RMweb

SCOTRAIL LIVERY QUERY

Am I right in thinking the Scotrail loco livery is basically Inter City Mainline with the red band changed to blue ?

If so, reference current Bachmann 37401 or earlier 37415 and 37431 all in Inter City Mainline Livery.

If I were to change the red band to blue and obviously the number/position and add the appropriate Scotrail branding this would replicate the current Locomotives Services repaint of 37409 ?

No doubt there may be other minor differences but I'm just looking for the basic change. Not sure if the bottom half grey was a slightly different shade.

Edited by RBC

Yes difficult to see in the available photos.

If there was anything minor as you mention I was hoping a light weathering may make it disappear.

Also with my limited knowledge of  detailing etc just wondering how difficult it would be to change the band colour at the cab doors where there a few turns and twists and also over the bodyside grills.

Edited by RBC

I remember the class 47  "Charles Rennie Mackintosh" the Scotrail livery 47/4 in around 1988 and the blue was damaged showing the red underneath.   It literally had a single blue top coat, I always suspected someone had bought a can of non drip gloss from  Mc B&Q  and slapped it over the red.  Overpainting red with light blue in N or  00 is going to be a nightmare, the strip will look really thick by the time you get enough pigment to stop the red showing through.   Paint thickness doesn't scale...

The bodyside Black is dark grey.   
I can't remember any Scotrail livery 37/4s back in the 80s/90s the ones I remember and photographed were mainline or large logo 

Edited by DCB

Yes your right they didn't appear in Scotrail livery until now.

Good point about the strip being thick with the overpainting.

Probably leave it for now, Accurascale might do one 😆

Edited by RBC

A few photos from Flickr of what it ought to look like!

From Gordon Thompson:

Ayr - 07-09-1989

From Kevin Delaney:

From Ryan Taylor:

37409 Oban

Looking at the recent photos I think LSL have got the stripe in the same place, it's just the wrong colour!

Did any 37s carry the ScotRail branding and red stripe? Some 47s did, like this one in John Turner's photo:

c.03/1990 - Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh.

My 401 is on order for exactly this reason. I was going to convert an Accurascale 37409 but even if I have to remove the red stripe and end up repainting the light grey this will be an easier mod than removing the ETH nose connector, cutting in the body side window and still having to do a repaint!

6 hours ago, DCB said:

I remember the class 47  "Charles Rennie Mackintosh" the Scotrail livery 47/4 in around 1988 and the blue was damaged showing the red underneath.   It literally had a single blue top coat, I always suspected someone had bought a can of non drip gloss from  Mc B&Q  and slapped it over the red.  Overpainting red with light blue in N or  00 is going to be a nightmare, the strip will look really thick by the time you get enough pigment to stop the red showing through.   Paint thickness doesn't scale...

The bodyside Black is dark grey.   
I can't remember any Scotrail livery 37/4s back in the 80s/90s the ones I remember and photographed were mainline or large logo 

If happy with the position of the stripe I would apply a decal over the top. I’ve done it on a coach and it covered no problem.  Getting it to sit down on the grills will take some doing though.

Some 37s carried INTERCITY Swallow livery (with the white lower body) and some INTERCITY Mainline with the executive light grey lower body.  So providing your base model has the creamy lower body, the LSL relivery is just a case of replacing the red stripe, yes.  Original ScotRail livery, as on 47/7s etc also had the grey/cream lower body.

Executive Dark Grey or possibly Falcon Grey (if I remember the name correctly) which was a very slight (and almost un-noticeable) change of tone for the later IC liveries.  Exec was just a little bit green - particularly if it faded!

20 hours ago, LMSfan72 said:

If happy with the position of the stripe I would apply a decal over the top. I’ve done it on a coach and it covered no problem.  Getting it to sit down on the grills will take some doing though.

Here is the coach I mentioned:

IMG_1667.jpeg.ce0017705da9f88e520fe27e4065e6b3.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg.b24f311acbee83189a35f47c7a43eeae.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have always considered the ScotRail livery to be identical to the contemporary InterCity livery but with a blue stripe instead of red. I converted a Farish InterCity inspection saloon to to a ScotRail version by applying a blue stripe transfer over the red which, in such a small scale as N seemed to work.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

I came back to this after I wasn’t happy with the lining sitting on the grills. So, with nothing to lose I just masked off around the red stripe, applied a light grey Vallejo primer and then the blue. No problem at all with covering the red with only relatively light coats

IMG_1963.jpeg.b2a86ddaff0d54b80a079e2d07a9fa51.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1