N gauge Fleischmann coupling replacement

I have dipped my toes into the world of N gauge after many years of 4mm scale modelling. All my N gauge stock seems to be fitted with Rapido couplings. This has not been a problem up to now with fixed rakes of stock. I recently bought a Fleischmann shunting locomotive and now I want to shunt wagons in a yard. 

The Fleischmann Profi coupling might be a expensive but possibly easy alternative coupling. I am not sure how the current Rapido couplings are removed. I would suppose it is a simple case of pulling out the old and clipping in the new?

I have heard of the Dapol couplers. I assume I would need to do some surgery to fit a NEM coupling box?

Any helpful advice and suggestions are welcomed.

Nigel

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, the Goblin said:

I would suppose it is a simple case of pulling out the old and clipping in the new?

If the coupling is to the NEM standard then yes, you should be able to pull out the old coupling and fit the new one (Farish, Dapol, Fleischmann or West Hill Wagon Works).

There are still a few models available that don't have NEM pockets. You'll also find that the newer Peco wagons have NEM type pockets but the sockets aren't compatible (the actual coupling heads are fine). Some of the earlier batches of Farish Mk1s has sockets that were a little narrow.

There are also a few issues around coupling heights - within a particular manufacturer's range you shouldn't have any problems. However, some combinations don't quite work - Dapol Mk3 to a Farish class 90 for example.

Dapols working and dummy buck-eye couplings should fit in Farish's sockets - I've got Farish Mk2F coupled to Dapol Mk3 using the working on.

Steven B

On 14/03/2024 at 23:39, the Goblin said:

I have heard of the Dapol couplers. I assume I would need to do some surgery to fit a NEM coupling box?

If there isn't room to fit a NEM socket (on old stock with T-shank rapidos) you can do some surgery on a Dapol coupler.

52477828127_76fa7ece77_c.jpg

Fitting Dapol couplers to Arnold 2923 railcar by Jim Easterbrook, on Flickr

Thank you Steven and Jim.

Looking closely I am pretty sure the Fleichmann loco does not have a NEM pocket. I am reluctant to tug on the coupling too hard to see what it looks like. It looks like the coupling should just pull out and may have a forked end to clip over the vertical pin - the Profis coupling has a end like this. Will it pull out?

I have added a photo of the existing Fleichmann rapido next to a NEM pocket with a rapido. The sizes of the two boxes are similar but the vertical pin is in a different place. To open up the coupling box looks like in need to take the bogies off to release the two halves of the box.

Jim's suggestion might work in gluing the Dapol coupling head to the body mounted end of the existing coupling. Can I get a spare in case of a mistake or to make this modification reversible?

Maybe NEM box fitting is not for me? I may try uncoupling the existing Rapido couplings with a stick, see how I get on with that for a bit.

Thank you All.

Nigel

20240317_150352.jpg

Various Fleischmann couplings are shown here: https://www.fleischmann.de/fen/products/coaches-and-wagons/exchange-couplings.html?verfuegbarkeit_status=41%2C42%2C43%2C45%2C44&spur=296

The standard couplings 9521 and 9522 don't appear to have quite the same fitting clip as on your model. Have you tried to unclip the cover on the underside to see what lies within?

• Like 1

Thank you D9020 and Jim. Yes, I think the model is a few years old. I managed to locate the instructions online for the model - extract attached. These seem to show a 9521 coupling. Also, I can now see how to access the coupling pocket. I will need to be careful unscrewing in case a small spring pops out from behind the coupling I guess. A bit closer to a solution now.

Nigel

Coupling Snip.JPG

• Like 1