Brushless/Coreless Motors

Is it just the evil spirit in my train-room that makes things go wrong, the air turn blue and purple...and disappear(!)

Oxford N7 is now on its fourth motor!    They are absolutely useless and "not fit for the purpose".

Try running the models, so fitted, for an hour in each direction at slow to medium speed, for two hour periods, and see how long they last...it's either the motors or the Evil Spirit, it will have to be exorcised!

Mine have been fine with  DCC control, and I am an enthusiastic operator so my four are forever on the move on inner sub and branch services, and this has been the case for over four years on my first two purchases, one of which has been rebodied with an old whitemetal N7body, so even heavier than as supplied. Not found any problems yet...

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Quadrille said:

Is it just the evil spirit in my train-room that makes things go wrong, the air turn blue and purple...and disappear(!)

Oxford N7 is now on its fourth motor!    They are absolutely useless and "not fit for the purpose".

Try running the models, so fitted, for an hour in each direction at slow to medium speed, for two hour periods, and see how long they last...it's either the motors or the Evil Spirit, it will have to be exorcised!

It is more likely to be an unsuitable controller.

• Agree 2

Okay, I can appreciate the comments but... Having changed to the fourth core-less motor the loco' has run for about ten hours in both directions and virtually none-stop for an hour or so at a time in each direction.   

The big difference being that the first three were unventilated but the fourth motor has six holes at/around the drive-gear circumference end and two slightly larger diameter holes at the wired terminal end.

With regards to the type of controller used...this is the ESU ECoS 50210 (New).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2024 at 09:30, Quadrille said:

Okay, I can appreciate the comments but... Having changed to the fourth core-less motor the loco' has run for about ten hours in both directions and virtually none-stop for an hour or so at a time in each direction.   

The big difference being that the first three were unventilated but the fourth motor has six holes at/around the drive-gear circumference end and two slightly larger diameter holes at the wired terminal end.

With regards to the type of controller used...this is the ESU ECoS 50210 (New).

Ah, DCC is a different ball game, that does sound like poor design/manufacturing quality in terms of the original motor then.