Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Conflats as '03' runners

russ p

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Thanks Paul,  they certainly saw varied use. With the triang one being popular in the 60s I'm surprised no manufacturer has made a decent model of one especially Bachmann who could do a version to go with the 03.

Can you shed any light on how the containers were discharged? 

I'm trying to get hold of a mate who is an ex hartlepool driver to see if he remembers who steetley and cemetery north discharged them

2 hours ago, russ p said:

Thanks Paul,  they certainly saw varied use. With the triang one being popular in the 60s I'm surprised no manufacturer has made a decent model of one especially Bachmann who could do a version to go with the 03.

Can you shed any light on how the containers were discharged? 

I'm trying to get hold of a mate who is an ex hartlepool driver to see if he remembers who steetley and cemetery north discharged them

I thought I had an official photo of this, but apparently not - probably lost in the Fotopic debacle. Anyway, simple enough lift up, pull the lever and the two bottom flats open. 

By the way I would be surprised if they weren't used for cement. I thought they were like the H container, partially at least designed to go to a building site and to dump a load at the site where it would be used in quantity. Perhaps overtaken by the rapid introduction of ready mix concrete from bulk silos serviced by Presflos. 1954 onwards. 

Reverting to O3 ZSVs. There was much more variety used than Conflat Ls, simply plain Conflat As, but when we went to York to measure the unique BR Scottish Cables tank wagon we also found the frames from demountable tank wagons  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brdemountable/e32058387  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brdemountable/e2e0c027b  

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

... There was much more variety used than Conflat Ls, simply plain Conflat As, ...

Indeed - while 03.089 had a Conflat A in December 1986 ( 16th ) : -

211_03.jpg.a5f73a26102c7869e830e2df517ebc1e.jpg

... it had been coupled to something different ( former Pipe Wagon ? ) in August ( 9th ) : -

185_13.jpg.dcd37af5581fe0711bb526bf4b61865d.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Something else I've noticed is the Anglian 03s always seem to have the runner on the front whereas the NE ones seem to be on the back

A friend used to own an ex Gateshead one and there was a socket on the cab for the runner to plug into for lighting 

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

... it had been coupled to something different ( former Pipe Wagon ? ) in August ( 9th ) : -

185_13.jpg.dcd37af5581fe0711bb526bf4b61865d.jpg

Is that not a conflat with the chain boxes removed? Looks like a 10' underframe, you can see the remains of the chain ring mountings on the side and there appears to be some clutter on the deck that could be obscuring the gap.

(could even be the other side of the same one?)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Is that not a conflat with the chain boxes removed? Looks like a 10' underframe, you can see the remains of the chain ring mountings on the side and there appears to be some clutter on the deck that could be obscuring the gap.

(could even be the other side of the same one?)

Some ex-CONFLAT L runners had their chain boxes removed, and fixed onto the wagon floor.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Looks more like a 12' wheelbase to me ( about three wheel diameters between the wheels ).

Those are definitely CONFLAT chain rings on the side; the only 12ft. WB CONFLAT that I am aware of is the CONFLAT B (BIRDS EYE AFP containers), which were converted from PIPE wagons.

Whether the CONFLAT B had this configuration of chain rings I am not at present in a position to check.

CJI.

On 18/02/2024 at 19:58, LNERGE said:

I’ve started hacking an Airfix meat van chassis about to produce another..

16E21210-23DB-4AA7-8FEB-D7C58A122C33.jpeg.9c04a1de7ea8d597d129e5d0d5190064.jpeg

The plan is to put an overlay on with the cut out hexagonal holes 

To overcome how thick the deck will look I propose to represent sides similar to a Lowfit. The problem is I can’t find a picture of one like that being used as a runner. I’m sure one of Ian Allen combined volumes had a vague shot of one at Ely but I can’t find the right one yet. 

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

To overcome how thick the deck will look I propose to represent sides similar to a Lowfit. The problem is I can’t find a picture of one like that being used as a runner. I’m sure one of Ian Allen combined volumes had a vague shot of one at Ely but I can’t find the right one yet. 

Why not attach some sandpaper to a flat block of wood with double-sided tape (carpet tape); invert the chasiss / floor on it; and sand away the floor?

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2024 at 19:24, cctransuk said:

The Tri-ang CONFLAT L is too short

And sits too high off the rails.  Not the best starting point for a work-up, perhaps

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, LNERGE said:

I think there was one in the Gateshead collection; have a look in DaveF's or Irish Swiss ERnie's collection.

On 19/02/2024 at 16:16, Trestrol said:

One of the Gateshead runners was a Lowfit.

We had a Lowfit as a runner  at BG too.  A couple of our apprentices fitted electric lighting to all the runners we had at BG, plus fitting the sockets on the 03s.

Al Taylor

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, 45125 said:

We had a Lowfit as a runner  at BG too.  A couple of our apprentices fitted electric lighting to all the runners we had at BG, plus fitting the sockets on the 03s.

Al Taylor

We're your runners on the front or the rear Al?

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

... the only 12ft. WB CONFLAT that I am aware of is the CONFLAT B (BIRDS EYE AFP containers), which were converted from PIPE wagons.

They were longer still and had eight-shoe brakes without axleguard ties ! .................................. it probably was that 'A' after all.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

They were longer still and had eight-shoe brakes without axleguard ties ! .................................. it probably was that 'A' after all.

Are you sure about the WB of the CONFLAT B?

I am sure that I built my models with Parkside 12' WB chassis and CONFLAT A bodies.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 45125 said:

On the rear.

Rear must be a NE standard,  a friend was telling me the Norwich locos had a socket on the front for runner lighting 

We were also discussing that 03 runners were probably the last use of BR oil headlamps 

12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Are you sure about the WB of the CONFLAT B?

NO ! ........ the dia 1/076 drawing in Don Rowland's BR Wagons book clearly shows a stretched Conflat A on a 12' wb as you describe - but those shown on https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/conflatbafp clearly show somewhat different longer vehicles ....................... yes, I'm confuzzed !

33 minutes ago, russ p said:

Rear must be a NE standard,  a friend was telling me the Norwich locos had a socket on the front for runner lighting 

We were also discussing that 03 runners were probably the last use of BR oil headlamps 

Our runners had some very nice LNER style headlamps, can't ever remember seeing them lit as the lamps on the 03s were always lit. The mod to fit the sockets for the jumper cable to the runner require a socket at both ends.

Al Taylor.

• Informative/Useful 1