Phone to Z21 connection issue

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

My iphone is refusing to connect to my Z21.

I've checked the IP settings and all looks ok to me but I'm the first to admit I'm no expert (far from it!).

All I'm getting is "No Connection to Z21" in the programming tab and a light grey pop-up message of "A network error has occurred".

My ipad is still working fine so I'd assume the Z21 itself isn't the problem.

Any ideas other than buying a different DCC system?

When you say the settings look OK, it worries me because they are clearly not OK 😏

What is the base address for your router?

what address have you put into the phone for the address of the Z21?

Have you changed the ip address in the z21?

we need this to understand what “might” be wrong 

2 hours ago, DaveArkley said:

Why would you buy a new system as it wouldn't solve this? This is clearly a network config problem on your iPhone since the iPad works fine

Cheers

Dave

Because I really need to use my phone rather than iPad as a throttle. If I can't I'll need to find a system I can actually use.  

I've asked on several Facebook groups so far no one can find what the problem is.

54 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

When you say the settings look OK, it worries me because they are clearly not OK 😏

What is the base address for your router?

what address have you put into the phone for the address of the Z21?

Have you changed the ip address in the z21?

we need this to understand what “might” be wrong 

IP address of the router is 192.168.0.111 which i believe is the default address it's supplied with.

The phone can see the TP-Link router on the wifi network and shows an IP address of 192.168.0.100, Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 and Router 192.168.0.1

It was happily working one day and then not the next without me making any changes to the settings.

The ip address of the router will not be 192.168.0,111 - that is the address of the Z21 and you need to enter that address into the Z21 app as the Z21 address.

The address you see on the router *may* be the phone address as 192.168.0.100, and the tplink router address will be 192.168.0.1

You have mentioned the correct addresses, but not with the correct descriptions which suggests tht you have one, or more entered incorrectly.

Also, what colour is your z21?

Hi,

I have had similar issues with my Z21 and iPhone. It seems to happen most often if I have the Z21 and router switched on and then I walk out of range with my iPhone connected to the Z21, when I walk back in range the App on the iPhone won't connect to the Z21 and I get the 'network error'. If I cycle power on the router and the Z21 that sometimes fixes the issue.

This happened quite often starting about 4 years ago, but happens far less frequently nowadays.

What version of the App are you using and what version of Z21 firmware is loaded? Later versions may have attempted to fix this issue.

Unfortunately it's what is know in the industry as a "corner case", the vast majority of uses will never see the issue but a few will, it also means that it's difficult to work out what the root cause may be. There's almost certainly nothing wrong with your settings.

I wouldn't give up on the Z21 just yet.

Regards,

John P

1 minute ago, jpendle said:

"corner case"

John, the term normally used is edge case because the majority of users fall within the standard bell curve, and it is very, very few people that fall into the 'edges' with problems, hence edge cases ;)

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

The ip address of the router will not be 192.168.0,111 - that is the address of the Z21 and you need to enter that address into the Z21 app as the Z21 address.

The address you see on the router *may* be the phone address as 192.168.0.100, and the tplink router address will be 192.168.0.1

You have mentioned the correct addresses, but not with the correct descriptions which suggests tht you have one, or more entered incorrectly.

Also, what colour is your z21?

Ok sorry I was told the router address was 192.168.0.111. Its the address shown in the Z21 settings tab with a "Reconnect to Z21" button below.

I have haven't entered or changed any addresses. It's running purely the default, out of the box settings.

Its the Black Z21.

13 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

John, the term normally used is edge case because the majority of users fall within the standard bell curve, and it is very, very few people that fall into the 'edges' with problems, hence edge cases ;)

Ahh!

In the electronics industry design engineers will have boards built to see if the 'corners' work, i.e fast memory/slow cpu, fast-fast, slow-slow etc. Hence my use of the term corner case.

But we're talking about the same thing 😀

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Hi,

I have had similar issues with my Z21 and iPhone. It seems to happen most often if I have the Z21 and router switched on and then I walk out of range with my iPhone connected to the Z21, when I walk back in range the App on the iPhone won't connect to the Z21 and I get the 'network error'. If I cycle power on the router and the Z21 that sometimes fixes the issue.

This happened quite often starting about 4 years ago, but happens far less frequently nowadays.

What version of the App are you using and what version of Z21 firmware is loaded? Later versions may have attempted to fix this issue.

Unfortunately it's what is know in the industry as a "corner case", the vast majority of uses will never see the issue but a few will, it also means that it's difficult to work out what the root cause may be. There's almost certainly nothing wrong with your settings.

I wouldn't give up on the Z21 just yet.

Regards,

John P

That would make a lot of sense as it was working fine until a couple of days ago. 

The App is the latest version. I'd have to check the Z21 firmware version as I'm not at home currently.