Florida

AMJ

I'm heading over the pond in May to Florida.

I have a list of heritage RR's to visit whilst in the state (got a copy of Trains with a list for each state) - got hire car and sat nav.

Is there an American equivalent to Real Time Trains?  I have done numerous web searches and have not found what I'm looking for.  The nearest thing was Google tracking Amtrack trains but like others I'd like to chase some freight and short lines.

@Mike_Walker yes I think that we have more computer savvy developers for some things in the UK.  We have Real Time Trains, Tracksy and even when looking up old lines National Library of Scotland maps

I don’t know how much time you’ll have, or what you’ve already thought about doing/seeing, but a drive down the Keys to Key West is (in my opinion) a great experience.

And large parts of the road are on the route of the former Florida East Coast Railway’s Key West Extension:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Railroad

• Agree 1

Truly 'heritage' lines will have a web site with a timetable of course.  Shortlines, industry-related lines won't be as precious as our 'private' railways can be and calls to the phone number on their websites using your best British accent may succeed in getting useful info.  You'll probably be lucky with local/yard offices of the larger railroads. 

I stopped off at a Providence and Worcester yard office on a business trip a few years ago and the pleasant guy I spoke to said they didn't do yard passes for enthusiasts, but since the yard office was some way from the entrance he would see me safely off the site - slow walk and some pics including some FB-2 trucks they'd acquired to replace an old U23B's AAR Type-Bs.

Then there was the small Conrail yard I stopped off at in Albany, NY confident they'd know where the D&H yard was, only to be asked "It's down thataway ... Are you from England?  Patrick'll wanna say hello, he's from Ireland."

Big smile and English accent, works for me.  Have a great time, pancakes with Maple Syrple for breakfast and Chicken Mole (Mexican) for lunch and OK, OK, I'll stop now.

Jason