Peterborough North

great northern

It could be a part of a ground signal, as there was one on that side of the water crane as well, and I think that white band is the back of it. On close inspection, it does seem to pass behind what we think is the valve.

I think there are TWO seperate items. Firstly the valve for the water column and secondly the rear of a ground signal for backing onto the platform road and it is the balance lever and weight for this that can be  seen. Does the signal diagram show a Dolly here?

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I think there are TWO seperate items. Firstly the valve for the water column and secondly the rear of a ground signal for backing onto the platform road and it is the balance lever and weight for this that can be  seen. Does the signal diagram show a Dolly here?

Tony

It does Tony, and I'm looking for photos to show it, but no luck so far.

• RMweb Premium

I found this topic by accident the other day and clicked 'follow' straight away. What a masterpiece! I'm working my way through from page 1 but I'm only up to 17 yet - it'll give me something to read in the lunch breaks at work :)

If I had the resources my leanings would be Truro or maybe Plymouth but who can resist a Gresley pacific...!

The thread has reminded me of an old friend, Ralph Turner, who was young fireman at Kings Cross from 1955 to 1963. Ralph became like an older brother to me but sadly died over 10 years ago now. He came from a rural area in Lincolnshire but there was no work so he left to become a cleaner at Top Shed at the age of 15. (I believe his uncle was a steam roller driver). As one of the younger men he was never on the Elizabethan and the like but eventually he had passenger work out to Grantham, plus express goods as far as York.

He would obviously have known Peterborough, so your evocative recreation is a link to my old friend. He let me write down some notes of his experiences, I shall have to dig them out.

Keep up the good work, 

Trevor.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I found this topic by accident the other day and clicked 'follow' straight away. What a masterpiece! I'm working my way through from page 1 but I'm only up to 17 yet - it'll give me something to read in the lunch breaks at work :)

If I had the resources my leanings would be Truro or maybe Plymouth but who can resist a Gresley pacific...!

The thread has reminded me of an old friend, Ralph Turner, who was young fireman at Kings Cross from 1955 to 1963. Ralph became like an older brother to me but sadly died over 10 years ago now. He came from a rural area in Lincolnshire but there was no work so he left to become a cleaner at Top Shed at the age of 15. (I believe his uncle was a steam roller driver). As one of the younger men he was never on the Elizabethan and the like but eventually he had passenger work out to Grantham, plus express goods as far as York.

He would obviously have known Peterborough, so your evocative recreation is a link to my old friend. He let me write down some notes of his experiences, I shall have to dig them out.

Keep up the good work, 

Trevor.

Thank you Trevor, and welcome. If you can find those notes it would be really good if you could share them with us. The more I can find out what actually happened back then the better.

• RMweb Premium

Here is the closest crop I can get on the other side of the telephone box at the North end of Platform 3.

post-98-0-43212100-1477488410.jpg

Can someone cleverer than I interpret it?  I've checked the North box signal diagram, and confirmed that the ground signal on this side is further up on the other side of the barrow crossing, to control the North end of the crossover, so it seems that can't be what we are seeing. It is in the correct place on the model, and that confirms it is too far away. I've just realised though that it doesn't seem to be there on the prototype image. :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This has appeared on the LNER page on Facebook. 

The query is what is the object in front of the Phone Box ? To me it looks like a water pump as it has a handle , others are saying the valve for the Water Crane?

Qoute

Peterborough August 11 1958 with 60504 'Mons Meg'

attachicon.gif1 pete.jpg

That mystery object/Dolly is a dumped Dolly just left there by the look of it. Maybe it was replaced by that one to the left; that looks quite new.

Phil 

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Trevor, and welcome. If you can find those notes it would be really good if you could share them with us. The more I can find out what actually happened back then the better.

I'd be very glad to Gilbert. Give me few days, perhaps the weekend. I've found the notes and just realised I took them down nearly 30 years ago. Frightening! They are pretty random and mostly concern the London area but it's all good atmosphere.

30 years ago there seemed so much time to do more and now look.... A lesson to all the younger folks reading this!

• RMweb Premium

I'd be very glad to Gilbert. Give me few days, perhaps the weekend. I've found the notes and just realised I took them down nearly 30 years ago. Frightening! They are pretty random and mostly concern the London area but it's all good atmosphere.

30 years ago there seemed so much time to do more and now look.... A lesson to all the younger folks reading this!

Not just the younger ones Trevor. They are very likely to have more time still to come than I am.

• RMweb Premium

First tonight we have a crowded scene.

post-98-0-32516200-1477518120_thumb.jpg

Dante is about to clear the section, which will allow Mons Meg to move forward and reverse onto the KX stopper.

post-98-0-32025100-1477518239_thumb.jpg

and as it does so, a very attractive and well proportioned engine arrives with the East shuttle.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Nothing on telly, can't be bothered with anything much, so I'll raid the image store. And what do I find?

post-98-0-69945300-1477598125_thumb.jpg

Yet another WD, relegated to the Up slow, as the London stopper is still occupying Platform 2. And now back to researching BSOs.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I'm getting to like Mons Meg a lot.  Must be my age.  I see the D16 has flared spokes...oops.  It is a simply lovely loco, it has completely captivated me.

D16s are right up there with B17s for me Neil, and that is very high praise. Those are two of the classes responsible for my choice of PN, the other being C12, and some Pacifics of course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Regular followers of the the thread will recall that the coal trains to Little Barford Power Station give me an excuse to run some locomotives which otherwise would be unlikely to be seen running through PN. The time has come for the regular service to appear, and once again some borrowing has occurred.

post-98-0-21101700-1477687251_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-65575400-1477687296_thumb.jpg

Actually, 01s could have been seen from the platforms quite regularly, but alas on the Midland lines I don't have room for. Perhaps that makes them a little more permissible?

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Just going back to the discussion about that thing next to the water crane, I've now found this image.

attachicon.gif003.jpg

That does look like a lever of some kind, don't you think? Can anyone interpret?

It almost looks like a pump (of the village pump type) but I do wonder if it's actually the valve for the water crane?

• RMweb Premium

It almost looks like a pump (of the village pump type) but I do wonder if it's actually the valve for the water crane?

I agree, I'm sure it is the valve for the water crane - I've seen similar on GN water cranes elsewhere and have modelled such a thing by modifying the valve that comes with the Mike's Models water crane kit.

• RMweb Premium

I agree, I'm sure it is the valve for the water crane - I've seen similar on GN water cranes elsewhere and have modelled such a thing by modifying the valve that comes with the Mike's Models water crane kit.

Thanks Steve, looks like another job to go on the to do list. Of course I shall now have to check the others as well though I suspect that all of those were close enough to the nearest water tank to make a pump unnecessary.

• RMweb Premium

This morning we have a nice locomotive portrait, as Gayton Hall, my best remembered B17, comes up the engine road.

post-98-0-87484100-1477731968_thumb.jpg

It is on its way to reverse into the Up bay, and wait to take over the Birmingham - Ely when it arrives. 61641 always seemed to be March's preferred choice for the Harwich - Liverpool boat train, our most glamorous service through Lincoln Central, so when i had the chance to have a B17 built by Tony Wright and painted by Ian Rathbone, it had to be this one.

It was followed by signs of modernisation, about to terminate with an E.Lincs local.

post-98-0-18443200-1477732353_thumb.jpg

I have to say that if asked whether I preferred this to the three coach local with a D16 or A5 at the head which it replaced, there would be no contest. Still, the march of progress cannot be halted, I suppose.

• Like 16