Peterborough North

great northern

1 hour ago, great northern said:

A lovely little Claud has come down the engine road and is having a rest in the old shed yard.

426132.JPG.3c4056d236176839aea857e7b109c9b8.JPG

It did not interfere with Enterprise bringing in the Up Ripon.

51111.JPG.dff9231aa4e81330d78fde4cdf6fd5b4.JPG

Picking Steve @31A up from Newark station in a while, and we shall be joined by Phil and Clive this afternoon. I have forgotten to buy a tool for extracting Clive from tight spaces.

Enterprise looks stunning. But all photos I've seen show it in poor external condition,was it's condition here based on a photo. If so could you let me know where? As I say that looks a gem!

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, davidw said:

Enterprise looks stunning. But all photos I've seen show it in poor external condition,was it's condition here based on a photo. If so could you let me know where? As I say that looks a gem!

This one was done some years ago, but my recollection is that it was from a Keith Pirt photo at Grantham. What matters though is the date on the various photos you have seen. Grantham kept its A3s clean until 1959, not far short of Top Shed standards. For some reason though, cleaning suddenly stopped altogether, and between lateish 1959 and 1961 Grantham engines were in a disgraceful state, unless just out of the paint shop. I too have seen several shots of 111 in poor condition, but they are all later dates.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, great northern said:

This one was done some years ago, but my recollection is that it was from a Keith Pirt photo at Grantham. What matters though is the date on the various photos you have seen. Grantham kept its A3s clean until 1959, not far short of Top Shed standards. For some reason though, cleaning suddenly stopped altogether, and between lateish 1959 and 1961 Grantham engines were in a disgraceful state, unless just out of the paint shop. I too have seen several shots of 111 in poor condition, but they are all later dates.

Thanks for the clarification. My 111 is dirtier....

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, great northern said:

Steve and I searched for a missing coach, but to no avail.

Pleased to report, following an exchange of Telegrams IMG_6160.jpeg.7fcde1d952f2a044f63e9f2991956c72.jpegthe errant coach has been located.  Mis-shunted Bounds Green.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

A disappointing start to the day, as Phil wasn't well enough to join us, but all good after that. Clive didn't get stuck at all, but that could be because he never did the second duck under to the narrow bit. As usual, too busy nattering to actually run any trains. Steve and I searched for a missing coach, but to no avail.

Enterprise again tonight, passing a J11 and hastily assembled five set which has replaced the failed DMU.

Shock and horror one of the spares from Sheffield Exchange could have been loaned for today's photoshoot. 🙃

Second thoughts you have the diesel with the "Extra C"  so it wouldn't have worked. 🙁

That there Mr Great Northern geezer shouted at me "No you don't". Well I spotted a nice Bristol L with a ECW dual purpose body in green and cream livery and thought a photo of it going over the big bridge would look nice......he didn't. 😲

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Shock and horror one of the spares from Sheffield Exchange could have been loaned for today's photoshoot. 🙃

Second thoughts you have the diesel with the "Extra C"  so it wouldn't have worked. 🙁

That there Mr Great Northern geezer shouted at me "No you don't". Well I spotted a nice Bristol L with a ECW dual purpose body in green and cream livery and thought a photo of it going over the big bridge would look nice......he didn't. 😲

You were being naughty. First, it is unlikely that there would have been a bus on the bridge. I don't know how often they ran, but it wouldn't take them long to cross, so most of the time there wouldn't be one. Second, and much more important, it was the wrong type of bus.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, great northern said:

You were being naughty. First, it is unlikely that there would have been a bus on the bridge. I don't know how often they ran, but it wouldn't take them long to cross, so most of the time there wouldn't be one. Second, and much more important, it was the wrong type of bus.

No it weren't, Eastern Counties had some Bristol L types, it was just in a nice tilling green livery not the smart tilling red livery.

Plus Harry the driver was very lost, it is a long way from Lincoln to Nottingham so it is easy to lose your bearings, especially in Newark. Steve (31A) will confirm his taxi driver has managed it.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 6

On 23/05/2023 at 20:34, great northern said:

On a par with the A2/2s doesn't say much for it. Their annual mileage was awful, and they seem to have spent most of their time on the slow trains to and from Kings Cross.

