Did I pay too much?

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Today at Redditch MRC show I purchased this "Bachmann Plus" model of a GE B23-7 locomotive in Missouri Pacific livery

bachmann11114.jpg.b7183027807bf8e1832263d383708556.jpg

It looks as if it has had little use as the wheel tires are pristine and the body is immaculate with no damage or wear.

It is also a good runner nice, smooth & quiet.

I know it's a pretty basic model and not up to today's standard but I paid just £30

Was that too much?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hi all

Today at Redditch MRC show I purchased this "Bachmann Plus" model of a GE B23-7 locomotive in Missouri Pacific livery

bachmann11114.jpg.b7183027807bf8e1832263d383708556.jpg

It looks as if it has had little use as the wheel tires are pristine and the body is immaculate with no damage or wear.

It is also a good runner nice, smooth & quiet.

I know it's a pretty basic model and not up to today's standard but I paid just £30

Was that too much?

There isn't much of a market in US HO in the UK, but you certainly didn't overpay. And, at least MoPac did actually have some B23-7s - 85 in fact. Often a cheaper US model will be made in numerous popular roadnames irrespective of prototype, but not so here. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

at least MoPac did actually have some B23-7s - 85 in fact.

Second largest US purchase.

I've been hoovering up some US stuff at decent prices.

This came from a stand that only had this one US item.

Another had a 4-8-4 + 52'  tender for £50, again little other US stuff. (I didn't bite!)

• Like 2

It's £50 for a new Hornby 0.4.0., so I know what I would spend my money on, and get a couple of reefers with the change!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi @melmerby, I agree with the others who’ve already responded - £30 for a quiet running loco in almost new condition seems reasonable to me in today’s market.  

Bachmann Plus aren’t super-detailed models (compared to some other US brands), as you acknowledge in the opening post, but this should give many hours of enjoyment.  In other words: good value.  The key thing I always look at are the couplers - as long as a loco doesn’t have the old horn hook couplers fitted, I’ll take a closer look, Keith.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi @melmerby, I agree with the others who’ve already responded - £30 for a quiet running loco in almost new condition seems reasonable to me in today’s market.  

Bachmann Plus aren’t super-detailed models (compared to some other US brands), as you acknowledge in the opening post, but this should give many hours of enjoyment.  In other words: good value.  The key thing I always look at are the couplers - as long as a loco doesn’t have the old horn hook couplers fitted, I’ll take a closer look, Keith.

It's got EZs and it's a solid chassis, unlike the Dash-8 which was split (but easy to convert)

There even looks like enough clearance to get a decoder in (about 5mm above the chassis block) without removing metal, there's a basic light board with filaments and that'll make way for one with LEDs and resistors as well as the decoder.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That's a good deal. I've bought one of those in the past & I couldn't get one for under £45 in as good a condition as the example you picked up! 

If you're inclined give it a service & clean & it'll run nicely as a nice little switching/short train loco. 

Yeah that's a good deal.

To put it in perspective - I paid £10 at a show for a Bachmann branch line 16T mineral wagon - second hand.

From the same stall I got a Proto 2000 56' mill gondola with Kadee couplers and metal wheels for... £6.

Sometimes you get lucky and find US outline stuff being sold cheap due to a lack of interest from the general public.

Sometimes you find awful quality US locos at the price of a new UK loco because the seller has no idea what they are selling so price it equivalent of UK stuff.

You definitely got a bargain with that one.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More on this

I ended up fitting a TCS MP3 decoder (from my spares box) in the space under the top chassis above a flywheel.

I also made a new 'PCB' with the resistors and warm white LEDs front and rear.

£30 plus a bit of a service and updating and I've got another decent, cheap, loco.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

That would be a later version of the engine.  The B23-7's were delivered in the 2200-2300 series and then renumbered into 4600 series to make room for additional GP38-2's.  They were used on locals and through freights.  The steps make them less desirable as switchers (compared to the GP38 and GP15 engines) although the MP used just about every 4 axle as a switcher at one time or another.  A lot of them ended up on rock hauling jobs in South Texas.  Later they were renumbered into the 100-200 series numbers and some ended their careers as radio control brake dummies (no engine, just housed radio control apparatus.

• Informative/Useful 1