Easy garage upgrades to accommodate a layout

• RMweb Gold

Assuming that the interior of the garage is dry, a degree of cheap insulation can be achieved by lining the walls and ceiling with egg cartons.  If card ones are used sealing them with diluted pva might be advisable.  Probably best to buy the larger catering cartons, presumably available online or through catering suppliers, or you're gonna have to eat a lot of eggs...

I would contend that it is best to provide blackout curtains to any railway space that has windows, in order to be able to control the layout lighting without interference from daylight or street/traffic lighting.

20 hours ago, doilum said:

A tip from the days before upvc  doors and central heating: a heavy curtain will take care of any droughts around the door frame

Interesting. So you installed a curtain pole above the main door frame and hung the curtains as normal?

My dear old lady next door (now deceased) changed some curtains, and donated them to me, complete with linings. I installed a curtain rod above the doors and hung them on that. They really do stop draughts. I'm not bothered that they are second hand, in a place where they can get grubby; they can be easily taken down and washed if required.

15 hours ago, Olive_Green1923 said:

Interesting. So you installed a curtain pole above the main door frame and hung the curtains as normal?

To be honest I haven’t had to do this as I was able to create a self contained modelling workshop at the far end of the garage, but in winter we hang curtains across a set of less than perfect french doors in the dining room.

As a child I recall that most of my older relatives had these heavy drapes. Perhaps something to do with living in a mining area where few doorways were true or square. The ones in our dining room use a telescopic pole that doesn’t require fixing, but an ordinary curtain pole would do just as well. Charity shops might produce pole and curtain at minimal cost.

• Thanks 1