Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, great northern said:

And in practical terms, how could they be stopped?

Quite possibly they wouldn't have been let on the platform at King's Cross in the first place by the ticket collector on the platform barrier.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 31A said:

Quite possibly they wouldn't have been let on the platform at King's Cross in the first place by the ticket collector on the platform barrier.

Ah yes! Thanks Steve, I hadn't thought of that. You would know though, wouldn't you? Mind you, can you imagine the reaction if you tried to stop some people in this day and age?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

14 hours ago, great northern said:

Visit today from Geoff West, who did not get to see any trains run, and later from TW , who very kindly offered to look at the recalcitrant A5. It was soon suitably cowed by his presence, and within minutes was running smoothly and with no need at all of new driving wheels.

This eve

An effect commonly known as 'The hand of Wright'.

Glad to hear that you have got a distinctive loco back running again without resorting to the extensive repairs that you first thought.

• RMweb Premium
On 21/06/2023 at 21:17, great northern said:

I did find this one, dated as 1904, and as this is genuinely for research purposes I think it is quite appropriate to post it here. It is from the LCGB Ken Nunn collection.

img20230621_21113459.jpg.ec4ce2ac5f33f8fe424deb8d3f6d201c.jpg

I know I can be a bit slow at times, but it wasn't till I looked back at this picture that I realised:

- The main subject loco and train is a "Muddle & Go Nowhere" service - note the loco number / brass cabside numerals and the tender lettering M&GNR.

- There is an interesting propelling move into the platform 4 bay road in progress - trying to hide behind the water-crane - with either the guard or one of the loco crew hanging a long way out to try and check the road ahead.

Fascinating.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

I remember that grumpy old sod.

Or did every station have one?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

An effect commonly known as 'The hand of Wright'.

Glad to hear that you have got a distinctive loco back running again without resorting to the extensive repairs that you first thought.

Good afternoon Graham,

I'm waiting for a further report from Gilbert on the A5. All I did was to tweak a pick-up or two, and then the loco ran 'perfectly'. However, knowing my ignorance of DCC (in which I rejoice, by the way) and its propensity to throw up several more problems, I'll keep my fingers crossed until it's run on several diagrams.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
clumsy grammar
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Graham,

I'm waiting for a further report from Gilbert on the A5. All I did was to tweak a pick-up or two, and then the loco ran 'perfectly'. However, knowing my ignorance of DCC (in which I rejoice, by the way) and its propensity to throw up several more problems, I'll keep my fingers crossed until it's run on several diagrams.

Regards,

Tony. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of the A5 running on Peterboro' North, especially if the C12 and K2 appear as well.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of the A5 running on Peterboro' North, especially if the C12 and K2 appear as well.

Regards

Chris H

Getting all three in one shot may be a bit of a challenge, but I will if I can.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 31A said:

Importantly, the Peterborough stop would not be advertised at KX, so no-one should be aware of it. I recall some ongoing angst on the WR when Reading & environs became a fashionable commuting spot. A number of fast down evening-peak services called at Reading to pick up only - but the 'entitled' season-ticket holders objected to having to take a secondary semi-fast service. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Importantly, the Peterborough stop would not be advertised at KX, so no-one should be aware of it.

Indeed; after I had pressed 'send' I realised I should have mentioned that Peterborough would not have been listed with the calling points on departure boards etc. at King's Cross.

In the 1990s I worked in Watford (Melton House) for a while and quite often boarded 'Set Down Only" Up trains, with my Duty Pass, to go from Watford Jn. to Euston after work - nobody ever tried to stop me!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Importantly, the Peterborough stop would not be advertised at KX, so no-one should be aware of it. I recall some ongoing angst on the WR when Reading & environs became a fashionable commuting spot. A number of fast down evening-peak services called at Reading to pick up only - but the 'entitled' season-ticket holders objected to having to take a secondary semi-fast service. 

