Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I love seeing the coaches in detail. The Gresley and Thompson stock looks very fine. Presumably the FO next to the RK would be for dining. Wouldn’t it have been lettered up as a Restaurant Car? I know this is hard to tell from the CWN so I’m just guessing!

Andy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

I love seeing the coaches in detail. The Gresley and Thompson stock looks very fine. Presumably the FO next to the RK would be for dining. Wouldn’t it have been lettered up as a Restaurant Car? I know this is hard to tell from the CWN so I’m just guessing!

Andy

I've looked at the CWN, which doesn't help much. There is an a next to the number of seats in the FO, but the info below just says a- unclassed. This part of the train originated at Tyne Commission Quay, so I'd expect to see some posh catering. The RK, if I've read it right, was in use. It was empty and locked when returning from KX on the Thursday, but the book says "for FO 9.47..." so that seems to confirm it.

In practical terms, I have just one of these lovely Willets/Studley FOs, and it performs a variety of functions, so I can't restrict it by lettering it as an RC, even if it should be!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, great northern said:

Well, there you are, you see. Brian runs a poll on passenger tanks, A5/1 wins it, and a few days later one gets announced RTR. I think we should have some more polls now.

I know little about such machines, however I think they have got a winner with that Engine. I think they used to work up around Mansfield in the late 50s? Maybe even as far as Worksop?

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I know little about such machines, however I think they have got a winner with that Engine. I think they used to work up around Mansfield in the late 50s? Maybe even as far as Worksop?

They certainly worked to Mansfield until 1956, when the Nottingham Victoria to Mansfield Central line closed to passengers. Definitely to Chesterfield over the LDECR, so through Ollerton and Edwinstowe, but I don't think they would have got to Worksop. Southwell to Rolleston Junction late on, and of course Victoria to both Derby Friargate and Grantham.

Lots of work in Lincolnshire, the last being over the LMS from Lincoln St Marks to Nottingham and Derby Midland as late as 1960. Lovely engines, and a personal favourite because of my association with them at Lincoln and Boston, so my pre order has already gone in.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Here is a very nice image, copyright of and by kind permission of Andrew C Ingram.

img20210812_17071434.jpg.f16b1e690aada12a9f222ff3991da7a8.jpg

Could some erudite person please confirm the identity of the third coach? Not a MK1, is it?

Pullman of some sort? However it hasn't got dead flat sides I don't think? If you enlarge it it can help.  Only other thing I can think of is one of those early Coaches just about the end of its' career if the pic is around 1958? It appears to have 8 windows?

P

Edited by Mallard60022
Addition of thoughts.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Pullman of some sort? However it hasn't got dead flat sides I don't think? If you enlarge it it can help.  Only other thing I can think of is one of those early Coaches just about the end of its' career if the pic is around 1958? It appears to have 8 windows?

P

It would be very surprising if it was a Pullman, Phil. I've never seen or heard of one being in the formation of an otherwise ordinary express. The caption says it is 1959, which would be right for the double chimney on 60108, but by that time most of the old pre grouping stock had gone, so I just can't think what it might be.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

Here is a very nice image, copyright of and by kind permission of Andrew C Ingram.

img20210812_17071434.jpg.f16b1e690aada12a9f222ff3991da7a8.jpg

Could some erudite person please confirm the identity of the third coach? Not a MK1, is it?

The best I can think of is that it's a Gresley 'end doors' coach of some sort (either Open or End Vestibule) looking odd due to the angle and the way the light falls on it.  Compare the roof and the underframe with the coaches in front for example, but the horizontal beading of the lower panels hasn't been picked up by the camera.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 31A said:

The best I can think of is that it's a Gresley 'end doors' coach of some sort (either Open or End Vestibule) looking odd due to the angle and the way the light falls on it.  Compare the roof and the underframe with the coaches in front for example, but the horizontal beading of the lower panels hasn't been picked up by the camera.

it was the apparently different height of the waistbands that worried me Steve, but perhaps, as you say, it is just a trick of the light. Phil counted eight windows, one too many for an end vestibule.

• Like 3

On 09/08/2021 at 12:14, great northern said:

I suspect that the effects are most likely to be felt further down the line. If, for example, all Immingham's B1s are occupied taking happy holidaymakers to and from Skegness, what motive power will have to be dredged up to handle the locals which they usually monopolise?

Which would be the happiest Skeggy passengers, those on the way there, or those on the way back?

I don’t know about Skeggy, but from what I observed from Market Rasen , it seems the the soporific effects of an afternoon in the “Jolly Fisherman”, made the journey home from Cleethorpes rather pleasant !

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, jazzer said:

I don’t know about Skeggy, but from what I observed from Market Rasen , it seems the the soporific effects of an afternoon in the “Jolly Fisherman”, made the journey home from Cleethorpes rather pleasant !

Market Rasen is pretty soporific itself though.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, great northern said:

Market Rasen is pretty soporific itself though.

Not if you are a trainspotter on a Bank Holiday Monday  with all the Cleethorpes excursions coming through and a few stopping for water :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, great northern said:

it was the apparently different height of the waistbands that worried me Steve, but perhaps, as you say, it is just a trick of the light. Phil counted eight windows, one too many for an end vestibule.

I suspect a Third open, something like a D.186.

• Like 3