Locomotive manuals and instructions

As my collection has grown over the past five years I'm in a quandry about how to keep the manuals and other paperwork that comes with a locomotive organized, but with quick access.

Currently the manuals are all stored in the boxes the locomotive came packed in. But sometimes I want the manual immediately without having to dig through the boxes that are upstairs in a storage room.

I am leery about separating the manuals from the boxes, but I thought a small special file box for keeping manuals organized might be what I need. I can keep this under the work bench for immediate access.

How are you all keeping your manuals organized?

• RMweb Premium

I keep mine in plastic envelopes in a lever arch file along with a page recording basic details about each loco - a photo, the running number, DCC address, etc. I've recently 'archived' all of the boxes for my stock, sealed in plastic bags in the roof of my garage, which has freed up a huge amount of space in the train room 😁

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Leave your paperwork where it is, in the boxes, Michael, and download the manuals from the manufacturers' websites as free PDFs, which is a service all of them offer TTBOMK.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

That would be an excellent solution, but I have removed the laptop from the train room due to real estate considerations on the table. A tablet might work, but I am still a fan of hard copy with pages.

When I want to work with the Loksound Programmer I have to bring the computer to the work table, but it doesn't stay.

• Like 1

I have the manuals, I don't need copies.

In fact, I found the solution.

I found some A5 top loading clear vinyl pouches that will fit a three ring binder. Problem solved.

Edited by MichaelE

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps not to everyone’s taste, for convenience I compiled folders entitled “Bachmann Sheets”, “Dapol Sheets”, “EFE Sheets” and “Hornby Sheets” containing the Service Sheets for my items which I can access on iPad and iPhone, the latter always being at hand. Hornby’s can be a bit “hit and miss”, as not every release seems to have a corresponding sheet, some seemingly being unavailable.