Bowater China Clay Slurry Tanks.

Hi All,

I am looking to change the buffers on my rake of Triang Hornby R668 models. Any suggestions please as to which ones would be the closest option (or better still an exact match).

The best reference point is Paul Bartlett's collection where you can find some good shots of them in STS livery. I haven't attached any as I'm still awaiting Paul's permission before I post them openly on this thread.

Paul.

68640020-79C1-4156-9330-3836248C9282.jpeg

DSCF6318.JPG

DSCF9204.JPG

DSCF9299.JPG

• Like 2

Diagram TT039B states buffer length of 520mm, head diameter of 406mm. That's 1 ft 8.5 in long and 16 in heads. The photos show them to be oleo buffers so in 4mm I would use Lanarkshire Models BP03 (these are not sprung).

Even though the diagram image looks nothing like the actual wagon all the build details, registration nos. etc. match up.

Edited by Flood

The Barrowmore Model Railway Group site will have it in their drawings section.

I have seen a rake of these transformed with scratchbuilt underframes, etched ladders/walkways etc, the transition from 1970s RTR to an accurate model was impressive but obviously time consuming.

BeRTIe

IMG_8022.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul_C said:

These are the slurry tanks that I refer to. 

STS53113 TTA-(ZF-5718-44014-1-001).jpg

STS53118-(ZF-5718-44014-1-003).jpg

STS53124 TTA-(ZF-5718-44014-1-005).jpg

The diagram TT039B is the correct one - but it does not have the correct drawing!

CJI.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The diagram TT039B is the correct one - but it does not have the correct drawing!

CJI.

Ah the joys of modelling the BR period. Although the officials don't often get it quite as wrong as that!

It looks like they woke up to the mistake. In http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book300Part3Dugdale01_Issue.pdf there is TT071A for the IIRC unique 53129 and they don't have running numbers on TT071B but looks like it is for most of these wagons. 

Paul

These are the Accurascale ones suggested to me. I can't check out how they look against the Lanarkshire Models version as for some reason I am blocked from entering their website. I've put their name into the browser but when I search it comes up as Error 404 and blocks my inquiry.

Paul. 

ACC2013_700x700.webp

The Accurascale ones are sprung (which may well be your preference) and pack OP12 which you have shown look to be 1'8.5" in length (as stated for your wagons). For your information, pack OP2 look to be the same diameter head but 2'1/2" in length.

I don't know whether these links will work for you:

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_159.htm

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite159001.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Flood, 

Thank you kindly for the reply. I've managed to click onto your second link which shows a photo of a buffer that looks to be brass. That looks spot on I must say. Are these BP03?

Paul. 

34 minutes ago, Paul_C said:

Hi Flood, 

Thank you kindly for the reply. I've managed to click onto your second link which shows a photo of a buffer that looks to be brass. That looks spot on I must say. Are these BP03?

Paul. 

I think that the brass appearance is just the lighting - I'm pretty sure that the product is cast whitemetal.

CJI.

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought eighteen packs of BP03 and four packs of BP08, the latter will go on the two 1971 additions. I now have to delve into the minefield of couplings as it would be nice if I can use a three link system for another piece of reality.

Paul.  

• RMweb Gold

The other option for improving the buffers on these (along with improving the rest of the underframe) is to mount the old Triang tanks onto a Bachmann TTA chassis.  It is many years since I did the conversion (and ive since sold them on), but from memory once you cut off the Triang fixing clips it was pretty much a direct fit glued onto the Bachmann chassis.