Is there a GWR station building for sale that closely mimics ones on the North Warwickshire line.

Hi,

I am modelling a GWR railway line and need a station that isn't a branch line station or a huge terminal one either. I'm not really comfortable with scratch building but I can't find anything for sale (kit or pre-built) that fits the bill. I was wondering whether anyone knew of one for sale? The stations on the North Warwickshire line are very close to what I want, with the canopy enveloping the building which gives the opportunity for an island building, which is also something I'd like.

Thanks for your help.

• RMweb Gold

I did think the same as you, that scratchbuilding was beyond me. I tried some scalescenes kits and then it was a natural step to create my own "kits" using scalescenes materials.  The freedom it gives you to design exactly what you want is immeasurable.  Try it and see how it goes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

North Warwickshire station buildings would probably be brick-built structures except for those on the northern Cotswolds which might well be Cotswold Stone (limestone).  Railway building material was usually sourced locally because of the cost of transporting it, so local stone if it was suitable or brick if it wasn’t.  Alternatively, if funds were tight, wood might be used even at large stations, usually with the original intention of it being temporary pending replacement which sometimes took a while; Oxford for example from the 1840s until rebuilding in the 1960s.  

Wood might give you a bit more scope for kitbashing; the station building on my layout Cwmdimbath, set in the South Wales valleys and based loosely on Abergwynfi, is a cut’n’shut of two Hornby resin RTP North Eastern plank-built waiting rooms with a scratchbuilt canopy.  That sounds a lot more clever than it actually is, which is a sheet of plasticard cut to the length of the building and the width from back wall to platform edge, which takes the sloping angle of the roof of the original Hornby buildings, since it is glued directly on top of them, with Ratio decorative bargeboard edging and chimneys in suitable places, pretty simple really.  Even The Johnster can do it…

Oxford Rail introduced a series of RTP resin GW brick buildings a few years ago which I think are now marketed by Hornby, which includes a brick station building which might be suitable for your purposes.  As might the ancient Dapol Kitmaster (originally Airfix) station building, also brick.  

Edited by The Johnster