Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, great northern said:

The NG is one of a very nice set of three built for me by Ian Willets.......not long before Hornby announced theirs. Only 15 miles from March to PN, so perhaps lack of convenience wasn't that dire a prospect. All the rest is indeed kit built or conversion, two by our esteemed mate Mr Pearce, and the rest by Ian Willets.

I thought I recognised that Willet Maroon. That three Coach set is one of my favourites on the layout; just looks absolutely the correct colour from my addled memory.

That Mr Pearce is a hidden gem isn't he. Loves fitting HInges and door bangers to all door Coaches I hear!

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

That Mr Pearce is a hidden gem isn't he. Loves fitting HInges and door bangers to all door Coaches I hear!

P

Cheers Phil!   Door bangers?  Head banger more like!

IMG_6565.jpeg.4f493b358414522ff72665d02d54d190.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, 31A said:

Cheers Phil!   Door bangers?  Head banger more like!

IMG_6565.jpeg.4f493b358414522ff72665d02d54d190.jpeg

Yes, deffo. I can see why Mr Goddard only popped in the Lower Hinges; It takes bloomin ages and Bangers just adds another few hours of singed Fingers.

Phil.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

But I thought this was going to be a nice easy one Steve?

It's getting easier now I've got past that stage!

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yes, deffo. I can see why Mr Goddard only popped in the Lower Hinges; It takes bloomin ages and Bangers just adds another few hours of singed Fingers.

Phil.

To be honest, with the Teak coaches that I normally do I don't bother with the door bangers, but with these being smooth sided I thought their omission might be rather obvious!

I'll put a some more about these on my own thread when I've got a bit further with them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, great northern said:

Silver Link under the roof, braking for the stop.

Those "under the roof" images always seem so evocative.

Changing tack slightly, I could never understand why Silver Link was not preserved. It was well beyond my financial capability at the time so I can't be blamed! The design and construction of this  locomotive, and the stock that went with it, is one of the truly great stories of British enterprise and confidence. Would make a great biopic film. 

Kind regards,

• Agree 6

32 minutes ago, great northern said:

A short train, formed of a MK1 five set from Nottingham, and a three car portion from Newark, TSO CK BSK. That portion ran from Grantham to Newark earlier, and was attached to the rear at Grantham on its return. I suspect that by the 50s it was the only passenger train to use the Up bay at Newark.

Next seen at rest, but will soon be on the way to KX, stopping only for three minutes at Huntingdon.

6144.JPG.dbf4bb0118eabc1bb10da9298d7108d7.JPG

Arrive KX 1050, so Silver Link would not require any high speed exploits. In those more civilised days though, still time for a morning appointment in the City, or just some sight seeing. Or a day at the Cross watching trains. Bliss.

I must have missed this train on previous cycles, Gilbert (or simply not paying attention!). An interesting working; presumably the loco came on at Grantham (return working of an earlier 'down' working out of King's Cross?)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Those "under the roof" images always seem so evocative.

Changing tack slightly, I could never understand why Silver Link was not preserved. It was well beyond my financial capability at the time so I can't be blamed! The design and construction of this  locomotive, and the stock that went with it, is one of the truly great stories of British enterprise and confidence. Would make a great biopic film. 

Kind regards,

The answer as far as Silver Link is concerned, I think, is Mallard. Even in those less than enlightened days the world record holder was bound to be earmarked for preservation, and in the late 50s/early 60s there would have been no though of "official" preservation of another of the class. As with so many other classes, when the private preservation movement got going just a few years later, so many deserving locos and entire classes had already been cut up.

If you'd still like to visit, shall we arrange it while the weather and daylight are still decent?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

I must have missed this train on previous cycles, Gilbert (or simply not paying attention!). An interesting working; presumably the loco came on at Grantham (return working of an earlier 'down' working out of King's Cross?)

Yes, the five set came from Nottingham behind an A5 or L1 more likely than not, and the KX engine will have worked a Down train earlier. Pacifics were barred from the Grantham- Nottingham line, unless going to Colwick for reapirs, which did happen.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, trw1089 said:

Kings Courier looks absolutely superb, a standard I would like to get to one of these days.  But the B17 is definitely a favourite regardless of fancy big engines.

cheers

Tony

I realised how special B17s were even at the age of ten Tony. My all time best class is a tie between an A3 with single chimney and GN tender, and a B17, probably with GE tender. I have shown remarkable restraint in having so few of them.

• Like 3