TCS Decoder Problem

GWR Man

I wonder if anybody has any suggestions to overcome a problem I having with a TCS DP2-UK DECODER . The loco runs on address 03 with not problems but when I programme the decoder with a new address it is accepted and shows this new address when I read back the CV that I have programmed into the decoder ,but when I attempt to run the loco on DCC it will only run on address 03. The loco will run on DC OK with and without the decoder many thanks GWR Man

Hi,

Isn't there also a setting to define which address (long or short) is active? Sorry I'm at work so I can't check, but when programming using my NCE PowerCab, you change the address, and then it asks whether to set that address 'active'.

Hi,

Isn't there also a setting to define which address (long or short) is active? Sorry I'm at work so I can't check, but when programming using my NCE PowerCab, you change the address, and then it asks whether to set that address 'active'.

cheers GWR

Malcolmy thanks for the idea will try it out tonight ,don't hold out much hope as I have not had to do this for the other DP2X -UK that I have installed Regards GWR Man

cheers GWR

Malcolmy thanks for the idea will try it out tonight ,don't hold out much hope as I have not had to do this for the other DP2X -UK that I have installed Regards GWR Man

First reset the decoder by putting a value of 2 into CV8, then try programming the decoder.

• RMweb Gold

Are you using a short (2-digit) or long (4-digit) address? If the latter then the long address is stored in CV17+CV18, CV1 is set to 3 and bit 5 of CV29 is set to 1. If you're setting CV17+CV18, but not setting CV29 bit 5 to 1, then this could be the problem as the loco will then respond to CV1.

I use Lenz LH100 to set addresses on the programming track and it will set all the above CVs correctly using the direct addressing (ADR) function automatically if I select a long address. I did once have a problem with a loco that was running in the wrong direction so subsequently set CV29=1 to correct this. Of course this zeroed out bit 5 so the loco reverted to address 3 until the penny dropped!

Another thought - are you programming the address with the same DCC system that you are attempting to run the loco on? Some more basic DCC systems may not support long addresses.

First reset the decoder by putting a value of 2 into CV8, then try programming the decoder.

Thanks John and RFS reset as suggested and then changed CV29 BIT 5 TO I then repogrammed the Loco and it worked first time problem solved !!!! again many thanks for your help

Are you using a short (2-digit) or long (4-digit) address? If the latter then the long address is stored in CV17+CV18, CV1 is set to 3 and bit 5 of CV29 is set to 1. If you're setting CV17+CV18, but not setting CV29 bit 5 to 1, then this could be the problem as the loco will then respond to CV1.

I use Lenz LH100 to set addresses on the programming track and it will set all the above CVs correctly using the direct addressing (ADR) function automatically if I select a long address. I did once have a problem with a loco that was running in the wrong direction so subsequently set CV29=1 to correct this. Of course this zeroed out bit 5 so the loco reverted to address 3 until the penny dropped!

Another thought - are you programming the address with the same DCC system that you are attempting to run the loco on? Some more basic DCC systems may not support long addresses.

Hi RFS Many thanks after reprogramming CV8 as suggested by John at Bromsgrove,reset bit 5 of CV29 TO 1 as you suggested lo and behold Loco worked first time again many thanks GWR Man

Archived