gave it a chance to keep up with the Pacifics.😇

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Is that a new angle? Either way, I like it.

Slightly different I think. I have taken photos from round here before, bu this time I let the loco get slightly under the bridge, and I reckon it does improve it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, great northern said:

Tim and I wondered whether anyone would mention something unusual about this loco when I showed the first pictures of it, but no-one did, so I will now tell you that there is something not just unusual but unique about this particular B1, and see what transpires. If anyone spotted it immediately, but thought it so obvious that it wasn't worth commenting on, I shall apologise. It is one for those with a particular interest in matters LNER/BR really.

No AWS bang plate indicates no train control fittings, a bit of a rarity at this time?

Edited by trw1089
expanded explanation

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, great northern said:

Tim and I wondered whether anyone would mention something unusual about this loco when I showed the first pictures of it, but no-one did, so I will now tell you that there is something not just unusual but unique about this particular B1, and see what transpires. If anyone spotted it immediately, but thought it so obvious that it wasn't worth commenting on, I shall apologise. It is one for those with a particular interest in matters LNER/BR really.

I really am no expert on LNER matters but I do note that:

1. This loco still has electric lighting although I suspect that many B1's had same at this time so thats not it.

2, The centre light location has two lenses !

That is the vote from an SR (ex LSWR) modeller.

I have not consulted my library to check further....

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium

I have gone back to your previous images of 61075 and on the RH side I noticed a cylinder on the front of the running board and a conduit along the side under the handrail which I’m not used to seeing. Are these the generator for the electric lights and this was the only one so fitted? 

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I have gone back to your previous images of 61075 and on the RH side I noticed a cylinder on the front of the running board and a conduit along the side under the handrail which I’m not used to seeing. Are these the generator for the electric lights and this was the only one so fitted? 

Very nearly, in fact so close as to get the prize, if there  was one.

61075 was one of the large batch built by North British Loco in LNER days. All were in traffic by the end of 1947, and none had electric lighting. In fact the next batch from Vulcan Foundry didn't have it either, and everything I have read previously said that it was only fitted from 61190 onwards. That was the start of North British's next batch.

However, by the late 50s 61075 did have full lighting, as evidenced by several photographs. This is not mentioned in the books where one might expect to find it, there is no mention in RCTS 2B, nor in Yeadon. I can find no other photographic evidence or indeed written evidence of any other of these earlier engines having been fitted, so 1075 does appear to have been unique. When and why it was fitted, I do not know.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1