Wiring vehicle lights advice please

ianlei

Hi, I have just bought an oxford diecast fire engine online that has been fitted with flashing lights. I saw the photos of it with the lights flashing, however when I tested it on arrival, the lights just stay on and don't flash. Any ideas why this is? I have attached a photo to show how it has been wired.

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Ian

20240217_192149.jpg

10 minutes ago, ianlei said:

Hi, I have just bought an oxford diecast fire engine online that has been fitted with flashing lights. I saw the photos of it with the lights flashing, however when I tested it on arrival, the lights just stay on and don't flash. Any ideas why this is? I have attached a photo to show how it has been wired.

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Ian

20240217_192149.jpg

Send it back.

CJI.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and help. I've never had anything like this before that's why I asked as I was hoping I was doing something silly and there was a simple solution.  Doesn't seem to be the case so I'm returning it. I will look into getting something like this again though, so that gaugemaster link will be very helpful!

Thanks again,  Ian

Are you 100% sure that you are using the same voltage/type as used in the demo ? I would check with the vendor first.

I'm not sure about the GM unit but I've used a lot of similar units from Busch & Viessmann. The flash rate of these can vary depending on the voltage (also, some are AC, some DC & some either).

Generally, the flash rate slows as the voltage drops to the point that the flash stops.

The units that are DC only like a smooth supply - not the sort of "rectified only" that comes out of traditional controllers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that load may affect the flash. I had a tardis type police box with a flashing light.  It worked fine, until other lights in the same circuit were also on. Then it stopped flashing to remain on constantly. This suggest to me that the voltage or power dropped under load, so presumably similar would happen if an incorrect power supply were used.

Ian

• Like 2