533 seems odd though, in that it changed shed 13 times in its life of 14 years. No other member of the class moved more than 6 times. New England had it from new for a month, sent it to Copley Hill, got it back seven months later, but returned it three months after that. It came back just one month later! It then spent four years at New England, by far the longest it stayed at any shed. Then it was off to Grantham for two years, back to New England for nine months, Grantham again for nine months, then Kings Cross got it, but only for six, when it was returned to Grantham. Six months later back to New England, but just seven months later they got rid of it to Doncaster. It managed to remain there for two years and nine months, but I've seen quite a lot of photos of it on Doncaster-Leeds slows during that time. Then back to New England one more time, but only for nine more months, when it was withdrawn in the mass cull of June 1963.

From what I've read, sheds had their "good uns" and did all they could to keep hold of them, but that certainly didn't happen with 533. Strange really, considering it was a double chimney engine, and they were considered to be much better than the single chimney ones. The history does suggest though that sheds were more inclined to get rid of it as soon as possible.  But in all classes there seem to have been some that were extremely good, some average, and the occasional black sheep, so one can't tar a whole class with the same brush.

I would agree with most of what you say, Gilbert. The A./2's averaged around 40,000 miles p.a. somewhat below the other pacifics( though about the same as the Bulleid West Countries !) The New England trio were very common however at York, usually on expresses through to Newcastle. Of course, the crews judged them on performance, comfort, & coal consumption & weren't interested in design variation or annual mileages. Despite their maintenance problems the A.2/2's were, at times, capable of fine performances with 60502 probably being the best. There were definitely good, bad & indifferent in the same class & it is fascinating to look back at them now.

Ray.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No it weren't, Eastern Counties had some Bristol L types, it was just in a nice tilling green livery not the smart tilling red livery.

Plus Harry the driver was very lost, it is a long way from Lincoln to Nottingham so it is easy to lose your bearings, especially in Newark. Steve (31A) will confirm his taxi driver has managed it.

How he kept his job for so long if he could start out for Nottingham from Lincoln and finish up in Peterborough I do not know. As to your Newark excursion, at least you didn't get out of the town during your wanderings. You were just being naughty. Again.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

How he kept his job for so long if he could start out for Nottingham from Lincoln and finish up in Peterborough I do not know. As to your Newark excursion, at least you didn't get out of the town during your wanderings. You were just being naughty. Again.

Moi?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

A couple of images to show what Peter was doing on Sunday, and which I forgot about till just now. Both of us had come to the conclusion that three of them looked a bit too similar, and that all could benefit from some extra weathering. here's the result.

3weathering1.JPG.52124f64ed3e789163f99b361cf0f072.JPG

4weathering2.JPG.5c18bd7964cccfaaa98fadd97c3e5a0d.JPG

Being in a generous mood, I shall give you a third image, featuring the Claud again. I've been meaning for some time to do an image with a blue sky which hasn't been altered in any way from what the camera saw. Here it is.

12613.JPG.5012a7e05a3c4e654eebd3bc1626069c.JPG

Far too much colour saturation for my liking, but I'd appreciate your views. The photo was taken on a day with good natural light.

Gilbert although I like the view, the saturation level is too high for an English sky in my opinion. If it could be lightened gradually to the horizon it would be better but still more like an Aussie sky.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Gilbert although I like the view, the saturation level is too high for an English sky in my opinion. If it could be lightened gradually to the horizon it would be better but still more like an Aussie sky.

From a purely personal perspective, on my screen it matches pretty closely my Kodachrome slides of summer holidays in Cornwall in the 60s, so perhaps it more representative of what you'd get at the seaside rather than inland.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

From a purely personal perspective, on my screen it matches pretty closely my Kodachrome slides of summer holidays in Cornwall in the 60s, so perhaps it more representative of what you'd get at the seaside rather than inland.

It is an English sky though, taken by Andy Y over in the West Midlands. I think it is an exception that proves the rule, as I agree it really doesn't look like something often seen over here. If I take some saturation out though, I find I lose other detail, particularly the lightening to the horizon, which does show on some of the other skies Andy sent me.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

I love Diamond Jubilee. Did you have to do a tender swap to get the correct streamlined tender, or have Hornby done one like that?

Andy

Its about ten years since that was done Andy, but I believe we either did a swop or I somehow had a spare tender. It certainly wasn't a rebranding of an out of the box model.

• Like 1