guild summer show moved?

sir douglas

sorry if this isnt the right place to put this

i have just looked at the guild website to see the dates of the summer show to find that it has been moved down south, it was the only O gauge show near enough for me to get to and isnt there already quite a few o gauge shows down south? Now northern england doesnt have any shows

is there anybody here also in the Guild forum? (i'm not a member) has it already been discussed over there and if management has given any reply as to why it moved so far?

Edited by sir douglas
  • Agree 1

Hi anonymous ex major influencer on the GoG forum. 

Yes extensively discussed. The north (Wigan) is getting a winter show. There has been a demand for a southern show - hardly surprising as that is where the money is - but there is already a O gauge winter show by others - in Guildford - so avoiding this meant Kempton being in the summer. 

There is a great O gauge show in the autumn at Sunderland Nissan plant 28 - 29 September. I'm completely independent of that, but the only O gauge show I'm planning to go to this year. Wigan in winter, no thanks. Miserable journey from York.

Yes, it was not a change taken without much anxiety on the forum. But you would know that if you had stayed. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

I always went to the G0G Summer shows (not just to escape the TT) and the really irksome bit was that the Barnsley show lost the least money of all the G0G shows.  IMO the South was already well catered for and the North lost out.  I sincerely hope the Wigan show in December is a success but, a couple of weeks before Christmas and close to the well established NEC and Manchester shows, I have my doubts. Whichever way I won't be going .... 4hrs on the Irish Sea in mid-winter - forget it!

Ray.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

I always went to the G0G Summer shows (not just to escape the TT) and the really irksome bit was that the Barnsley show lost the least money of all the G0G shows.  IMO the South was already well catered for and the North lost out.  I sincerely hope the Wigan show in December is a success but, a couple of weeks before Christmas and close to the well established NEC and Manchester shows, I have my doubts. Whichever way I won't be going .... 4hrs on the Irish Sea in mid-winter - forget it!

Ray.

The NEC show this year will be Warners led so a new show but in the old Warley slot, I would imagine Manchester is not a threat to a dedicated O gauge show.  The killer for me would be the location, it is planned to use the sports centre like the old Wigan multiscale show, that can have parking issues especially if there is a home sporting fixture the same weekend and it's a trek from the station.  The location may be more an issue than other neighbouring shows.

But the show space at Wigan is good and they are using two halls, you'll get a lot of O gauge into that space.

Edited by woodenhead

For the record, the Barnsley venue wasn’t available for the required date this year. The rest is Guild politics. A pity as the venue was more than adequate and would have grown once people got to see that the town has moved on since the strike......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, doilum said:

For the record, the Barnsley venue wasn’t available for the required date this year. The rest is Guild politics. A pity as the venue was more than adequate and would have grown once people got to see that the town has moved on since the strike......

I completely agree with your second sentence - the Barnsley venue wasn't given a chance.  On the first, however, I'm not so sure.  I asked Jackie the question directly and I'm pretty certain that the reply was that the venue was available for June but not December due to prior bookings. I don't think the Guild made this quite as clear as it could have done for some reason ......

Ray.

5 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

I completely agree with your second sentence - the Barnsley venue wasn't given a chance.  On the first, however, I'm not so sure.  I asked Jackie the question directly and I'm pretty certain that the reply was that the venue was available for June but not December due to prior bookings. I don't think the Guild made this quite as clear as it could have done for some reason ......

Ray.

It might have been the setting up day that wasn’t available. Wouldn’t argue with Jackie but my source is very close to the events team! A pity as I have either helped or exhibited at every summer show since the Halifax days.

As someone who lives in Sussex I would question the comment that "the south was well catered for".

Is Kettering in the south? As for those out west ....

We're talking Guild shows here, not others.

Terry

14 hours ago, TJ52 said:

As someone who lives in Sussex I would question the comment that "the south was well catered for".

Is Kettering in the south? As for those out west ....

We're talking Guild shows here, not others.

Terry

Terry

Agreed, but the loss of summer show in the north Midlands because of the Guild trying not to offend/clash with Guildford is seen by some of us as disproportionate, ignoring the potential for poor weather in the winter. The problem with the Guild shows has been historically they had three, all within 100 miles of one another but ignored the South West (used to be served by what I am informed was a good winter time show in Bristol but the venue closed), the true north of our islands or the highly populated South East. Kempton is seen as a viable, affordable and filling of possibly the most important hole in their exhibition geographic profile, but it came at a cost. 

