RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Saturday please.more interesting coaching stock and more V2s.

Less Mk1s, certainly, but it is mostly end vestibule stock on the East Coast services, and all door on the Main line, which I do find rather predictable. Definitely more V2s though. Having looked at files more carefully I find that there has in fact only been one weekday sequence, so I think another is likely before I go to Saturday again.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2023 at 09:36, great northern said:

Then I felt the urge to play about with zoom again. ...  and didn't get it right.

It works almost as well just by cropping the original, Gilbert?

10144.JPG.4d9e1ffcbcd47c71186d934fe94ab8242.jpeg.5158adb37189a3af4a0e667f517cb953.jpeg

I agree with it being a favourite viewpoint ... but there again I might just be a tiny bit biased (!)

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

The K2 has quite taken my fancy. And then you provide a marvellous picture with North Box in shot and the C12 in the the north-end pilot road - in addition to the K2. You have quite made my day.

Very well done.

Regards

Chris H

Thank you. I'm delighted to hear that I have had a positive influence on your day, particularly if it is otherwise as dismal and grey as it is here. I did try to find a way to include an A5 as well, but if I'd put it on the Grimsby in the bay it would not have been visible, and a light engine on the Down didn't look quite right either.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That K2 is gorgeous.  I wonder how I could go about justifying one for my layout.  Off to the books to do some "justifying". 

And as always Gilbert, thanks for continuing to post such excellent images.  This thread, more than any others, keeps inspiring me to get on with my own modelling.

Cheers
Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, great northern said:

Following the progress of the K2 this morning.

31759and7398.JPG.772e42fc407f8880f17f411482cabbb0.JPG

417594.JPG.36013415adbedd9ed31b505655447764.JPG

Good morning Gilbert,

I'm delighted to see the K2 in action on PN (did you manage to eventually 'address' it correctly?). 

What took my fancy when I built it was the evidence of the removal of the Westinghouse equipment. Yeadon suggests it was retained to the loco's withdrawal, but the picture of it in Eastern Steam in Colour shows it missing; as always, when building models, one can find 'contradictory evidence'. 

As an aside, have you 'lost' a J6? I have one here, built from a London Road kit, fitted with a decoder and, at the rear, a Kadee coupling fixed at buffer beam height. 

LRMJ664177.jpg.aad61885f93a80606256c5f947f3ced9.jpg

I know I've had locos of yours to fix (and this one certainly needed fixing - which is now done) in the past, but I have no recollection of where and how I obtained this! From time to time, I examine boxes on my shelves, and this loco was in its box on one such shelf, along with the same firm's J3 and D2 (both of which I do remember building, but not this). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Gilbert,

I'm delighted to see the K2 in action on PN (did you manage to eventually 'address' it correctly?). 

What took my fancy when I built it was the evidence of the removal of the Westinghouse equipment. Yeadon suggests it was retained to the loco's withdrawal, but the picture of it in Eastern Steam in Colour shows it missing; as always, when building models, one can find 'contradictory evidence'. 

As an aside, have you 'lost' a J6? I have one here, built from a London Road kit, fitted with a decoder and, at the rear, a Kadee coupling fixed at buffer beam height. 

LRMJ664177.jpg.aad61885f93a80606256c5f947f3ced9.jpg

I know I've had locos of yours to fix (and this one certainly needed fixing - which is now done) in the past, but I have no recollection of where and how I obtained this! From time to time, I examine boxes on my shelves, and this loco was in its box on one such shelf, along with the same firm's J3 and D2 (both of which I do remember building, but not this). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, that is mine. Its the one Tony from OZ, see post above about the K2, very kindly built for me. I hadn't mentioned it as I know how busy you are. 

I held the K2 back, as I knew this goods turn was coming up, and it seemed to me to be the ideal working for a Boston engine. It will get some passenger jobs as well though. I still can't change the address, but I did manage to remember what the old one was.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Yes, that is mine. Its the one Tony from OZ, see post above about the K2, very kindly built for me. I hadn't mentioned it as I know how busy you are. 

I held the K2 back, as I knew this goods turn was coming up, and it seemed to me to be the ideal working for a Boston engine. It will get some passenger jobs as well though. I still can't change the address, but I did manage to remember what the old one was.

Thanks Gilbert,

I'll get it back to you at a convenient time. It didn't run very well (but does now) and I'll fix the backhead and crew back in place.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, great northern said:

Gateshead A1 Sir Walter Scott has arrived from New England and is waiting in the bay.

9143.JPG.e3f911232853329a23c1ceeb50b139be.JPG

A little later, the K1 having moved its vans out of the way, we find out. It is the Colchester- Glasgow, and this is one of the rare occasions when the Colchester engine has run right through.

11666.JPG.7c2cc8672862b8fe52e3bbe995c90ed1.JPG

The gang were here again today, and we had a lovely time. Did they see any trains run?  What a silly question, of course not. But we did have some very interesting discussions, and cake.

That Damn Gresley and his Time Machine eh Gilbert?

• RMweb Premium

Our Mr Great Northern is a real spoilsport. We had only been in the train set room, with its new soft rubber matting where we crawl in, for a few seconds and I was being told off. Well Gilbert noticed I had spotted a nice red bus to plonk on Crescent Bridge. 🙁

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Our Mr Great Northern is a real spoilsport. We had only been in the train set room, with its new soft rubber matting where we crawl in, for a few seconds and I was being told off. Well Gilbert noticed I had spotted a nice red bus to plonk on Crescent Bridge. 🙁

Yes, one had somehow escaped from the hiding place where I put them when I know he is coming. However, a very firm "No!" turned out to be all that was needed. Actually, that bus has appeared on the bridge before, as it is Eastern Counties and the destination board reads Kings Lynn. Whether there was such a service from Peterborough I don't have a clue, but it stopped being there as it was a pig to photoshop among all those struts.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Much enjoyed the visitation yesterday.

I just love looking at the 'new' Houses and how they have just blended in; the Gardens are brilliantly set out too. I was actually thin enough to venture beyond the Midland Lines and there I discovered the array of stock that creates the 'backscene'. Leeeerrrrvely.

There was also a bit of Committee decision making about the placement of some little people. Sorted.

However, apart from meeting the chaps after some time and scoffing a Swiss that had rolled up, my best parts were the discussions about and discovering just how congested was the ECML and the dreadful bottleneck that was Peterborough North back in those hazy,  crazy days of a late 50s Summer.

Then the fact that I, as an ignorant peasant from down Devon, had never realised that Mallard ran with an A3 Tender in 1960 and 1961, or that all the A3 Corridor Tenders went to A4s when they arrived on the scene. Fascinating for me who, of course, knows a bit about the world of confusion that is the allocation of Bulleid Tenders to those Engines and the variety of build and allocation to Engine of those tenders, from build, through service, to scrap time.  Nightmare for the 'Average Modeller', no problem to those that don't care, Purgatory for the Purists (not me).

One thing thought, I wonder how many LNER/ER buffs know that a Schools Class actually ran with a Lord Nelson Bogie Tender for a time? I know one that knows they were a very successful 4.4.0. Sadly I never ever saw one in full tilt mode. I only saw them at Reading SR Shed.

Enough of foreign things.

Thanks Gilbert and pals for an uplifting few hours and to the A46 and A1 for not being sh!te. 

Phil

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2