Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

The Elizabethan was due, so the photographers rushed up onto Crescent Bridge in order to get some new angles.

1131.JPG.4d684470b2257a136e2f08808ec0c7d7.JPG

I'm not at all convinced by their efforts, but as usual I'll put them up and leave it to you.

2132.JPG.3c219b59fa661ae154ba700ac3f21f82.JPG

I think they work well. It's always good to see a fresh angle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Having an Up loaded coal train clanking through under steam would have really made the waiting passengers suffer much more than a passenger service, I suspect. Not nice.  

Could there have been a standing instruction to shut off steam while under the canopy, I wonder? There would, I think, have been time to get up to the 20mph PSR after leaving the yards, and coasting a comparatively short distance should not have made much difference. The smoke generated by the pilot while banking or while shunting would have been unavoidable though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

while approaching from the other end is the 1045 arrival from Louth, an A5 and three set instead of the rostered DMU again.

498081.JPG.e329808f6b5c41997f304b08ca77ba9a.JPG

Not rising to the bait. Hopefully Timara will have build a class 114 for you in the near future.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It’s good to see that No.13 has a proper 5 chime NZR whistle on it too, though I heard a certain shed master disapproved of it.  Someone had mentioned to me that they thought No.12 had a different whistle from one of the Australian railways (SAR?) but I’ve not seen any evidence of that, nor for No.10 either supposedly having a CPR/CNR whistle.  I believe the original Crosby 3 chimes were derivatives of the 3 chime whistles used by the Pennsylvania RR which maybe where Gresley got the idea from.  He was quite partial to their K4s locomotives (as am I!).

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Two more shots of the Elizabethan, just before it accelerates away and out of sight.

7134.JPG.1eca995225ea731d54587f2ee8ba74d5.JPG

8135.JPG.85dcd4f3b0705ccc8f2c924da1398f96.JPG

Good morning Gilbert,

Your 60013 is very convincing (Hornby/Timara?), and just how I remember seeing her on the 'Lizzie' in 1958 (is it the loco I fitted a proper Ian Wilson Pacific Models front numberplate to?).

One thing, perhaps, to note is that none of the 'Coronation' A4s ever displayed their worksplates on the cabside (apparently, they were fixed to the inside of the cab roof). They initially carried their respective countries' coats of arms below their numbers, but by 1958 60013 (and 60010) had lost hers; why, I don't know. 

60013small.jpg.4e833afa56b681059fbe7088247043e2.jpg

Here's the prototype, at Eaton Wood in 1958 (please, all, respect copyright restrictions on this image). Note nothing on the cabside beneath the number (and not-shiny whistle). 

Since my Little Bytham is set in the '58 same summer as Peterborough North..........

A46001303.jpg.595879fac754f328add28b48c6eca5a9.jpg

I also run DOMINION OF NEW ZEALAND (South Eastern Finecast/Wright/Haynes) on the 'Lizzie' from time to time. Note no visible worksplate below the number and not-shiny whistle. 

I was aware 60013 had a different whistle from the other A4s, but I cannot tell the visual difference. Did Timara exchange whistles on yours? It's, correctly, not-shiny.

60013 is clearly a popular A4............

A460013.jpg.fe32d92e4884d6cc93167c4fdc11d858.jpg

I can't remember who brought this modified Hornby one to run on Little Bytham. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15

On 02/10/2023 at 14:40, great northern said:

Could there have been a standing instruction to shut off steam while under the canopy, I wonder? There would, I think, have been time to get up to the 20mph PSR after leaving the yards, and coasting a comparatively short distance should not have made much difference. The smoke generated by the pilot while banking or while shunting would have been unavoidable though.

Would not coal dust have been a problem from all those open wagons?

(If one happened to be standing under the roof.)

I hope the nice lady in the blue dress on the opposite platform isn't too much affected by this.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Gilbert,

Your 60013 is very convincing (Hornby/Timara?), and just how I remember seeing her on the 'Lizzie' in 1958 (is it the loco I fitted a proper Ian Wilson Pacific Models front numberplate to?).

One thing, perhaps, to note is that none of the 'Coronation' A4s ever displayed their worksplates on the cabside (apparently, they were fixed to the inside of the cab roof). They initially carried their respective countries' coats of arms below their numbers, but by 1958 60013 (and 60010) had lost hers; why, I don't know. 

60013small.jpg.4e833afa56b681059fbe7088247043e2.jpg

Here's the prototype, at Eaton Wood in 1958 (please, all, respect copyright restrictions on this image). Note nothing on the cabside beneath the number (and not-shiny whistle). 

Since my Little Bytham is set in the '58 same summer as Peterborough North..........

A46001303.jpg.595879fac754f328add28b48c6eca5a9.jpg

I also run DOMINION OF NEW ZEALAND (South Eastern Finecast/Wright/Haynes) on the 'Lizzie' from time to time. Note no visible worksplate below the number and not-shiny whistle. 

I was aware 60013 had a different whistle from the other A4s, but I cannot tell the visual difference. Did Timara exchange whistles on yours? It's, correctly, not-shiny.

60013 is clearly a popular A4............

A460013.jpg.fe32d92e4884d6cc93167c4fdc11d858.jpg

I can't remember who brought this modified Hornby one to run on Little Bytham. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, Hornby/Timara, and it is indeed the one to which you kindly affixed a proper plate.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Would not coal dust have been a problem from all those open wagons?

(If one happened to be standing under the roof.)

I hope the nice lady in the blue dress on the opposite platform isn't too much affected by this.

Would there have been much dust generated at less than 20mph, I wonder. Both that problem, and that of smoke, could have been avoided by sending coal via the Up slow, but just about every photo I have seen shows them coming through on the main. Going via the slow would have been more time consuming, I would think, and I do wonder how much the chaos which would be caused by a wagon becoming derailed at either end and blocking the whole ECML might have been a factor in deciding only to do that when absolutely necessary.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 04/10/2023 at 08:59, 31A said:

Dominion of Canada was given a Canadian Pacific Railway whistle when it was renamed in 1937, Union of South Africa carried a South African Railways whistle and Dominion of New Zealand had a New Zealand Government Railways whistle.  Commonwealth of Australia was fitted with a multi note whistle in 1960 which came from Captain Howey of the RH&DR who had obtained it from a West Australian loco.

IMG_3870.jpeg.1db15cd7f8e38b1e2f7e1c20a0fc20c9.jpeg

The    account goes that Captain Howey, a big fan of the CPR , brought two CPR whistles back from Canada , one of which he gave to Gresley and the other was fitted to the RHDR’s Canadian Pacific “lookalike “ , Winston Churchill. Gresley later sent Howey a whistle not identical but very similar to an A4 whistle which was ( and I believe is still ) fitted to the RHDR’s “Hurricane”. I didn’t know about the Australian one but it seems Howey was rather an avid fan of whistles !

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2