Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Midland Spinner

Hi, does anyone have any recommendations/favourite paints for Midland red on a pre-grouping Spinner?

Cheers

Simon

1 minute ago, sej said:

That's very nice, thanks. What colour did you use?

Cheers

Simon

Edited the post as to colour. 

On 25/03/2024 at 13:54, sej said:

Hi Ian, it's a 4mm Spinner, I'll spray it. What do you use for Midland locos?

Cheers

Simon

I use a cellulose paint matched to Precision Paints LMS Crimson Lake, which is probably the best colour on the market and it’s available in gloss. You say ‘I’ll spray it’ , do you mean a rattle can or air brush? Rover Damask Red is probably discontinued now and it’s also a little pink. LMS, MR & BR Crimson Lake/ Maroon are all the same colour.

Ian R

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ian Rathbone said:

I use a cellulose paint matched to Precision Paints LMS Crimson Lake, which is probably the best colour on the market and it’s available in gloss. You say ‘I’ll spray it’ , do you mean a rattle can or air brush? Rover Damask Red is probably discontinued now and it’s also a little pink. LMS, MR & BR Crimson Lake/ Maroon are all the same colour.

Ian R

I have today purchased a couple of rattle-cans of Ford Burgundy Red from Halfords, which is my standard representation of BR Coach Crimson / Maroon.

This time, it is for a couple of Southern Pride kits of the ANGLO SCOTTISH CAR CARRIERs.

To my eyes, it is a spot-on reproduction of what I saw at 1:1 on the 'big railway'.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Surely two completely different things!

As I understand it, Midland / LMS / BR 'maroon' is Crimson Lake; BR 'blood' is Carmine.

CJI.

• Agree 1

If a rattle can and you have Motor Factors near you that will mix paint, I used RAL 3005 after researching. (As in picking the brains of others )!

HTH

Edited by Carnforth
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

LMS, MR & BR Crimson Lake/ Maroon are all the same colour.

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Surely two completely different things!

Apart from using different components to the mixture due to changes in the chemical compositions over the years, what Ian says is correct. The finished colour remained the same. Don't get confused with the red of 'Blood and Custard' which I believe is officially described as 'Carmine' and actually is a different colour.

Thanks everyone. Very interesting! I would love to get hold of some cellulose paint, I use an airbrush in a very well ventilated shed! Where do you source yours Ian?

Cheers Simon

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, sej said:

Thanks everyone. Very interesting! I would love to get hold of some cellulose paint, I use an airbrush in a very well ventilated shed! Where do you source yours Ian?

Cheers Simon

Cellulose paint, contrary to popular belief, IS still available.

Any good car factor should be able to supply it, either in tins or as aerosols.

You may have to provide some evidence that you require the paint for professional use - a home printed business card for, say, 'Joe Bloggs, Model Railway Locomotive Painter' should suffice.

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Don't get confused with the red of 'Blood and Custard' which I believe is officially described as 'Carmine' and actually is a different colour.

I have read in several places that the official name of the early red colour was BR Crimson. Carmine was coined later (can't recall if it was an author or a modeller).

Anecdotal but Precision call theirs BR Coach Crimson (blood), and Railmatch call theirs crimson.

found the quote - "I believe the use of the word "carmine" is down to J N Maskelyne, sometime editor or the Model Railway News"

Irrelevant to this thread obviously 

Edited by Hal Nail

On 25/03/2024 at 14:41, 33C said:

Rover Damask red auto spray paint is as near as dammit!

20201029_005524.jpg

To your eyes it is correct and that is fine .

But I doubt there is anyone alive today who has seen  Midland loco straight out of the works and could define its colour. Colour perception and memory is poor. Light conditions,  weathering and fading of colour make a huge difference.

I had a friend, a professional mountain artist, who couldn't always finish paintings on the hill. She made colour swatches before she started so that she had references to work from. Sadly she is no longer with us but I do own two of her paintings.

Nick

• Like 1

Precisely. Colour fades over time. So if the shade is bright, ex. works. If dulled, service sheen. If black, needs a clean!

Pick a time in the life of the loco and your colour will match.