Architectural drawings/plans

Does anyone know a resource for drawings/plans of railway stations?  I'm planning to build a station in OO scale, based on the modern station at Newton-le-Willows, near St Helens. I have photos etc, but can't find any plans

• RMweb Gold

There is no single resource for that. You have to dig around and see whats available. To be honest, for a modenr station, the easiest thing is to go there ane measure it up. You can alslo generally estimate dimensions good enough for our purposes from photographs. you can get a reasonable idea of the overall footprint by measuring on google earth.

Bearing in mind how recent Newton station is, I would start by looking at the local authority planning permission website and see if plans were submitted for that (do railways need to get planning permission for station rebuilds?) or try and track down to contractor or designer?

The plans for the interchange (the car park and bus stands at the front) are on the St Helens Borough planning pages, but either the plans for the building are not there or they aren't called anything obvious like 'building elevations'. There are 138 documents attached to the application and I'm on a cheap phone so I didn't try to open all of them.

The building is on the station side of the boundary between Northern's station lease (from Network Rail) and the Mersey Travel Interchange set out in thd application I found so there might be a separate application somewhere. 

Certainly typing 'Interchange' and 'railway station' into the keywords box is not working. The drawings for the platform extentions are on another application though !

https://publicaccess.sthelens.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=ZZZYAPPETA474&activeTab=summary

On 15/03/2024 at 22:48, Jabee said:

Does anyone know a resource for drawings/plans of railway stations?  I'm planning to build a station in OO scale, based on the modern station at Newton-le-Willows, near St Helens. I have photos etc, but can't find any plans

You could try contacting the TOC, although I think nowadays they are much more cautious about providing plans of public places or transport facilities for obvious reasons. For the same reason I think you generally will not find plans of railway stations uploaded to planning portals, but sometimes the footprint of the buildings may appear in block plans for neighbouring properties so it's worth doing a search for any properties nearby just in case.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

1st PDF won't open for me but the others will.

Perhaps a note to the planners might elicit a response and check.

Regards

Ian

Edited by Ian Smeeton
Sp

21 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

1st PDF won't open for me but the others will.

Perhaps a note to the planners might elicit a response and check.

Regards

Ian

Those drawings only show the extension of the platforms, and contain nothing appertaining to the new station buildings, as sought.

Edited by Nick Holliday
Spelling

• RMweb Gold

Memory is now getting hazy after being retired now for 16 years but IIRC from my days working, which for a while included a planning office support team role, railway operators are exempt from much of the planning regulations. If so will be why they aren’t showing up on the Local Auth’s online applications portal. I think they have to ask for observations but not actually get formal consent. Hopefully a current planning officer give the current position.

• RMweb Premium

The honest answer is that unlike locomotive drawings those of buildings are very difficult to come by. I have spent months looking for drawings to end up just drawing them from basic measurments and lots of drawings. 

If a building has been altered and it is no longer in railway use you may find a plan from the council planning department, its surprising what is there. 

Good luck

• Agree 1