I'm still puzzled, Ian. I don't have the 1958 public timetable, but I do have 1957, which shows the train as leaving PN at 7.58pm. Only departure times are shown for all services. So, Mr Frightfully-Important, having the public timetable, could see that the train departed KX at 5.35pm, and turn up waving his first class ticket. It was then down to the poor chap on the barrier to refuse to let him through, was it?  I wouldn't have fancied that job. "Look here my man, here is the timetable BR sell, it clearly shows I can catch this train here."

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, great northern said:

I'm still puzzled, Ian. I don't have the 1958 public timetable, but I do have 1957, which shows the train as leaving PN at 7.58pm. Only departure times are shown for all services. So, Mr Frightfully-Important, having the public timetable, could see that the train departed KX at 5.35pm, and turn up waving his first class ticket. It was then down to the poor chap on the barrier to refuse to let him through, was it?  I wouldn't have fancied that job. "Look here my man, here is the timetable BR sell, it clearly shows I can catch this train here."

I haven't got a 1958 timetable either, but I've got a 1959 one!

In Table 2 (London King's Cross, Peterborough, Grantham, Doncaster, Hull, Leeds, Bradford and York), it shows no Peterborough arrival time for the 5.35pm King's Cross-Newcastle and the departure time has a note U against it which is explained in the footnotes as "Calls to take up passengers only", which is the way of advertising to the public that it is not available for passengers traveling from King's Cross to Peterborough (as well as the fact that Peterborough wouldn't appear on the list of calls on the King's Cross departure indicator).

As you say, in Table 1 it only shows the Peterborough departure time, not an arrival time and that applies to all Peterborough entries in that table, as Table 1 shows trains FROM Peterborough towards Scotland but not "local' journeys between London and Peterborough, for which Table 2 is the source of information.  For example, Table 1 only shows Hitchin between King's Cross and Peterborough as at that time some long distance trains called there, and Table 1 doesn't show the 4.15pm King's Cross-Cleethorpes or the 4.19 King's Cross all stations to Peterborough.  These are shown in Table 2 as they are trains which can be used for 'Local' journeys to Peterborough.

I think strictly speaking if somebody had managed to evade the ticket collector and was board that train with a ticket to Peterborough, they should be asked to pay the Excess Fare to the first unrestricted stop which was probably Grantham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 31A said:

I think strictly speaking if somebody had managed to evade the ticket collector and was board that train with a ticket to Peterborough, they should be asked to pay the Excess Fare to the first unrestricted stop which was probably Grantham.

What a wicked guard, I do hope you were kinder. Except to the first class passengers they can afford to pay more.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

What a wicked guard, I do hope you were kinder. Except to the first class passengers they can afford to pay more.

Luckily my trains didn't have first class so that problem never arose!  I did say "strictly speaking"....

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 31A said:

I haven't got a 1958 timetable either, but I've got a 1959 one!

In Table 2 (London King's Cross, Peterborough, Grantham, Doncaster, Hull, Leeds, Bradford and York), it shows no Peterborough arrival time for the 5.35pm King's Cross-Newcastle and the departure time has a note U against it which is explained in the footnotes as "Calls to take up passengers only", which is the way of advertising to the public that it is not available for passengers traveling from King's Cross to Peterborough (as well as the fact that Peterborough wouldn't appear on the list of calls on the King's Cross departure indicator).

As you say, in Table 1 it only shows the Peterborough departure time, not an arrival time and that applies to all Peterborough entries in that table, as Table 1 shows trains FROM Peterborough towards Scotland but not "local' journeys between London and Peterborough, for which Table 2 is the source of information.  For example, Table 1 only shows Hitchin between King's Cross and Peterborough as at that time some long distance trains called there, and Table 1 doesn't show the 4.15pm King's Cross-Cleethorpes or the 4.19 King's Cross all stations to Peterborough.  These are shown in Table 2 as they are trains which can be used for 'Local' journeys to Peterborough.

I tend to work on the WTT Steve, where East Coast and Main Line are separated. The Newcastle is East Coast, so that's where I look, but obviously in error.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2