6PAN/6PUL liverys

simon b

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

I quite fancy kitbashing a pair of 6PAN/PUL motor cars, the plan being to eventually create a late 60's 6COR. Now I've seen pictures of these units in green with a small yellow warning panel, but did any of them go "Full Custard" and gain a full yellow front?

BR blue would be a step too far, but I'd like to model them in final reformed condition prior to withdrawal in 1968.

image010.jpg.7a130d21852e48639f3b5709e9fcf8ac.jpg

• Like 1

Two units got blue and full yellow ends: 3042 and 3045 in 1967 when on the Southeastern. There is a picture and details in David Brown's Southern Electric Vol2. Don't think any green units got full yellow. 

• Informative/Useful 2

The 6-COR units concerned 3041-3050 only ever worked regularly on the South Eastern Division and then only on peak hour services during the 1967 summer timetable period. After that they were only used spasmodically including on the Central Division (and just possibly on race trains on the South Western Division). I strongly suspect that, given that they were effectively electric versions of the "long sets", their livery mostly never progressed beyond the green/small yellow patch stage and they were all out of service by the autumn of 1968. Certainly the couple I saw were in that livery, however I believe a couple may have acquired blue with yellow ends.

Note that, as built, they marginally fouled the SED loading gauge and it was found necessary to remove the roof board brackets from all the vehicles to comply.

Edited by bécasse
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the info gents, very helpful.

I was joking earlier about br blue being a step too far,  I had not expected that 2 of them had actually been repainted into it! Now that I know such a thing existed it has to be one of those. Looking through the details on the blood and custard site, I think it's going to be unit 3042. That was made up from ex PUL motor cars with the lower height windows, which will be a slightly easier job to kitbash out of the parts available.

A PAN motor car like in 3045 would be more expensive to do in order to get enough high windows.

I won't be going for 100% accuracy as that is a bit beyond my skills, but a cut and shut of Ian kirk parts should get something that looks close enough.

I've often eyed-up Kirk kits of all 3rds and thought one could make a passable Triang-esk PUL motor coach out of them. You can get cab ends from Silver Fox on ebay. 🤔

Edited by number6
Spellin'
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, number6 said:

I've often eyed-up Kirk kits of all 3rds and thought one could make a passable Triang-esk PUL motor coach out of them. You can get cab ends from Silver Fox on ebay. 🤔

That is pretty much what I plan to do to create the PUL. I managed to get hold of a few open third and brake third kits on the cheap, so hopefully they can be cut and shut into something passable. Use the window sections from the open coach with the doors from the brake coach, silver fox cab on the front. Then sit the lot on a Hornby 2bil chassis with the trussing removed.

I thought in might be possible to bash a PAN using a Maunsell dining saloon, or sections from a 5BEL.

• RMweb Gold

Ordered some Hornby 5BEL motorized chassis, they will need to be shortened and widened slightly but are a close match for the PUL motor cars.

• RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2024 at 10:04, number6 said:

Two units got blue and full yellow ends: 3042 and 3045 in 1967 when on the Southeastern. There is a picture and details in David Brown's Southern Electric Vol2. Don't think any green units got full yellow. 

Thanks for the info, you wouldn't happen to know how far around the sides of the cab the yellow was? I'm guessing the cab door was blue, but the cabside itself was yellow?

6-COR_3045_ClaphamJct

4-Cor_3135_BroadStreet_LCGB_8-11-70

Looks to be about the same as BILs and CORs in blue - it ends with a narrow strip of blue before the door. These photos from Robert Carroll's collection on Flickr. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, number6 said:

6-COR_3045_ClaphamJct

4-Cor_3135_BroadStreet_LCGB_8-11-70

Looks to be about the same as BILs and CORs in blue - it ends with a narrow strip of blue before the door. These photos from Robert Carroll's collection on Flickr. 

Thank you for posting those pics, several internet searches for pics of the blue units were not bearing any fruit. At least the masking job will be simple to do, the side of the cab has no raised detail where the join is. I'm nearly ready to make a start on the motor cars, the kirk maunsell coach kits and sliver fox Pul cabs are here. I'm Just waiting for the Hornby 5BEL chassis and bogies to arrive, which I think will need some surgery to shorten a little.

20240317_210103.jpg.db5b33a975396ee5f27dda6ab485c5b4.jpg

Edited by simon b
  • Like 2