Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

GWR coaches website

• RMweb Premium

I get the same, or, if I go to the same URL but with https at the front, a message saying “it works!”. It has been like that, intermittently, for a while. Hopefully it gets fixed, as the site is the most wonderful resource.

Nick.

• RMweb Premium

This may be browser-dependent. I have just tried using Chrome, and it works. in Safari, it still fails, as described above. I am on a Mac, with latest versions of the browsers and operating system.

On my iPad, it fails in both Safari and Chrome. I suspect some kind of security issue, such as the certificate, which different browsers are more or less fussy about.

2 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Try again, but use https, as http is the old address

See my post above - it still fails, although differently.

Nick.

13 minutes ago, magmouse said:

This may be browser-dependent. I have just tried using Chrome, and it works. in Safari, it still fails, as described above. I am on a Mac, with latest versions of the browsers and operating system.

On my iPad, it fails in both Safari and Chrome. I suspect some kind of security issue, such as the certificate, which different browsers are more or less fussy about.

See my post above - it still fails, although differently.

Nick.

Since I updated the address, it's been faultless, I did it when the layout was separated from the coaches

Indeed, it seems that the inclusion of 'www' will not work.

I think the browsers have perhaps not got their act together at the moment, and maybe we are entering an era where the inclusion of 'www' will be deprecated.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, magmouse said:

I think I have solved it - as well as using "https://" (secure address - note the 's') you also need to not have "www", so:

https://gwrcoaches.org.uk

Nick.

You're right, I hadn't noticed the lack of www! My apologies

• RMweb Premium

I realised that my problem was caused by having incorrect URLs in the browser history, which the browser would then use as the basis to auto-complete the URL I was typing. It seems some browsers with auto-correct the URL to what it thinks is right, even if you have specifically typed something else - another one of those behaviour which is mostly very handy, but occasionally trips you up.

I have now deleted all the incorrect entries on my browser histories, so normal service is restored!

5 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I think the browsers have perhaps not got their act together at the moment, and maybe we are entering an era where the inclusion of 'www' will be deprecated.

I don't think it is the browsers as such - URLs with and without the "www" point to different places and will result in the browser fetching different content, as we have just seen. However, in many cases there is some 'behind the scenes' work by the hosting provider so that "www.mysite.com" and "mysite.com" point to the same thing. As you say, the distinction of with and without "www" is getting blurred, and will possibly go away in the end.

Nick.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

You're right, I hadn't noticed the lack of www! My apologies

No problem - if it's possible, it might be worth getting the URL with the www pointed at the site. At the moment, it points to a minimal page that just says "It works!". Then people like me who have polluted their browser history with erroneous URLs would still find your amazing resource.

Nick.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, magmouse said:

I don't think it is the browsers as such - URLs with and without the "www" point to different places and will result in the browser fetching different content, as we have just seen. However, in many cases there is some 'behind the scenes' work by the hosting provider so that "www.mysite.com" and "mysite.com" point to the same thing. As you say, the distinction of with and without "www" is getting blurred, and will possibly go away in the end.

Indeed it is not the browser's fault. The www subdomain should really have a redirect on it to the TLD to help out where people don't realise that some sites are now abandoning older conventions. 

• Like 1

On 08/03/2024 at 17:51, 57xx said:

Indeed it is not the browser's fault. The www subdomain should really have a redirect on it to the TLD to help out where people don't realise that some sites are now abandoning older conventions. 

Do I need to ask my host company (namesco) to tell me how to redirect the www subdomain to the TLD?  Or is it really easy?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Do I need to ask my host company (namesco) to tell me how to redirect the www subdomain to the TLD?  Or is it really easy?

How easy it is probably depends on the hosting company’s system. I would suggest having a look at the available settings and seeing if it is obvious (or there is an article in the support documentation). Otherwise, raise a help ticket. Hopefully it is straightforward, as it is a common thing to want to do.

Nick.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Penrhos1920 said:

If you are able to add a page to the www address, then there is quite a simple way:

https://blog.hubspot.com/website/html-redirect

There are other methods that I cannot remember now, it's been a long while since I did any hosting, hopefully someone more up to date with things will come along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1