Airfix/Hornby B set

I've just dug out my Hornby B set and done a close-coupling conversion using a Kean KK unit at each end with Kent magnet couplings in the NEM boxes. I've read that the prototype were close-coupled with short buffers, with long buffers at the brake ends. Does anyone have any idea what the right buffers would be for the brake van ends?

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

I've just dug out my Hornby B set and done a close-coupling conversion using a Kean KK unit at each end with Kent magnet couplings in the NEM boxes. I've read that the prototype were close-coupled with short buffers, with long buffers at the brake ends. Does anyone have any idea what the right buffers would be for the brake van ends?

I've read that MJT LNER short buffers will do the trick but I haven't tried it yet.

Another good mod is to cut away the curved headstocks and replace them either with headstocks from an old wagon kit or plain styrene sheet.

Edited by St Enodoc
speling

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, roythebus1 said:

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. Not sure about cutting the headstocks off though. there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about those coaches on here.

Two cuts with a razor saw. One vertical, at the end of the solebars and the other horizontal, at the level of the top of the solebars.

These two photos were taken for other reasons but they show what I mean.

Before:

20181110003Airfixcouplingspigot.JPG.da29c3cc5d1a92375d8a0173519e115d.JPG

After

20181110007closecouplingscompleted.JPG.fb4d2210059b3ee037d6d43a7fa1a8df.JPG

Ignore the fragments of vacuum pipe which I added then copped off because they fouled each other.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by St Enodoc
added photos

Ha, from what I read elsewhere, can't remember where, they had short buffers and short coupling between coaches and longer buffers at the outer ends. So far I've not touched the buffer beams or buffers. The close coupling units with Kent magnet couplers mean I can get 1mm gap when pulling and they will go through a rather nasty reverse curve on my layout without buffer locking when being pushed.

• Agree 1

Helpfully Rails of Sheffield show the engineering samples of the new Rapido B set, the buffer beams are flat, not curved at both ends. Large round head on the outer ends is the answer, I forgot to see if they are the square shank type!! But at Rapido's prices, Ill stick with the Airfix/Hornby at £20 the pair, my pension won't stretch to any new stock.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

That's what I would assume, but then the outer buffer beams would have to be modified as they are rounded.

Yes, do both ends. It makes the ends look so much better.

• Agree 1

Thanks, that's what I'll get on and do. I've got some rectangle shank buffers in stock from Phoenix Models last week. I've also got a fe various Siphons to do/finish and a Lima GYC to finish, flush glazed many years ago, decent bogies and ABS buffers, now with Keen KK and Kadees. I may just get round to finishing the roundy roundy bit of the layout to run them on!

• Like 1

Very helpful, thanks. I'm going to do the buffer beams but not bother too much about the rest of the underframe, it looks like too much work. Interesting that the short buffer heads are 18" diameter.

• Like 1