Cleaning tarnished Brass

• RMweb Premium

The fellow who repairs clockwork items (especially clocks and watches!) on 'The Repair Shop' appears to use this (or something with a similar label) in solution in an ultrasonic bath.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mike Buckner said:

Many Lima wheelsets are brass, they tarnish badly when unused for a period.
I wonder how well it would work to whip them out and soak in an ultrasonic bath with one of these fluids for a short period.

I'd always thought that ultasonic baths can be harmful to plastic, and the Lima wheels are insulated on at least one side with a plastic bush on the axle.

You might get away with it, but tread carefully!

John.

• Thanks 1

100.jpeg.82d2d9ced215ec750df4d5e1bbbed47e.jpeg 101.jpeg.eb45295103cdb011b3b32d7be0573a23.jpeg

On the left is what I brought and on the right what's being cleaned. The bottom side was very tarnished and been in for about 5 hours, the upper etch has only been in for just over an hour. Whilst not as shiny as on TV, I have no idea how long they soak them for on TV plus they may have started off much less tarnished

Still very impressed and as I will be selling this (incomplete) kit cheaply anything is better than what it was like

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Presumably the fluid can be used again?

John.

John

Yes. I left the remainder of the etches in the solution overnight and took them out this morning and gave them a good wash

103.jpeg.c56f5457feeacb15ca597a8530f51ef7.jpeg

This is how they came out with no further treatment. 

• Thanks 1