Personally I got into 7mm after visiting a GoG event in Milton Keynes, to me a useful alternative to Kettering and better positioned than Telford or Stafford. But affordability of venue has become a major driver in choice of locations - as well as availability. And my understanding of Barnsley was that it was available in the summer but becomes very busy in autumn and winter. By the way, it was a good venue and an interesting town. I thought Stafford was a horrible venue, although it would lend itself to having an exhibition and not just a trade show with a few layouts. 

We were informed that nothing could be found in Preston, which has a strong O gauge following, is further north and more accessible by public transport than Wigan. 

Paul 

• Like 1

I accept what you say. Unfortunately trumping the long standing Guildford show was not seen as a good look for the Guild. I hope for those affected in the North a better solution can be found.

Terry

As Paul has already mentioned there is an alternative O Gauge show in the North East - NEOG (North East O Gauge).

Located at the Nissan Sports & Social Club on the 28th & 29th September 2024.

Layouts

1) Ladeside Diesel Depot – BR(SC) 1960s

2) Templegate Wagon Works – BR 1970s

3) Ulverton – BR(SC) 1970/80’s

4) Bankgate Sidings – LNER 1940s

5) Falcon Road – BR(E) 1960s

6) High Grange – BR(NE) 1950/60s

7) Selby Bridge – LNER 1920/30’s

8) Aston – GWR

9) Invermire – BR(SC) 1980s

10) Falstone – LNER 1920’s

11) Donegal – Irish Narrow Gauge

12) Dalnottar Riverside – BR(SC) 1970/80s

13) Test Track

Demonstrations

1) Dave Dunn - Railway Photographic Slide Show

2) Garry Lane – Wagon Building

3) Andrew Proctor - Weathering

4) Lee Edmondson – DCC fitting

5) Paul Moore – Painting & Lining

6) Gauge O Guild & Soldering Demo

Traders

1) Northumbrian Painting Services

2) Squires Tools

3) Durham trains of Stanley

4) Connoisseur Models

5) GM Transport Books

6) Durham Locomotive Preservation Group

7) Skytrex

8) Greenwood & Duncan Models

9) White Rose Baseboards

10) 1039 Models

11) PRMRP

12) Trainsporters

13) Ian Kirk

2024Posterfront-2.jpg.b691f1d8205d54b14226f89d5a5bb089.jpg

2024PosterBack(1).jpg.f21af1772424add181ded845732be487.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, North Eastern said:

As Paul has already mentioned there is an alternative O Gauge show in the North East - NEOG (North East O Gauge).

Located at the Nissan Sports & Social Club on the 28th & 29th September 2024.

Layouts

1) Ladeside Diesel Depot – BR(SC) 1960s

2) Templegate Wagon Works – BR 1970s

3) Ulverton – BR(SC) 1970/80’s

4) Bankgate Sidings – LNER 1940s

5) Falcon Road – BR(E) 1960s

6) High Grange – BR(NE) 1950/60s

7) Selby Bridge – LNER 1920/30’s

8) Aston – GWR

9) Invermire – BR(SC) 1980s

10) Falstone – LNER 1920’s

11) Donegal – Irish Narrow Gauge

12) Dalnottar Riverside – BR(SC) 1970/80s

13) Test Track

Demonstrations

1) Dave Dunn - Railway Photographic Slide Show

2) Garry Lane – Wagon Building

3) Andrew Proctor - Weathering

4) Lee Edmondson – DCC fitting

5) Paul Moore – Painting & Lining

6) Gauge O Guild & Soldering Demo

Traders

1) Northumbrian Painting Services

2) Squires Tools

3) Durham trains of Stanley

4) Connoisseur Models

5) GM Transport Books

6) Durham Locomotive Preservation Group

7) Skytrex

8) Greenwood & Duncan Models

9) White Rose Baseboards

10) 1039 Models

11) PRMRP

12) Trainsporters

13) Ian Kirk

Looks like it will be as good as last year, and a much better balance between trade, demonstrators and layouts than GoG achieves. 

In past years there have been comments about difficulties of finding the location through the extensive Nissan estate. Last year it was very clearly signposted, so assume will be the same again. 

Paul

8 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Looks like it will be as good as last year, and a much better balance between trade, demonstrators and layouts than GoG achieves. 

In past years there have been comments about difficulties of finding the location through the extensive Nissan estate. Last year it was very clearly signposted, so assume will be the same again. 

Paul

Hi Paul,

It will be as well sign posted as last year. Also the back of the poster has a map of the Nissan area as well as the 'What Three Words' location.

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...